Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Jerk of the Day [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello windschatten and All,

You make a good point .... cyclists should obey the law .... makes it safer for everyone.

..... and motorists should too:

https://twitter.com/.../1033045550084411392

Like the old saw .... this stop sign is a suggestion not an order.

This spot is a 'honey pot' for LEOs .... you could have your quota of tickets in less than an hour and spend the rest of the day having fun ticketing people parked in bike lanes.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Aug 30, 18 21:34
Quote | Reply

I had a friend get a ticket on his bike for runnng a stop sign ..... he laughed and said he deserved it and it was a small price to pay when amortized for all the stop signs he had run in the past.

I cannot do a decent track stand .... and feel vulnerable when I do my crappy version ..... so I most always pop one foot out and 'almost' stop.

I am a fan of 'Idaho' stop and see a couple of other states are adopting it ..... like to see it in California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Jerk of the Day [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wiki wrote:
In 2017, Delaware became the second state to pass an Idaho Stop law, though it doesn't go as far as Idaho's. The Delaware law makes stop-as-yield legal, but it only applies on roads with two travel lanes. Some have called it the "Delaware Stop".[30]

thanks, idnkt
Quote Reply
Re: Jerk of the Day [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:

I had a friend get a ticket on his bike for runnng a stop sign ..... he laughed and said he deserved it and it was a small price to pay when amortized for all the stop signs he had run in the past.

I cannot do a decent track stand .... and feel vulnerable when I do my crappy version ..... so I most always pop one foot out and 'almost' stop.

I am a fan of 'Idaho' stop and see a couple of other states are adopting it ..... like to see it in California.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idaho_stop

I thought "California roll" was a thing, as in already commonplace and not ticketed whether legal or not. That phrase is attached to the words "not legal here" where I live.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well windschatten I didn't say I was a total scofflaw. But if I am out in the country and come to a stop sign where I see no other cars, bikes or barnyard animals using the roads I certainly do not come to a complete stop and touch a foot down like the law in many states say I should. That is totally bending rules, but would anyone ever question that a track stand stop isn't good enough in that situation? Or if I am out gravel grinding and come to a stop sign from one gravel road to another and see no cars, hell I will even roll it without a track stand. It is hard to piss off drivers that aren't there for my misdeed. But still is bending a rule.

Rolling up to a stop sign, track standing with very little movement for a few seconds is still not stopped but will generally pass muster with law enforcement, but will get you a ticket in a car or motorcycle. That is why I say I do bend the law a tad.

Sometimes I go the the sidewalk if an intersection is jammed up with turning vehicles to just get the hell out of the traffic equation. Sort of against the law but not really anything to get law enforcement worked up about. Sometimes on the bike it makes sense for your personal safety to just take yourself out of a moving traffic situation. I have been stopped probably a half dozen times in the last 60 years of riding on public roads for some sort of rule bending, but after talking to the officer and presenting my logical explanation of what I see and did as a rider looking out for my own arse, not a one has ever deemed a violation was ticket worthy.

The dude blowing the school bus was just so wrong. I was just saying that I am not perfect and have bent a few laws, but that guy blowing the school bus move was beyond Jerk of the year material.
Quote Reply

Prev Next