Login required to post replies

Cavendish eppstein Barr virus
Quote | Reply
Video from Cavendish :

ttps://http://www.instagram.com/...;igshid=2oygnnlfq9id
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shame, was planning on getting tickets for an indoor track meeting with Cav top of the bill, not sure i'll bother now.
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, virtually all of us have this virus in us, just to be activated takes some serious stresses. I have had 4 bouts of it since 1983, and I have to continue to watch out for those bastards. Took me 6 months the first two times, over a year and up to a couple years for the last bout. I suppose youth and a very strong immune system help you recover quicker, and it makes sense that each time you flare up, it gets harder to shake as you age.

Anyway I think a lot of people have this and just dont know it, gets lumped into the chronic fatigue category and just never gets diagnosed. Glad Cav got his diagnosed, now it is time to put down the cranks and take a long needed rest..
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're mixing EBV (aka mono) with VZV (chicken pox/shingles). VZV is the one that lays dormant in those who have had chicken pox and can later reactivate as shingles. EBV/mono is the "kissing" disease and spread by sputum or other bodily fluids (e.g. blood, semen, etc.).

There are some people who do have a prolonged post-infectious symptoms. Some of my patients have symptoms for up to a year.
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hubcaps wrote:
You're mixing EBV (aka mono) with VZV (chicken pox/shingles). VZV is the one that lays dormant in those who have had chicken pox and can later reactivate as shingles. EBV/mono is the "kissing" disease and spread by sputum or other bodily fluids (e.g. blood, semen, etc.).

There are some people who do have a prolonged post-infectious symptoms. Some of my patients have symptoms for up to a year.

You had me at blood and semen.
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [hubcaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're mixing EBV (aka mono) with VZV (chicken pox/shingles). VZV is the one that lays dormant in those who have had chicken pox and can later reactivate as shingles..

It has been awhile, but I remember my doc saying that virtually everyone in the states had this in them, so I looked it up;

"Most people become infected with EBV and gain adaptive immunity. In the United States, about half of all five-year-old children and about 90 percent of adults have evidence of previous infection."

So it is the one I was thinking of, we are all ticking time bombs. And you have had lucky patients, I know of a few that have had it for many years, one guy for over 20+. That's the shitty thing, no cure, just rest and hope your body can fight it into remission. SO what you do during that fight can affect things either in a negative or positive way, but best to just find something soft to do for 6 months. I know I tried to come back and train too soon, and just relapsed. Well not a relapse, but an increased viral load that I had to start fighting all over.

Good news now is that you can actually test for it. In my day you could just test for antibodies, so you really couldn't know exactly when it had been in remission. Now I get a test for the actual DNA of the virus itself, so they know exactly how many, and how active it is...
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ntc wrote:
You had me at blood and semen.

You sound like that Goth chick I knew

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol

I forgot to mention HSV-1 and 2 which also stay dormant and can reactivate. These are also known as oral and genital herpes.
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Anyway I think a lot of people have this and just dont know it, gets lumped into the chronic fatigue category and just never gets diagnosed.

Nearly terminal mono when I was 17 (so weak I couldn't walk). ~1 yr recovery. Similar symptoms when I was 29, not as severe but took over a year to recover. Lots of tests then and no diagnosis. Several bouts in the 30 years since.
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im a top level triathlete and multiple time kona qualifier. I got this diagnosis for "Reactivated" EBV 7 weeks ago now. It's been the hardest thing Ive ever had to overcome on so many levels. Any tips would be helpful. Can wait to be normal again. Thanks-
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [HNUT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HNUT wrote:
Im a top level triathlete and multiple time kona qualifier. I got this diagnosis for "Reactivated" EBV 7 weeks ago now. It's been the hardest thing Ive ever had to overcome on so many levels. Any tips would be helpful. Can wait to be normal again. Thanks-

Patience and rest is the best thing. I have never been the same person since I picked it up in Jan 2017. Sadly, I would just say put your racing plans on hold.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Cavendish eppstein Barr virus [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear. Are you back on your feet now?
Quote Reply