Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tubeless tire maintainence Question
Quote | Reply

I am new to using tubeless tires so still learning how to maintain them. I am dealing with a hole in the tire that is not sealing properly. I don’t think the hole is too big. Probably the size of a tack hole. Tire can’t hold 100psi without springing a leak. Seals itself and becomes rideable around 40 psi. Next, I tried a plug. The plug was holding air but then I added sealant to the tire and pumped it back up….sprung a leak again. I am thinking of adding a tube to it and calling it a day. Any other steps I can take to get this to work? I am a little disappointed as I though self sealing tire was a great idea.

Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tire maintainence Question [ctbrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Others will probably disagree with me....... but no one I know that dabbled with tubeless on road wheels stuck with them. All went back to clinchers/tubes. So that is my recommendation, save the headache and bail now. GP4000SII w/latex tube and yer golden.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been tubeless problem free on Corsaspeed TLR for almost two years now. It’s great when it works.

The question: what sealant?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First, the sure-fire way is to just patch the hole from the inside of the tire. You do this just like patching a tube. A bit of a hassle since you have to clean the area of sealant, etc, to get good patch adhesion. Be sure to dig out any sharp object embedded in the tire if still there.

I very rarely have to do this, though, and only for large cuts.

You might try another plug first. And be sure when adding sealant and pumping it up, that you rotate the tire so that plug is down, and all the sealant is pooled right around the plug, ready to do its thing.

Remember if using Genuine Innovations-type bacon plugs, to double it up over as you insert. I prefer Dynaplug.

@SBRCanuck: Suck it. #tubeless4life.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 27, 18 7:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctbrian wrote:

I am new to using tubeless tires so still learning how to maintain them. I am dealing with a hole in the tire that is not sealing properly. I don’t think the hole is too big. Probably the size of a tack hole. Tire can’t hold 100psi without springing a leak. Seals itself and becomes rideable around 40 psi. Next, I tried a plug. The plug was holding air but then I added sealant to the tire and pumped it back up….sprung a leak again. I am thinking of adding a tube to it and calling it a day. Any other steps I can take to get this to work? I am a little disappointed as I though self sealing tire was a great idea.

Patch the hole. The simplest way is with a dab of super glue.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Aug 27, 18 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tire maintainence Question [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
I’ve been tubeless problem free on Corsaspeed TLR for almost two years now. It’s great when it works.

Used stans[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tire maintainence Question [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
First, the sure-fire way is to just patch the hole from the inside of the tire. You do this just like patching a tube. A bit of a hassle since you have to clean the area of sealant, etc, to get good patch adhesion. Be sure to dig out any sharp object embedded in the tire if still there.

You might try another plug first. And be sure when adding sealant and pumping it up, that you rotate the tire so that plug is down, and all the sealant is pooled right around the plug, ready to do its thing.

Remember if using Genuine Innovations-type bacon plugs, to double it up over as you insert. I prefer Dynaplug.

I did use the bacon type. Can you please clarify what you mean about double up?
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tire maintainence Question [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Others will probably disagree with me....... but no one I know that dabbled with tubeless on road wheels stuck with them. All went back to clinchers/tubes. So that is my recommendation, save the headache and bail now. GP4000SII w/latex tube and yer golden.

pretty much this.. although I've gone back to tubeless with my (mostly road) gravel build.
Clincher tires gotta be Turbo Cottons though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctbrian wrote:
trail wrote:

I did use the bacon type. Can you please clarify what you mean about double up?

Per the little picture in the lower right, you insert it so that the middle of a slice of bacon is plunged through the tire. So you get double the amount of bacon in the hole vs. inserting just one end first.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctbrian wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

Used stans[/reply]

I mostly agree with everything trail said. I have been on road tubeless since 2012 or so and have tried many different rim and tire combos. The traditional Stan's sealant just doesn't work that great for road tubeless. It doesn't have enough 'particles' in it to seal holes with way more psi and less volume pushing through the puncture. Their newer 'race' formulation seems to be a much better choice. Orange Seal (standard version) and Bontrager TLR are pretty good road choices too.
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tire maintainence Question [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So i removed the tire and patched it up. I can't seem to get it to fill with air. I guess maybe it is not perfectly seated on the rim. Is it possible to fill this with a floor pump? Seems like I need a blast of compressed air....which i don't have
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't have air compressor then tubeless is not for you. But try wrapping a rope around the outside of the tire and tightened it to get it to seal up a bit..
Quote Reply
Re: Tubeless tire maintainence Question [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Patch the hole. The simplest way is with a dab of super glue.[/quote]
Just glue? Or glue the patch on with the glue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ctbrian wrote:
So i removed the tire and patched it up. I can't seem to get it to fill with air. I guess maybe it is not perfectly seated on the rim. Is it possible to fill this with a floor pump? Seems like I need a blast of compressed air....which i don't have
Easy fix head to the gas station. You will need to remove your valve core. Then use a presta to schreider adaptor and use the gas station air to set the bead.
Quote Reply