Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want to thank those of you (jimatbeyond, exxxviii, spdntrxi, ericmpro, and others) for your continued encouragement to get a disc. I got the ENVE SES Disc last week, set it up tubeless this weekend, and took it out for my first race-rehearsal ride today. Second only to my power meter, it's the best equipment purchase I've ever made.The improvement it makes to the stability of the bike is just awesome, significantly more noticeable than I expected.

As many of you know, I've had some issues getting comfortable with the handling of my new Speedmax, to the point where I was falling off my power targets due to confidence rather than fitness. I just NAILED my workout today. I was hauling ass in aero, crushing out VO2 max repeats which normally would have had me sitting up on the base bars, comfortable, relaxed. It was awesome, and the first time I've really enjoyed going fast on the bike.

There was really no downside. Yes it accelerated a bit slower, but it also holds speed better (which I think is more important). It's like riding a trainer with a heavier flywheel vs a lighter one... the bike just rolls smoother. The bike does corner a bit differently -- it's sort of like the disc doesn't really flex as much in a hard corner and so you have to manage grip a bit more carefully, but I think that's something I'd get used to with some addition time on the wheel.

For others who come across this thread in the future -- if you're contemplating buying a disc and can afford it, just do it. Doesn't matter how fast/slow you are, whether you're aiming for the podium or just finishing. Discs just rock. I'm a convert. I plan to train and race on this thing exclusively through the end of the season (Santa Rosa 70.3 and Santa Cruz 70.3) and race a disc from here on out anytime the course/race director allows.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I ride HIMs and Olympics in the 21-22 range. It used to be that the only people pass me had discs. I upgraded to a disc. Now fewer people pass me.

A disc is always faster than an 80mm or 90mm rear. A disc looks cooler. A disc is more stable.

Same here. At local Sprint tris, I couldn't go over 18.9mph no matter what I do with my old Trek road bike. Got a tri bike and went all out with Zipp disc with 808 in the front(both tubular). I usually average 22-23mph and no one can pass me now. Of course, I got stronger too through the time.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
Two part question:

1) If you're a front of the middle of the pack cyclist, do you look like a schmuck riding a disc wheel (at 20-22 mph for an OLY, for example)?
2) At what point/speed does a disc become meaningfully faster and/or more stable (due to sail effect) than a deep 808-or-equivalent rear?

I always create arbitrary limits for myself when I have these types of concerns. Example: I get to begin shopping around for new bikes after my FTP is above 4.2. I have a ways to go, but until then, my $400 craigslist bike will be passing dudes on $6,000 machines. And I guess there's some amount of pride in that. It's also motivating for training.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
The bike does corner a bit differently -- it's sort of like the disc doesn't really flex as much in a hard corner and so you have to manage grip a bit more carefully, but I think that's something I'd get used to with some addition time on the wheel.

I raced with a Disc wheel for 15 years (well over 100 Triathlons). Loved the disc. Plenty of extremely windy days and no more (often less) problems that other athletes without discs.

However on a course with fast technical corners, I never got used to the 'different cornering feeling' of the disc. Some people got used to it, I didn't. And I could tell I lost small amounts of time on each fast technical corner. Luckily most Triathlon/Duathlon courses do not have any (or many) fast technical corners. Note that I have done 50 or so Track Days on my motorbike (mostly at Phillip Is MotoGP course), cornering with my knee down around 180kph - so I know how to corner.

The reason I went back to an 808 rear wheel is because most of my 'A' races involve travelling. This means I can only take one set of wheels. In recent times it seems race directors are quick to ban disc wheels. So it just makes life simple to use an non-disc rear.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathlon Tarren has done a test and says you need to be doing 40km/h + otherwise the disc is actually slower?

Quote Reply
Re: How fast do you need to be to credibly ride a disc? [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You forgot the /pink

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Triathlon Tarren has done a test and says you need to be doing 40km/h + otherwise the disc is actually slower?

With 225W you're going about 37 km/h.
How can he make statements concerning 40 km/h. (first point).
Second point: Did he incorporate the acceleration parts (two times in 8 minutes is a lot).
Third point: upto now I've only seen tests outside where a disk is faster, also at speeds < 40.
Fourth point: if you're doing 30 km/h with a headwind of 10 your relative speed is 40.
Maybe Triathlon Tarren should have removed the chewing gum in the disk- bearings.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Jul 15, 19 5:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is so much wrong with that test, I don't even know where to begin other than his data is completely useless.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. No
2. 12 m.p.h.
Quote Reply

Prev Next