Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Travel with Nosecone Shiv
Quote | Reply
I am considering buying a 2013 Specialized Shiv Nosecone. I have read both that it will fit in a normal bike box with the bars removed and turned to the side, and also the you have to remove the nosecone which requires new brake cable to be installed each time. Can anyone with a nosecone shiv please respond with their experiences. It is a size XL. I have a TICO case now. Would I need a different case?
Quote Reply
Re: Travel with Nosecone Shiv [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one and it was a nightmare. If you're going to be traveling, steer clear of the nosecone model. My LBS didn't even want to work on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trick with the Shiv is to make a jig for setting the brake width. Use a block of wood that wedges firmly between the brake pads when they are the appropriate width. Then when you are putting the bike together just put the block between the pads (with the nosecone not on the bike yet) Squeeze the pads against the block, pull the new cable tight, and then tighten the set screw. You can run brake levers with an external adjuster, but I have training and race wheels that are the same width, so once the width is set I am good to go.

The other trick requires two sets of hands. With the nosecone and basebar not on the bike. Have one person hold the brake with your wheel between the brake tracks. Squeeze the pads against the brake track and then back off about 5 mm. Then tighten the set screw.

Really the nosecone shiv isn't that hard to travel with if you come up with a system for setting the cable tension/brake width. It is definitely easier with two sets of hands, but Once I figured out a system it was no worse than any other superbike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I traveled a lot with mine. I was able to just remove the aero bars, turn them sideways and put everything in the bike box. The trick was to have enough slack in the front brake cable to allow you to do that. When you initially set up the bike, make sure there is a bit of slack in the cable.
Quote Reply
Re: Travel with Nosecone Shiv [thebarbarian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What type of bike box did you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m still using a 10 year old Serfas hard plastic box, the one that has no handles but is indestructible.
Quote Reply