Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best Bang for Buck Cockpit Setup?
Quote | Reply
Greetings all -

Currently ride a 2014 BMC TM02 that fits me like a glove; really like the bike. It came stock with Profile Design Ozero aluminum base bar and Profile Design T2+ aluminum extensions. I'm going to convert the bike to Di2 and while doing so upgrade the front end. I already have a Omega X front brake. I'm currently a 13:00:17 Ironman, but with a better front end I'm 100% sure I can KQ, cause, you know, my mind is convinced it is so and that's what matters right?

At any rate, any opinions as to which is the best bang for buck front end set up that will do a good job of managing Di2 cables, etc.? Alpha X? Alpha One? Areia Ultimate?

Bonus points for shaving 3.5 hours off my IM time.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for Buck Cockpit Setup? [teetopkram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teetopkram wrote:

Bonus points for shaving 3.5 hours off my IM time.

Thanks!

Mind over matter. Well, that and....according to the add on the front page....you need a ventum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ultimate Aeria I am offering in the classified ads of course. It will shave 4 hours of IM and only $750 ish off your wallet.

Seriously, the Tririg offerings or the Ultimate Aeria clean up the front end about equally in my experience. The one potential drawback to the Tririg products is the integrated stem which can limit you. Aeria is also much more adjustable.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 23, 18 13:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alpha X is the no-brainer.

The Alpha X is repriced to $750 and includes the ergo cups and tilt kit. That is a slam dunk value for a to-end cockpit. I did a full Di2, totally hidden install with mine, including the Junction A hidden in the extension, so only 1 visible wire and no other components in the wind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for a TriRig. A real budget option might be the Selcof setup that PlanetX sells. Probably under 300$.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for Buck Cockpit Setup? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those bars are exactly what you could get from aliexpress for $200 to be fair. Yeah its a bit of a hassle ordering but in the US its probably about the same.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for Buck Cockpit Setup? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Alpha X is the no-brainer.

I feel like this is said every other day on Slowtwitch, but I don't think they have been in stock in several months.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for Buck Cockpit Setup? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Current status is “ships in 2-3 weeks,” which isn’t horrible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Current status is “ships in 2-3 weeks,” which isn’t horrible.

It has said 3-4 weeks since at least early June. I'm not sure the move to 2-3 weeks is going to change much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
It has said 3-4 weeks since at least early June. I'm not sure the move to 2-3 weeks is going to change much.
If they are selling them as fast as they are getting them in, then the status would not change. It does not necessarily mean unavailable or discontinued. At the current price, they ought to be pretty popular. You could email and ask... Nick is very responsive. Then update this thread with what you learned so people have full information.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
dangle wrote:

If they are selling them as fast as they are getting them in, then the status would not change. It does not necessarily mean unavailable or discontinued. At the current price, they ought to be pretty popular. You could email and ask... Nick is very responsive. Then update this thread with what you learned so people have full information.

Yeah, already did all that in June. The person replying was indeed very responsive. Their explanation was that 3-4 was their best estimate. I followed up a month later and they were not in stock. I got creative with a drill and some other parts to make a hidden install. My season ends after this weekend, so I'm guessing they will be in stock before I would need (want) them again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
dangle wrote:

So, let me first distinguish between Alpha X and Alpha One.

Alpha One - It's true that Alpha One has had a status of "Ships in 4-6 Weeks" for some time. It's also true that we have been selling bars as fast (or faster) than we can make them, so while they have never had "In Stock" status, they are indeed reaching customer hands. For some customers who ordered in June or July, we blew the 4-6 week estimate (our fault! we are trying really hard to get these out as fast as possible). Customers who order today should be well the published 4-6 week estimate. The larger picture is that we are increasing production, and before the end of the year we should have a good supply in stock for quick shipment.

Alpha X (the subject of this thread) - we usually have these in stock, but we ran out of parts about two weeks ago. We are just waiting on some hardware to come in, and then we will have a healthy supply of them. The current "Ships in 2-3 Weeks" estimate is conservative, and we should be able to send them in sooner than that.

Neither bar is being discontinued, they are here for the foreseeable future.

Any other questions, feel free to shoot an email to support@tririg.com, always happy to help.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for Buck Cockpit Setup? [TriRig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for jumping in. I had emailed support a few times over the summer asking about availability (and basebar/pursuit reach) for the Alpha X. Never even considered the Alpha One. I had been checking the website, signed up for the newsletter and skimmed FB/Twitter for any mention of the Alpha X being back in stock from early/mid June until a week or two ago. Nothing.

I really enjoy the TriRig stuff that I do have, but I'm not comfortable sending somebody ~$800 for something without actual stock. I got burned in a similar fashion (not by TriRig) a couple years ago for something that was months behind schedule not terribly long ago. Unless they were in stock and shipping over the summer without it reflected online, it seems not locking up the cash was the right call. I appreciate how helpful you (or an associate) was with the support emails this summer. Here's to riding the Alpha X in 2019 since I think my season is done. Also, thanks for your contributions to ST as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the trouble! I can understand your frustration on the bars. We would love to have them in stock at all times, but recently demand has outstripped our supply and we have been playing catch up. Alpha X was indeed in stock (and it was shown in the store that way) just a few weeks ago. But we put the delay notice up, once we ran out of stock. We have bars now, just waiting on packaging. The Alpha X should be back in stock within the next two weeks.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Keep up the great work!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for Buck Cockpit Setup? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought bang for the buck would have a low dollar amount for grams of drag saved over what he already has.

I don't see how a $1000 aero bar would be most bang for the buck.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for Buck Cockpit Setup? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I thought bang for the buck would have a low dollar amount for grams of drag saved over what he already has.

I don't see how a $1000 aero bar would be most bang for the buck.

I see your point. I was going to come in and suggest a $100 PRO Missile Alloy basebar, a $60 Zipp Vuka Alumina EVO extensions and a TriRig stem but I'm assuming the OP is looking for carbon bars at this point.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a followup, Alpha X is back in stock, and should be for the foreseeable future! Alpha One is still selling as fast as we can make them, but we will hope to get ahead of the game soon.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nick any updates on the universal front brake cover? Can you confirm what front ends it will be compatible with and when production units will be available.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Bang for Buck Cockpit Setup? [forshy0516] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When we have updates, you'll see them on the site and facebook :-)
No ETA yet.

--
TriRig.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
teetopkram wrote:
At any rate, any opinions as to which is the best bang for buck front end set up that will do a good job of managing Di2 cables, etc.? Alpha X? Alpha One? Areia Ultimate?

If you are really interested in the bang for low bucks....

Syntace Stratos base bar for $55.
https://www.ebay.com/...-390mm-/192642180948

USE Boost Bar chassis for ~$95 shipped.
https://www.sigmasports.com/...ost-Bar-Chassis/IPVG

Both very light, aero, good adjustability.
Quote Reply