Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Long Distance Saddle
Quote | Reply
So I am curious to any recommendations for a new bike saddle. I have a nice Fizik sleek but hard and not ideal for IM distance. With IMFLA coming up was looking for something more comfortable around mile 80 get numb and lean more to one side due to the discomfort. Open to your suggestions and recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Blazeman Warrior - WarOnALS
Decision must be instant...Commitment Must be Total - Blazeman
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Saddle [Ironman4ALS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here are some popular saddles:
- Cobb JOF 55
- ISM PN 3.0
- Cobb Max
- Dash Stage / Strike
- Bontrager Hilo

These are the type where you sit on the tip with your junk off the front. The usable area is the first few inches so you might have to push the saddle a bit further back behind the bottom bracket.

https://www.ismseat.com/setup-guide/

Ironman4ALS wrote:
So I am curious to any recommendations for a new bike saddle. I have a nice Fizik sleek but hard and not ideal for IM distance. With IMFLA coming up was looking for something more comfortable around mile 80 get numb and lean more to one side due to the discomfort. Open to your suggestions and recommendations.
Thank you in advance.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if numbness is an issue look at the ism line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's such a thing as a long distance saddle.
I'd be inclined to think that if your current saddle is okay for a few hours but not the full ride, then either your expectations are unrealistic or it's not the best saddle for you at any distance. Maybe you're just able to get away with it for shorter rides.

By the way, what does "sleek" mean? Surely you're not saying the saddles aerodynamics are a factor in your choice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it right to assume this is a time trial type bike?

Have you had a bike fit? It's easy to go down the wrong route if you are trying to figure this out yourself and end up sitting in an odd place on the saddle with maybe the rest of the fit contributing to discomfort. A fit is a good chance to get a fresh perspective. If you let them know you are interested in different saddles you could choose a fitter with an interesting bunch available to try. If it saves you buying a saddle that later proves useless then take that off the cost of a fit and it suddenly becomes great value for money.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Saddle [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't think there's such a thing as a long distance saddle.

There is - 38 143 kms around the world on a Brooks leather saddle.

Trust me I’m a doctor!
Well, I have a PhD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
try demo program at your LBS from ISM and Fizik. For me ISM PS did not work very well due to saddle sores on pubic rami and its wide nose section.
Fizik Mistica works for me better with its 55mm nose .
It is however a very personal thing to find a saddle nirvana.
Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like SMP saddles. I just haven't had luck having people choose them as their TRI saddles after I've positioned them the way I think they should be fit during the activations I've been engaged in (road shows mostly). Lots of caveats there.
Quote Reply
Re: Long Distance Saddle [Corsaspeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Corsaspeed wrote:
I like SMP saddles. I just haven't had luck having people choose them as their TRI saddles after I've positioned them the way I think they should be fit during the activations I've been engaged in (road shows mostly). Lots of caveats there.

Which SMP saddles do you like, specifically? I've had my eye on them for quite some time, but haven't pulled the trigger. The eyeball test tells me they ought to be perfect for tri bike riding in a hilly area. The nose drop would seem to allow you to slide forward and hang your nuggets off the front, but the rear of the seat still affords you a traditional position for climbing. Am I off base in my thinking? Why aren't your clients choosing them? Thank you in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, saddles are extremely personal.

With that said, I find the Elaston version of the Specialized Power to quite comfortable.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply