Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drinking
Quote | Reply
Anyone ever get injured, legitimately, then lose all motivation and focus and desire and everything we need to be fast and podium and just drink? A lot. Every day? Which by extension will and has crushed any and all expectations of upcoming races? 1 is 2 weeks out and my final 70.3 is 3 weeks out? All the while listening to what I feel is terrific music, but music that your wife says makes her want to slit her wrists because it's not fun peppy pop bull shit that she prefers.

And secretly and deep down you wonder if it is the injury or something much deeper and darker.

Just wondering. And sauced. Again. On a Tuesday.

#FML
#thestruggleisreal

Aside: I love ST.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking [yrebetta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alcohol is a dangerous thing. It changes us. It can be addictive. An element of those who enjoy endurance sports have addictive personalities. Take a break from the sport if you need one, but don’t fall into the drink trap.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P.s. what is the music? Let me pass judgment on that too!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Trying to get my motivation back after breaking my shoulder 4 months ago.

Little steps, my friend... remember: we didn't get to where we were overnight; it'll take a while to get back.
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Growlers.
Last edited by: yrebetta: Aug 21, 18 20:02
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:

Little steps, my friend... remember: we didn't get to where we were overnight; it'll take a while to get back.
- Jeff

I broke my shoulder and after a few beer filled nights I cut the booze. I figured I would fall into a viscous trap and I know the alcohol doesn't help the bone recovery in any way. 2 years later I'm still not drinking and my shoulder and surrounding tissue are finally back to 100%. I've done a shit ton of racing during that 2 year period as well!
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:

- Jeff

100% I have a torn labrum and separate AC joint. It sucks...but its workable. There are other things to have an addictive personality for. Working out is one of the good options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both sides of my family has had alcohol struggles... I don't know why I never really got into it. Instead, it's triathlon. hah.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking [T3_Beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T3_Beer wrote:
jkstevens wrote:

- Jeff

I broke my shoulder and after a few beer filled nights I cut the booze. I figured I would fall into a viscous trap and I know the alcohol doesn't help the bone recovery in any way. 2 years later I'm still not drinking and my shoulder and surrounding tissue are finally back to 100%. I've done a shit ton of racing during that 2 year period as well!

What is this epidemic of shoulder breaks?
I broke mine about 3 months ago, and still have fairly constant pain and only about 50% mobility. I'm told it will take about 12 months to recover, that recovery will never be 100%, and if it is not good enough further surgery might be needed (including removing the crap-ton of metal I now have in there). It really sucks. Yes, I'm drinking more, but not dangerously so. More important was weening myself off the painkillers that I might otherwise be tempted to take every day.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking [Bone Idol] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bone Idol wrote:
T3_Beer wrote:
jkstevens wrote:

- Jeff

What is this epidemic of shoulder breaks?
I broke mine about 3 months ago, and still have fairly constant pain and only about 50% mobility. I'm told it will take about 12 months to recover, that recovery will never be 100%, and if it is not good enough further surgery might be needed (including removing the crap-ton of metal I now have in there). It really sucks. Yes, I'm drinking more, but not dangerously so. More important was weening myself off the painkillers that I might otherwise be tempted to take every day.
That was me, as well.

I broke mine the day before a large, physically intensive project opened. We were also short-handed at the time, so there simply wasn't an option of 'light duty,' nevermind taking time off.

Granted, the most I would take was prescription strength Aleve, but after a week of that just to get through the day and sleep, I decided that if I was going to kill my liver, I'd go with the devil that I knew. So no meds at all during the day, but 6-10 beers at night.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Now I'm 10 lbs up and super squishy, but trying every day: getting my run frequency back up, got a ride in yesterday, and can do multiple sets of 5 push-ups (that was big to me).

It will come back!
- Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Injury may be the primary contributor,.....perhaps, theres some other contributing factor.
Theres help for everyone out there, only if your honest and let people know everything thats happening.

Stay strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alcohol? I remember when I was in high school.

If you aren't doing 50 ironmans in 50 days with only crossfit as training - you aren't serious about f*cking your body up.
Quote Reply
Re: Drinking [sambadhillon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right now I find the wife to be an enabler. I'm not too bad off, it's just that I feel I'm throwing away probably 20 watts in my bike training or a kg or two by drinking too much.

I have pretty much 2 a night, every night.

I bet if I stopped that on days that I trained or rode hard, I'd do better.

I say the wife is an enabler because she thinks I'm too skinny. I weighed about 180ish for years at 5' 9". Now I'm around 150 and have had to buy pants/shirts and stuff to not look like I'm wearing bags and sacks.

So, when it's Friday night, I used to drink about 5 beers. Now when I'm done at 2, "what's wrong?" Lol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are plenty of threads on ST addressing drinking & addiction*, with replies in one direction ["just STOP! You're killing yourself"] and the other ["Relax. There's nothing wrong with a beer or two"]

My go to response is this I think it was Warren Zevon [or maybe Alice Cooper?] that said: "An alcoholic knows exactly how much there is to drink in the house and precisely how long it will last"

* yes, even addiction to training; "Endorphin Junkies"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yrebetta wrote:
The Growlers.

Heard of them, but never listened. Got them playing now; not bad ... kinda Killer-ish, with a Social D twang

Julian Casablancas [The Strokes] produced, huh? That makes sense

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Careful with drinking in a situation like that where it's replacing something that was very important in your life.

Honestly, I've barely been drinking for most of the past year. It eventually got to just leaving me feeling sick without much buzz, so it wasn't fun and then stopping just made sense.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try this: The Easy Way to Control Alcohol by Allen Carr (Author), Richard Mitchley (Narrator)

Best to you and your family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. It is a slippery slope I battle most days. Knock it off, throw out the booze and get your shit together. Do something - ANYTHING - that you can do that is positive and fake it til you make it.

Go for a walk, do a class, PT, get a massage, whatever, but stop the booze. It can really screw up a life, believe me.
Quote Reply