Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

2017 wahoo kickr vs garmin vector 2 power comparison
Quote | Reply
specifically, i was trying to investigate 1) the power difference between the kickr and vectors, 2) the effect of kickr variables (erg mode, readings before vs after spindown, and warm vs cool kickr) and 3) the effect of drivetrain variables (lube, x-chain). i have 2 sets of vectors but i only used one set for the test. fwiw, both sets read the exact same as tested vs my friend's quarq but i cant remember the diff between the quarq and vectors.

initial takeaways
kickr needs to warm up - less accurate when starting (trial 1)
little difference with lube or x-chain, though the trial immediately after lube was ~1% closer to vectors before going back for sub subsequent trials
erg brings kickr closer to vectors
kickr watts expected lower due to drivetrain losses but differences were variable between 6.9% (first trial on cool kickr before warmed up) and 2.9% when the kickr was in erg mode
kickr likely less accurate than vectors due to power smoothing and measurement method
Last edited by: johnj121591: Aug 21, 18 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 wahoo kickr vs garmin vector 2 power comparison [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great work. 5% loss is still a solid difference of watts somewhere in the mix. If that's what the data says, then that's what the data says.

Other things to query/test/rabbit hole with:

- Have you verified the Vector 2 unit readings with a static weight test?
- Performing an Advanced spindown of the Kickr17 (Gen 3) after 10 minutes (preferably 20-30mins solid use)
- Turing off ERG Mode Power Smoothing (I assume you already have, but just in case)

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 wahoo kickr vs garmin vector 2 power comparison [johnj121591] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great data. I used to own a Kickr and I own Garmin Vectors. I never had a good match between the two. I spent so many hours obsessing over power difference, but I could never get things to match.

I ended up buying a Tacx Neo, and now power matches perfectly with my Vectors. ( I think the power loss across the drivetrain fact trotted out by some reviewers (cough cough Dcrainmaker) is way overstated. You should expect 2-5 Watts at most)

Anyway I think there are two classes of people, those that can live with inaccurate power and those that can't. I am the latter. Since I bought the Neo, I have wasted zero hours obsessing over power accuracy.
Quote Reply
Re: 2017 wahoo kickr vs garmin vector 2 power comparison [roadguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
roadguy wrote:
Anyway I think there are two classes of people, those that can live with inaccurate power and those that can't. I am the latter. Since I bought the Neo, I have wasted zero hours obsessing over power accuracy.

I'm the latter, with a Neo... trying to get power meters to agree within spec or understand why they don't has resulted in may wasted hours. (days, weeks..)

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Makes me wish I had some Vector pedals to test my Kickr with. I’ve been using my P2max for power but having the pedals would be a nice confirmation.
Quote Reply