Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you fast IM guys EAT (not liquid calories) during an IM bike? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I see this as an interesting topic. The full IM pace, while at power beyond what I can sniff at, is still at a relatively lower % of 20min or hour power.

There are world tour cyclists who eat solid food day in and day out on month long tours. They might not eat solid right before a mountain climb attack for 45 minutes. But they certainly are taking solid food in the feed bags at some point in the stages.

I've been bike racing a long time at a local/regional level, and back in the day solid food plus sports drinks was normal in races - and we'd be doing pretty high intensity. It is very doable if you practice.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: What do you fast IM guys EAT (not liquid calories) during an IM bike? [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear this a lot about EFS liquid shot, that it’s not good in the heat. What’s the reason for that? I’ve used it in a couple of really hot races and have felt fine, but could see some not liking the feel of drinking basically hot chocolate in the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you fast IM guys EAT (not liquid calories) during an IM bike? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a little more than 9h at Kona. It's fast for some guys, but slow for others, so...
I adapt my nutrition during 2-3month before the race : LCHF and reload carbs during 2-3 last days.
During swimming : essentially sea water, for sodium lol
On the bike : usually 2 bars, when I am a little hungry (whatever which ones, I think it was Cliff last year at Kona). I drink only water to avoid sugar taste in my mouth.
On the run : water + sometimes a sugar gum (Cliff one's were nice, easy to eat).
Very low calories ingested during the race (probably less than 1000kcal), but never got an lake or diminution in energy in my 3 Ironmans.
Not easy to cut 90% of carbs during training period (physically and mentally) but worth it during the race.
After some weeks of adaptation, I can ride 100-120miles without eating (but it's not mentally easy because I reeeeeeally like eating).
Quote Reply
Re: What do you fast IM guys EAT (not liquid calories) during an IM bike? [unclesam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That sounds horrible lol
Quote Reply
Re: What do you fast IM guys EAT (not liquid calories) during an IM bike? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i get one bar down on the bike, usually one bite every 20 minutes or so over the first couple hours. then a bag of chews spread over the next two hours. that is the only solids on the day. banana from an aid station sometimes as well. 275-300 cal an hour on the bike, about 30oz of liquid an hour.

i have used EFS and Skratch, both are fine for me.

on the run i take one sip of sugar and one of water every aid station, and a gel every 5 miles. i let that gel sit in my mouth for a while so it is not hitting the tummy all at once.

contrary to most conventional wisdom, i do not train with the products i race with very often. don't want to get sick of them. maybe once or 2x a month. in training i eat normal stuff on the bike like rice bars, or clif bars
Quote Reply
Re: What do you fast IM guys EAT (not liquid calories) during an IM bike? [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Salt tablets, Honey Waffles etc. Losing confidence in my IM bike nutrition stradegy

Almost half (42%) of the calories in honey waffles are from fat, which is of little value to ingest during a race. It's taking up valuable GI effort that would be better spent on carbohydrate. I would start by using something that's mostly carbohydrate, and consider liquid only. There is no reason to eat solid food.

Anything you recommend me TRYING on say long IM pace ride? Honey Stinger waffles just ain't cutting it.

Appreciate everyone's feedback and expericances..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
robgray wrote:
thatzone wrote:
Salt tablets, Honey Waffles etc. Losing confidence in my IM bike nutrition stradegy

Almost half (42%) of the calories in honey waffles are from fat, which is of little value to ingest during a race. It's taking up valuable GI effort that would be better spent on carbohydrate. I would start by using something that's mostly carbohydrate, and consider liquid only. There is no reason to eat solid food.

Anything you recommend me TRYING on say long IM pace ride? Honey Stinger waffles just ain't cutting it.

Couple things:

1, on the honey stinger thing: Random advice, but if you *do* stick with them, I suggest going for the gluten free ones over the normal ons for a couple reasons. Lower calories from fat to the above comment, but more importantly, they don't get anywhere NEARLY as sticky and crumbly as the normal ones after a few hours in a jersey pocket. Just trust me on this, the GF ones are way, way better to eat on the bike.

Secondly, and more on topic: My work puts on three cross country cycling trips each summer. By far, one of the single most loved on-bike solid snacks are the Skratch Labs chews. They're light enough flavored you won't hate them after a while, they don't get sticky gummy in your mouth, and 0 cal from fat. I like the matcha tea ones. Suggest checking them out:

https://www.skratchlabs.com/products/sport-energy-chews

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
robgray wrote:
thatzone wrote:

EFS Pro, EFS liquid shot, GU gels, Hammer gels, etc. Basically anything that is primarily maltodextrin (complex carbs).

blog
Quote Reply
Re: What do you fast IM guys EAT (not liquid calories) during an IM bike? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the Infinit users what is the current thought on protein. Keep-Reduce-or don't need. I'm 6'4" 190#- looking for 5ish on the bike. My current formula is 343 calories with 4g (7%). I haven't had issues but i get pretty bloated feeling. I'm only using liquid (Infinit) for the bike and use on-course stuff for the run. Thank you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next