Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Going to be in Aberdeen UK for a week, need sbr guidance while there
Quote | Reply
Unexpected work trip. Going to be there for a week, 4 weeks out from IMMD. So need to get in lots of training while there.

Looks like our office is by the airport.

Hotel in that area where I can go for a run straight from the hotel? Running routes?
Pool nearby?
Bike rental? Routes?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Going to be in Aberdeen UK for a week, need sbr guidance while there [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so quick chat with co-worker sounds like it's better to stay in town so my options are pretty open then.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to be in Aberdeen UK for a week, need sbr guidance while there [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live about 80miles west of Aberdeen, spend some time there also with work

Around airport its all hotels/offices- offshore oil and gas companies/crap restaurants...like the previous post said, try and get a hotel in town - plenty of buses or taxis/uber to get from airport to town though so no problem if your company makes you stay at airport.

Pool
http://www.aberdeensportsvillage.com/aquatics/aquaticstimetables
50m pool- some days the put the divider down so its only 25m.. the time table shows up to 4 weeks in advanced.

Running
There's some running clubs that meet at the sportsvillage and head out from there, think its Tuesday and Thursday 6:30/7pm

If the weathers miserable, normally is... you can train at the sportsvillage, not sure the costs of it but see the link
http://www.aberdeensportsvillage.com/ plenty of treadmills/spin bikes

be very careful if you do hire a bike as busy roads around airport and town center - I'm not sure where you could hire one though

running club is Aberdeen metro, they meet Tuesday/thursday, no experience with them but pretty sure they let you join in training for the week

http://www.metroaberdeen.co.uk/training.html

Quote Reply
Re: Going to be in Aberdeen UK for a week, need sbr guidance while there [Jc95kg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Aberdeen sports village looks pretty good. Also heard about the pool at the university right next door for 5 quid.

So apparently BA will let you check a bike box for free, wish I had known that before booking. I'm on united and it looks like it'll cost me $500 round trip, but that still is probably my best option. That and bringing my feedback sports omnium and riding in the room mostly.

I have time one day to do a longer ride, so if anyone can recommend a good place to start and a good route I would appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To nail down a hotel, are there sidewalks everywhere? To simplify things I'd love to just run out from the hotel in the morning, then take taxi to work later. That would save me the most time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spent a couple weeks up there for work a few years back and did a fair number of runs. Yes, there are sidewalks everywhere (assuming you're in town). Generally rolling hills wherever you go. Keep in mind that near the city center everything looks nearly the same (4 story, grey stone row houses) so be sure to have a decent idea where you're going or take your phone with you for guidance. I failed to do that and ran an extra couple miles searching for my hotel the first time. But running up there is great. Weather is shit (meaning: perfect for running), and the seaside has a nice dual level boardwalk (run near the sand or up beside the road).

Don't remember much about the airport area since I spent my time in town. Not sure taking your bike is the best idea, logistically. You could probably make do with a stationary at the gym. It's a old city with few, and narrow, streets to get out. Though once you're out of town, traffic dies down and the countryside is gorgeous. Maybe ride the whiskey trail (Benromach is my favorite) or go for a swim with Nessie - she's been active this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a local, feel free to PM me for more info. For running near the airport, you can easily get onto an old railway line which has been converted to a long distance walking/cycling trail, see for example https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/...e-udny-station.shtml . If you end up in the city, or on the Southern end, there is the Deeside way, which - while flat - is a lovely run. It starts at Duthie Park, and you can follow it all the way into the Highlands.

For cycling, the North East is a great area, rolling hills and not much traffic off the main roads. There are several clubs you can go along with, including Deeside Thistle and Fleet Feet Triathletes (the latter also do turbo training sessions once a week I believe).

Others have mentioned the University of Aberdeen sports village pool, which is indeed excellent; it's usually 50m on Mondays and Wednesdays, and 25m on other days. There's also a lovely outdoor swimming venue - Knockburn Loch, where you can also rent a wetsuit.

Let me know if you need more info...
Quote Reply
Re: Going to be in Aberdeen UK for a week, need sbr guidance while there [Khilgendorf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! My base case plan right now is to bring my bike and my feedback sports omnium and do most riding in the hotel room. Then on Friday when I have more time get out for a long ride in the countryside.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to be in Aberdeen UK for a week, need sbr guidance while there [jhudsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks!

Someone else had told me about running on Deeside, so I've made reservations at the Park Inn not too far from there. Also looks like that might be a good place to start a ride out into the country? I found the Aberdeen Wheelers facebook page and they have several routes posted (looks like they change routes every week). I'm just looking for one route where I can get a 4-5 hour ride in on Friday midday. I'll plan on riding the trainer in the hotel room other than that.

My only concern is it looks quite hilly! My bike is setup for the flatlands of the Texas coast (1x - 54t). I can put a front derailleur on it if necessary, but that's just one more thing I'll have to do when trying to get ready for this last minute trip.

Any of these routes look good to you?

https://www.strava.com/routes/15104427

https://www.strava.com/routes/13917635

https://www.strava.com/routes/14718843

https://www.strava.com/routes/13553544
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm most familiar with the area the last route you posted covers, and can recommend it; I'm less familiar with the ones that head North. I'd say that anything that climbs around 10m/km is as flat as you're likely to find around Aberdeen, though cycling along North or South Deeside road would be flatter than that (I see many folks on these routes, but North Deeside road gets a lot of car traffic during the day, and I personally wouldn't recommend it once you're out of Aberdeen). To get out of Aberdeen, you can follow the A93 (North Deeside Road), there's an on-road cycle lane (i.e., painted lines) most of the way until Peterculter. The Deeside way is an excellent commuting route (or running route), but given the number of dog walkers and horse riders, I can't recommend it for a steady training effort (and if you do decide to go on it, you should get a bike bell or expect lots of dirty looks).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Unexpected work trip. Going to be there for a week, 4 weeks out from IMMD. So need to get in lots of training while there.

Looks like our office is by the airport.

Hotel in that area where I can go for a run straight from the hotel? Running routes?
Pool nearby?
Bike rental? Routes?

Thanks

Ditch the bike training for a week, or maybe find a gym with a watt spin/spin bike for a couple of maintenance session.. Your race will survive and it's ridiculous to take a bike on a work trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Going to be in Aberdeen UK for a week, need sbr guidance while there [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are probably right, but I'm kinda ridiculous to be honest. And I've trained to hard for this race to have any regrets. Plus the idea of riding my bike in Scotland sounds pretty awesome, even if only for a day.
Quote Reply