Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HED Jet 6+ spoke tension
Quote | Reply
Anyone know what the recommended spoke tension is on a Jet6+ 18 spoke front wheel? Or have one they can measure?

I'm replacing a broken spoke and want to even out the tensions as much as possible.

Using Sapim CX-Ray bladed steel spokes which are 0.9x2.2mm (as are the original I believe).

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ spoke tension [marting] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spoke tension can be determined by sound.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will get a repair set directly from HED. .. they use their own Sapim CX for their wheels and not the standard Sapim CX .. just true the front wheel and check the similarity of sound of the spokes .. that works fine .. (did the spoke brake at the head ore the thread?)

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ spoke tension [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Spoke tension can be determined by sound.
Indeed it can. But I still need to know what it should sound like.

sausskross wrote:
You will get a repair set directly from HED. .. they use their own Sapim CX for their wheels and not the standard Sapim CX .. just true the front wheel and check the similarity of sound of the spokes .. that works fine .. (did the spoke brake at the head or the thread?)
I have a repair set from HED, so that's not an issue. The original spoke broke at the head/hub end.

I spoke to the UK importer of HED wheels, and their advice was to relax the tension on *all* spokes, fit the new spoke, and then bring them all up to tension together - they believe it results in a more robust wheel than simply replacing & re-tensioning one spoke.

Unfortunately, I forgot to ask them what the correct tension should be :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a tension meter just measure some spokes on 90° to the broken one (& compare to the 180° for interest) .. you can do it like they recommend .. in many cases is it just a waste of time but for that a deep experience in truing a high tension wheel .. have fun at work!

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Indeed it can. But I still need to know what it should sound like. "

It should sound like the other spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marting wrote:
I spoke to the UK importer of HED wheels, and their advice was to relax the tension on *all* spokes, fit the new spoke, and then bring them all up to tension together - they believe it results in a more robust wheel than simply replacing & re-tensioning one spoke.

90kg should be good.

IME if the wheel had even tension before hand, then just replacing the spoke and 3 rounds of stress relieving on the new spoke, is all it needs. You'll end up with all the spokes at the same tension, stress relieved, and the wheel true.

How many miles on the wheel?
Quote Reply
Re: HED Jet 6+ spoke tension [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some answers, for those who might find it useful in the future:

HED US emailed me back with "110 kg force".

HED UK distributor (who also service wheels) said "CX Ray spoke on a Park tool tension meter correctly built should all read 14"

That's not quite the same answer ('14' on the Park Tool tension meter is 126 kg force), but it's close.

When rebuilding the wheel, I brought all the spoke tensions up to '14' before checking how true the wheel was, and it was pretty good without any extra tweaking. Which is good news because it means my rim is still in good shape.
Quote Reply