Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

*Attention Mechanics* Bottom Bracket Help!
Quote | Reply
I’ve learned how to service every part of my bike except for the bottom bracket. When I deep cleaned the bike today I noticed it was rough and making some noises so it’s time to change it out.

First thing first is what one should I get to replace it? I have a Cervelo P2 2015 Blue and White version. The one in there now is a press fit and then has these plastic cups that stick out but they snap in and out on both sides fairly easily. I don’t need the cheapest thing but not going super high end either. Please recommend something.

Secondly what tools do I need to remove and install the new BB? I’m sure there is a video on YouTube so if you know one please recommend.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: *Attention Mechanics* Bottom Bracket Help! [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of bottom bracket do you need? BB30, Pressfit 30, BBRight, or something else?
Quote Reply
Re: *Attention Mechanics* Bottom Bracket Help! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know really. The frame says BBRight on it underneath. Which one is best?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the frame says BBRight on it, that is what you need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOJAKBQOU9U

I recommend a Praxis BB. I've been using mine for ~2 years now and it's still going strong. You would need this one:

https://praxiscycles.com/...ct/m30-bbright-road/

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: *Attention Mechanics* Bottom Bracket Help! [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would agree to get either a Praxis or a Wheels Mfg bottom bracket (here is the Wheels one: https://wheelsmfg.com/...rackets/bbright.html)

Fitting a Praxis one just requires two Shimano bottom bracket tools and is dead straightforward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the sounds of it, you're running the pressfit 30 BB with some reducers (the parts that come off easily) - either Shimano or GXP spindle.

First you're going to need to remove the pressfit BB from the frame, the tool that does both is this one from Enduro. This will only work if you're installing another pressfit, if you're installing a 24mm or GXP specific BBRight, which I would recommend, you'll need a BB press with the appropriate drifts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 2014 version of that bike.

Get the Wheels Manufacturing BB listed in post 6 by rmt

PF30-THD-AC or PF30-THD-BB if you have the original BB
Quote Reply
Re: *Attention Mechanics* Bottom Bracket Help! [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okay thank you. One other question is that I have 24mm wheels mfg adapters to get from 30mm to 24mm right now is there a way to do that without the adapter? Like an all in one pf30 with 24mm Shimano Ultegra spindles?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please tell us exactly which crank you are using. Since you are using some 24mm adapters I'm assuming that it is not the stock crank.

If you don't know a picture may help.
Last edited by: jaretj: Aug 29, 18 2:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mbecks2 wrote:
Okay thank you. One other question is tha.t I have 24mm wheels mfg adapters to get from 30mm to 24mm right now is there a way to do that without the adapter? Like an all in one pf30 with 24mm Shimano Ultegra spindles?

Sounds like you need one of these.

BBRight and 24mm spindles.

Or this one. I know nothing about it, just now saw it with a google search. Looks intriguing though.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: *Attention Mechanics* Bottom Bracket Help! [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I’m guessing this too. The bike originally came with PF30 and FSA Gossamer cranks but replaced with Ultegra di2 and guessing that’s when the bike shop but those wheels mfg adapters on to get to 24mm without changing the BB.

The BBinfinite Direct Fit one piece that the last poster mentioned looks interesting if you think it would work might try it. It says it stops the creaking since it’s all one piece.
Quote Reply
Re: *Attention Mechanics* Bottom Bracket Help! [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
mbecks2 wrote:
Okay thank you. One other question is tha.t I have 24mm wheels mfg adapters to get from 30mm to 24mm right now is there a way to do that without the adapter? Like an all in one pf30 with 24mm Shimano Ultegra spindles?

Sounds like you need one of these.

BBRight and 24mm spindles.

Or this one. I know nothing about it, just now saw it with a google search. Looks intriguing though.

Another vote to get the two piece Wheelsmfg unit. They hold tight since the two pieces screw together. I have one in my Felt, works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BBRight is the same as PF30 in terms of the diameter and bearing cups. But if you are using Shimano Hollowtech II 24mm crankset, then the Wheels Manufacturing BBRight/Shimano Conversion bottom bracket is the by far the best solution if you want a tight and creak-free fit.
Quote Reply
Re: *Attention Mechanics* Bottom Bracket Help! [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds good, that's what I purchased...thank you to everyone for your input and help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have a 2015 P2, and installed a Wheels Manufacturing BB with ceramic bearings (not the angular contact one). I replaced it eight months later with BBInfinite due to creaking. No issues with the BBInfinite after two years of use, though it will be a slight inconvenience if I put Di2 on the bike since I will need a special tool to remove the BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth in the future.

1. Use a dental pick to pop off the dust cover to the BB bearings.
2. Liberally spray with a solvent
3. Blast with air compressor
4. Liberally spray with rubbing alcohol
5. Blast with Air compressor
6. Add a few drops of 3-in-1 oil
7. Pop dust seals back on.
8. Spin crank and grin as they whizz around and around and...

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I recommend getting a new (actually old) bike, circa 2010, that has a threaded bottom bracket. Otherwise, you will be dealing with this every six months or so.

-------------------------

"we can stamp out press fit in your life time"

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Bottom Bracket Help for New Custom Cervelo P3 built [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi All

I don't want to start separate thread this is why I'm asking here.

Situation is.

New Frame Cervelo P3 for custom built bike.
Looking to use Shimano Ultegra 6800 or Dura Ace 9000 crankset.

Now looking for options for BB.

Can you based on you knowledge share posible options. ?
I'm really curious if ceramic is way better to avoid cracking and to safe some vats.
I'm big rider over 90kg with quite strong Power in legs.

Ths for giving me some instructions on this topic.

Artur.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Help for New Custom Cervelo P3 built [kostrzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ceramic bearings are quite brittle and prone to cracking.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottom Bracket Help for New Custom Cervelo P3 built [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. This was mine assumption.

But can you recommend standard BB for Cervelo P3 2018.
Any recommendations?

Thx. Artur.
Quote Reply