Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IronSoul Update (final edition): Penticton BC Sunday August 26
Quote | Reply
Here is our latest (and likely last) update for the IronSoul. The whole thing with the planning & the weather has really been a learning experience for me. I've gained a ton more respect for race directors and volunteers.

IronSoul Update – Saturday August 25 – 9 AM

• The big question in everyone's minds, of course is, “will there be an event on Sunday?” As of right now the answer is “maybe.” As I noted in a previous update we will run the full event if the pollution numbers are under 120. We will run a modified event (details below) if the numbers are between 121 and 149. We will cancel the event if numbers are above 150. That decision will be made at 6 o'clock this evening.

• Speaking of this evening. We are have an athlete and volunteer get-together in Penticton, starting at 5:30 this evening. It will be at a place that used to be called Anthony's. It is now called the Pirate's Cove. It is located on the corner of Yorkton Avenue & Skaha Lake Road. Please try to be there. We will explain the route more, answer any questions, and get to know each other.

• Yesterday, Elise, Pat and I took a tour of the FULL bike course. We took a lot of pictures and you can see them here https://www.facebook.com/fitspeek/ . Thanks to Tony & Elise for their wise advice. The bike course will no longer have the Oliver Ranch Road section because of the cattle guard. That leaves two other things if we do “go long.” The first concern, as usual is the traffic in Oliver, we need to be super aware of all the farm vehicles as well as the tourists they can be rather oblivious to us cyclists. My second concern is the BAD pavement on the Yellow Lake climb. It has become very crumbly in places. You'll need to focus on safety while you climb.

• Now, about the modified course. We are very excited about it as it captures many of the highlights of the epic course, here is is!

(Swim Stuff)

• Swim from the peach to the Sicamous and return to peach.

• Wetsuit strippers will take your wetsuit off. You will put your swim stuff in a bag and head off on your bike.

(Bike course)

• You will turn LEFT from the peach onto Lakeshore Drive West, you will go past the Lakeside Resort & The Japanese Gardens. Turn LEFT on Front Street. (only on this for about 50 metres)

• After crossing a small creek, you will enter a traffic circle, exit it and go RIGHT (south) on Ellis Street.

• Take Ellis for about 1 KM until it ends at the high school. Turn LEFT onto Eckhardt Avenue East.

• Follow Eckhardt for about 500 M then turn RIGHT on Government Street.

• Follow Government for about 1.5 KM then turn RIGHT on Dawson Avenue.

• Follow Dawson for about 500 M then turn LEFT onto SOUTH Main Street.

• From here on in, things will be very familiar for you!

• South Main Street BECOMES East Side Road, follow this all the way to McClean Creek Road turn LEFT.

• Follow McClean Creek Road, take it into OK Falls as it becomes 10th Avenue.

• Turn LEFT onto highway 97.

• Ask me about the bike turn-around point.

• After bike turn-around head NORTH on highway 97. Take it all the way back to Penticton.

• DO NOT TAKE IT BACK TO THE PEACH

• Continue going as 97 becomes Skaha Lake Drive, you will pass Sudbury Beach, keep going.

• Turn RIGHT onto South Beach Drive. Once you enter the park, T2 will be on your left.

• Give your biking stuff to volunteers. Pick up your run stuff.

(Run Course Stuff)

• Exit T2, run LEFT along Skaha Lake beach all the way to East Side Road.

• Turn RIGHT (south) onto East Side.

• Your first aid station will be on the left side of the road, about 4 k down the road at a place we call “Turtle Rock.”

• Continue running along East Side road and turn LEFT on McClean Creek Road.

• Follow McClean Creek Road for about 1 K until you reach the turn-around/aid station.

• After that you just retrace your steps back to the finish line.

(Finish Line Stuff)

• We will have someone drive you and your stuff back to your vehicle or room.

• We will be having a post-event social at a place and time to be decided soon.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: IronSoul Update (final edition): Penticton BC Sunday August 26 [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck, hopefully the smoke clears enough. Keep us posted with photos if possible, please. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: IronSoul Update (final edition): Penticton BC Sunday August 26 [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your interest. We drove the iconic IMC course yesterday, just in case we CAN do the whole event. We even did the out and back. Pictures are here

https://www.facebook.com/fitspeek/

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: IronSoul Update (final edition): Penticton BC Sunday August 26 [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did it happen?

ive been thinking about it all day
Quote Reply
Re: IronSoul Update (final edition): Penticton BC Sunday August 26 [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It did. 3.8/172/30. 2 participants details soon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that would have been a fun day doing it with a couple of other people. My running is in 10 minute intervals right now. No way to go 42.
Last edited by: rhayden: Aug 27, 18 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: IronSoul Update (final edition): Penticton BC Sunday August 26 [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the Channel Parkway Path was under construction, we did 30 K, not 42. This morning my legs are telling me there is a BIG difference between 42 and 30.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
Because the Channel Parkway Path was under construction, we did 30 K, not 42. This morning my legs are telling me there is a BIG difference between 42 and 30.

I bet. Its the last 10 Km that kill you.Anyway, it is still about 28 K further than I could do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was thinking about this today. Any race report? numbers? How did it go?

I regret not being able to do it (injury)
Quote Reply
Re: IronSoul Update (final edition): Penticton BC Sunday August 26 [triracerboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Writing up a race report. Should be good.

Quote Reply