Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Madison flooding [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
having been down there all weekend and more rain in the forecast, unless they get some special permits from the city and DNR I don't see it. Boat traffic is down to a minimum if non existent. Bacteria in the water is not really a concern it is more the safety issue around the shore for the swim.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just down there for a run over my lunchbreak, and the water is incredibly high against Monona Terrance. There are sandbags blocking the swim exit ramp area, so you can't tell how high the water would come if it was just left to rise naturally. But all of Law Park feels like it is under water., so it would be a mess for spectators as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [bpitt20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not looking promising. Water levels in all of the lakes in the chain are above max and in Monona (lake where swim is held) and Waubesa and Kegonsa over 100 year levels. You can't drop the level of Monona if the water doesn't have anywhere to go. List of relevant links was previously posted but the two to watch most closely are probably:

https://www.publichealthmdc.com/environmental-health/beaches-lakes-pools/beach-conditions/

https://lwrd.countyofdane.com/Lake-Levels

not racing this year, but I sure wouldn't want to swim in Monona.
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [thetriranger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hate to rain on your parade (or Ironman) but just saw on the news where the remnants of Gordon will be on top of Wisconsin on Sunday. Yikes!
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually weather forecast shows 10% chance of rain Sunday

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Facespace, they plan on keeping the swim, but the bike is changing:
"Attention Athletes and Volunteers –
Due to the severe rain and flooding that the greater Madison area and Dane County have experienced over the past several weeks, it has become necessary to make some modifications to the first and last three miles of the bike course due to the flooding on the trails. While the swim course and run course remain unchanged, removal of debris and monitoring the water quality remain top priority. IRONMAN Officials are continuing to work with the local authorities to closely monitor the current situation. We remain committed to creating a safe and enjoyable experience for the event scheduled to take place on September 9.
For additional information, please continue to check the IRONMAN Wisconsin event website and Facebook page for updates
Sincerely,
The IRONMAN Wisconsin team"

https://www.facebook.com/...sts/1816762385060055

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I wonder if they have had the water tested yet? The board of health stops testing the beaches for the season on Labor Day.

There is an Aquathon scheduled tomorrow night on Lake Mendota. I’m wondering if they will test the water tomorrow and if it will be ruled safe. That will be a huge indication of water safety in Lake Monona as well.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the paths that go under john nolen have been submerged for at least 2 weeks now and that was before the lake level is where it is as I type this.

maybe you wont have a no passing zone this year :)
Last edited by: jeffp: Sep 5, 18 6:31
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Madison and Dane County Health Department has been posting on FB that they will be testing the water throughout this week as well as immediately following the race. So at least we know that testing is on-going.
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See a crowdsourced map of road closures here.

My guess for the flooded bikepath underpasses under John Nolen about a mile out of transition is either:
A) Keep us on the bikepath past the Sheraton and under the Beltline like the 70.3 course goes, to Nob Hill Rd to Badger Rd to Rimrock.
or
B) John Nolen itself to Rimrock at the Sheraton. Unless they don't want to kibosh a major artery. Driving in Madison is already pretty f**cked...

Besides the flooded bikepath underpasses under John Nolen, it looks like the Sugar River has affected Sugar River Rd and CTH G SW of Verona. I haven't been on that part of the course since these floods started so can't confirm. The last time I specifically heard of trouble out there was Aug 22 as a result of the first giant >10" storm we had on the 20th.

sources:
https://www.madisonbikes.org/...ap_please_contribute
https://www.channel3000.com/news/list-roads-still-closed-from-monday-nights-record-breaking-flooding/784734241
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [mc5] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode the course the weekend after the big flood and the roads were fine, just a few patches over damaged areas that were no big deal. The shoulders were washed out pretty bad leaving steep drop-offs on the edge of the pavement but the road itself was mostly undamaged. That was two weeks ago and there was one significant rain storm since then so things may have changed but it didn't seem like the course was in any real danger once you get outside of Madison.
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [brassnipples] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Course updated:

https://www.facebook.com/IRONMANWisconsin/photos/a.342270255842616/1817653584970935/?type=3&theater

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, does not look like any major change. Even to chop or add some miles off would not affect it that much, just please let there be a swim!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brassnipples wrote:
I rode the course the weekend after the big flood and the roads were fine, just a few patches over damaged areas that were no big deal. The shoulders were washed out pretty bad leaving steep drop-offs on the edge of the pavement but the road itself was mostly undamaged. That was two weeks ago and there was one significant rain storm since then so things may have changed but it didn't seem like the course was in any real danger once you get outside of Madison.

Rode it last weekend and there wasn't any change. It's still in decent shape. The only concerns on the bike was that stretch from Verona to Mt. Horeb. Roads in good shape, but if you drop a wheel off the shoulder your not coming back. The washouts along that stretch are bad, but stay on the road and you'll stay upright. Garfoot had a lot of debris on it as the night before storms had knocked some trees down and although they had been cleared, there were a lot of small limbs on the road as you come down through that valley. Other than that...sand is a concern on some of the sharper turns, but I would expect the RD to have it swept prior to??? In the end, the bike course is in good shape (as good as it usually is anyway).
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [thetriranger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bad news is we got a lot of rain in the area yesterday but the good news is that's the last of it in the forecast until race day. The other good news is that before this rain the lake was hovering around 80 degrees but the rains knocked that down into the low 70's and with forecasted temps being nice and cool the lake should continue to cool down. See if you can spot the day of the flood on this graph

They extended the barriers along the lake in front of the Monona Terrace yesterday to contain the water that was starting to creep around them but hopefully the water level will start on a downward trend. The grassy areas around the terrace are saturated with water and mud, if you're going to be hanging out around there prepare to get muddy.

Mosquitoes have also taken advantage of all the rain and are in full bloom in some places, spectators should be armed with plenty of bug spray. If you're worried that your run could turn into a shuffle a little bug spray wipe might be handy to have stuffed in a pocket, you probably won't need it but getting caught in a cloud of mosquitos could significantly enhance a miserable situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brassnipples wrote:
Mosquitoes have also taken advantage of all the rain and are in full bloom in some places, spectators should be armed with plenty of bug spray. If you're worried that your run could turn into a shuffle a little bug spray wipe might be handy to have stuffed in a pocket, you probably won't need it but getting caught in a cloud of mosquitos could significantly enhance a miserable situation.

This is really no joke. Walked my dog last night and usually the bugs do not bother me unless I stop to tie a shoe or something. Came home with at least a kill streak of 17 mosquitoes in a row and 10 new bites.

Spectators planning on sitting in one spot should be prepared with a significant amount of deet on hand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brassnipples wrote:
The bad news is we got a lot of rain in the area yesterday but the good news is that's the last of it in the forecast until race day. The other good news is that before this rain the lake was hovering around 80 degrees but the rains knocked that down into the low 70's and with forecasted temps being nice and cool the lake should continue to cool down. See if you can spot the day of the flood on this graph

They extended the barriers along the lake in front of the Monona Terrace yesterday to contain the water that was starting to creep around them but hopefully the water level will start on a downward trend. The grassy areas around the terrace are saturated with water and mud, if you're going to be hanging out around there prepare to get muddy.

Great tips! Thanks!

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [MrPinochio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you've never experienced midwestern mosquitos don't assume we're blowing it out of proportion, they are no joke. With three days of dry weather for fresh batches to hatch they may be a sight to behold in some places. At least they don't seem to be universally blanketing the city (yet), there is a bearable number of them in my yard but you can see clouds of them at the end of my block.

Be extra nice to the volunteers, they may be woozy from blood loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim is on suckas! Bring your snake repellent!
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rode the Verona loop this morning and everything is fine. A bit of debris on the road that will be cleaned up before race day. Let the fun begin in all phases on race day.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Last edited by: ttx_tri: Sep 6, 18 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [ttx_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update. I'm riding it tomorrow or Saturday (or both). It sounds like all is on for a good day. I think this year the spectators will truly have the worst part of the flooding and mud.
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Swim is on suckas! Bring your snake repellent!

i.e. peeing in my wetsuit?

But seriously, anyone know if we can do practice swims these next two days? I saw some small boats on the lake on my drive in today.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Madison flooding [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, saw lots of people in the water this morning.
Quote Reply

Prev Next