Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ultegra Di2, which version should I get?
Quote | Reply
I heard the new 8050 Di2 only supports full synchro shifting which apparently a lot of STers here hate. Does that mean I should get an older version (6870?) which also supports non-synchro and semi-synchro in addition to the full synchro mode?

Please forgive me if this has been asked a million times (I'm sure it's been asked before), but it is really confusing to me and I'm totally lost.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2, which version should I get? [tie3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is really only the shift buttons... the latest shift TT shift buttons and brakes for both Ultegra and Dura Ace are single-button. However, you can get the prior gen versions of those buttons & brakes and you would be all set. You can use the latest Ultegra or DA RD and FD.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2, which version should I get? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
My parts list:
  • Rear Derailleur RD-R8050
  • Front Derailleur FD-R8050
  • Brake Shifters ST-R8060
  • Bar Shifters SW-R9160
  • Bar-end Junction A EW-RS910
  • Junction B 4-port 2x SM-JC41
  • Wireless Unit EW-WU111
  • Battery BT-DN110
  • Battery Charger SM-BCR2
  • Cable Brakes-B1 EW-JC130-SM
  • Cable Extension-A 400mm
  • Cable Extension-B1 500mm
  • Cable A-B1 200mm
  • Cable B1-WU101 150mm
  • Cable WU101-B2 800mm
  • Cable B2-Battery 250mm
  • Cable B2-FD 300mm
  • Cable B2-RD 650mm

Thanks, exxxviii ! I was just reading your upgrade thread. Since you got 9160 and 8060, that means you are using the full synchro mode (one-button shifters)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can turn off full synchronized mode.

You’re getting bad advice if someone is telling you not to buy the latest group set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Correct... I have fully synchro on my TT bike. I debated getting the dual button shifters. The hybrid I considered most was getting single-button shifters for the extensions and the dual button shifters for the brakes. That would have enabled me to be manual or semi synchro and shift the FD from the brakes while only shifting RD from the extensions.

But, I just decided to go all in with the full synchro setup. I actually love synchro on a TT bike and would do it this way every time in the future.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the two button tri shifters (SW-R671), I prefer these over the single button. You can always program the two button to work as single button, but not the other way around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the full syncro. don't listen to the haters. try it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2, which version should I get? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgive my super ignorance, but what is full syncro function?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2, which version should I get? [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Manual = What you might thing... one pair of buttons control RD and the other pair controls FD; that's all
Semi-Synchro = Manual, but DI2 automatically counter-shifts RD when you do a FD shift. For example, let's say you are on the 38-21 combo, and you shift the FD up to the 52. As you shift, Di2 will automatically shift your RD two cogs easier, to the 25 cog.
Synchro = No more FD shifting. As you shift through the RD gears, when you near the limit, Di2 will automatically shift the RD and then do the RD counter-shift like with Semi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate that!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2, which version should I get? [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think anyone said or advised against full syncro shifting, we are talking about being able to support additional modes. I really like syncro shifting too, specially on the road, but I also appreciate being able to use manual mode on the trainer so I don't have to deal with the FD changing on its own when doing intervals.
The two button shifters allow me to use different modes, and it can mimic the single buttons setup trough programming. The one button restricts me to one mode.
Last edited by: Art M.: Aug 28, 18 16:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
The hybrid I considered most was getting single-button shifters for the extensions and the dual button shifters for the brakes. That would have enabled me to be manual or semi synchro and shift the FD from the brakes while only shifting RD from the extensions.

You can even do that? So the Junction A/B would let you have that type of config setup?
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2, which version should I get? [Art M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Art M. wrote:
I don't think anyone said or advised against full syncro shifting, we are talking about being able to support additional modes. I really like syncro shifting too, specially on the road, but I also appreciate being able to use manual mode on the trainer so I don't have to deal with the FD changing on it's own when doing intervals.
The two button shifters allow me to use different modes, and it can mimic the single buttons setup trough programming. The one button restricts me to one mode.

Now that’s a great reason to have two buttons or hybrid setup. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the Junction A and B are just dumb wire splice devices. They don’t care. You program the buttons with the E-Tube software and configure the two shift programs. I am pretty sure the defaults for the buttons would be what you want. If you did that setup, you would probably want to have your Junction A handy so you can switch between shift modes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
get a SRAM eTap Aero upgrade set instead....no hassle with cables, junction boxes , seat post batteries, etc.....
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2, which version should I get? [xoslic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xoslic wrote:
get a SRAM eTap Aero upgrade set instead....no hassle with cables, junction boxes , seat post batteries, etc.....

Got one for sale in the classifieds... Just saying. Charge it up and go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xoslic wrote:

I after reading that parts list for Di2 I have to agree with you. My 1x eTap upgrade was
1. Rear derailleur (450$h
2. Blip box (200$)
3. Blips. (90$)

Add in the 6 watt loss that 3T estimates for running 2x, and the fact that you can do an eTap install in under 20 minutes, and ... wow just wow!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
xoslic wrote:

Thank you! Great info!
Quote Reply
Re: Ultegra Di2, which version should I get? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was some recent testing that showed front derailleur aero penalty was a wash. Can’t remember who did that testing or released it but was one ST.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
xoslic wrote:

I after reading that parts list for Di2 I have to agree with you. My 1x eTap upgrade was
2. Blip box (200$)
3. Blips. (90$)

Add in the 6 watt loss that 3T estimates for running 2x, and the fact that you can do an eTap install in under 20 minutes, and ... wow just wow!

Do you also need blips, batteries and charger?

Either way the etap seems so much better

I basically said forget upgrading my P2 because I was looking at the shimano

But after reading your post I’m reconsidering
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
xoslic wrote:

2. Blip box (200$)
3. Blips. (90$)

Where did you find these parts at these prices please?
Quote Reply