Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

PowerTap and my LBS
Quote | Reply
I have been happily using my PowerTap G3 hub for many years. I needed to change the battery but was unable to remove the battery cap due to damage to my cap removal tool. No problem though I figured I would contact my local bike shop and order a new one. I was surprised to find out that their distributor no longer carrier PowerTap their recommendation was to purchase directly through the PowerTap website. I decided to see if there was another local retailer first using the find a dealer function on the PT website but I did not show any dealers in Canada. I followed my LBS recommendation to make the purchase through the PT website and was horrified to find the have a flat rate international shipping charge of $45.00 for an $8 piece of plastic. A customer service representative informed me that they do not set the shipping rates and stated he would take my concern forward.

I admit that this is a rant but I am also wondering if PowerTap is changing their business model to an online only retail model. I love my PowerTap but if my local bike shop isn't going to be able to provide me with technical support I will be reluctant to use there product going forward. Is anyone working within the bicycle industry aware of this change or am I perhaps misinterpreting this situation.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap and my LBS [apex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could you get a better shipping rate from an Ebay seller?

I see two that say they ship world wide but don't list shipping charges.

I have friends that live in Windsor, If one was shipped to me I could give it to them to ship it to you.
Last edited by: jaretj: Aug 20, 18 15:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They lowered their dealer margins so much that it's no longer worth it for an LBS to carry or support the brand. Basically going consumer direct.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap and my LBS [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks jaretj for the kind offer but I am sure I can find someone in my club that would lend theirs from time to time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I attempted to place an order myself and my LBS was surprised that he couldn't find anything from the distributors he usually had gone to.

Eventually had to attempt to buy direct, but then it kept failing to correctly charge a credit card, tried 3 different ones.

Eventually had to order from a random online site that happened to have it in stock.

Love the product but it's really getting to be a hastle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke the cap on my G3 a year or so ago and had the same issue with shipping to California directly from the company. 10x the cost of the part and expected 2-week wait. I live 10 miles from Wheelbuilder, so I drove over there and they gave me one for free. Lmk if you want me to ride over on your behalf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any chance you know someone with a 3D printer?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2674029
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've started noticing companies use shipping charges as a way to, what I suspect is, pad their margins a bit. I have a basic no-volume shipping account via FedEx, and often my rates are quite a bit lower than what I'm charged by the companies themselves. Now this might be the wrong assumption, but I expect any of these companies to do quite a bit in shipping, and hopefully can negotiate better rates, or at the very least, not get worse rates than retail rates.

As for powertap, it is likely they're moving to a consumer direct model, which probably makes more sense for them at this point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I can't fix the wonky pricing, I can tell you a quick pro tip:

You can remove the cap without the tool if you're in a pinch. Simply use a pair of channel locks or adjustable wrench. Once adjusted to the exact size of the cap's hex 'base', you can rotate it off pretty easily (just go slowly to not scratch it up). Once that's removed, then just use a flat-blade screwdriver to carefully pop-up the main portion of the cap.

(I'm the master of this method, as I never seem to have that darn tool when I need it.)

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap and my LBS [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can also use an inner tube and wrap that round it and twist tit off by hand. I have done that when I can't find the tool
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap and my LBS [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
I've started noticing companies use shipping charges as a way to, what I suspect is, pad their margins a bit. I have a basic no-volume shipping account via FedEx, and often my rates are quite a bit lower than what I'm charged by the companies themselves. Now this might be the wrong assumption, but I expect any of these companies to do quite a bit in shipping, and hopefully can negotiate better rates, or at the very least, not get worse rates than retail rates.

As for powertap, it is likely they're moving to a consumer direct model, which probably makes more sense for them at this point.

Or maybe it is to cover the cost of materials (shipping box, packing tape, padding) and pay the person who has to setup the shipment along with package it...the "handling" portion of it. Just a thought. Yes larger volume companies get better discounted rates but still have to pay someone in shipping/receiving to get that thing out the door to FedEx or whatever carrier they are using.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap and my LBS [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Any chance you know someone with a 3D printer?
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2674029

I came here to say the same thing. 3d printers are the solution to expensive shipping for cheap pieces of plastic. That would cost me less than a dollar to make. Surely there are people in Canada with 3d printers.
Last edited by: beercity: Aug 21, 18 8:14
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap and my LBS [beercity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I Just should a SRM PC7 on eBay, I shipped it from NY City to the UK for $16.28.
Just sayin
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap and my LBS [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree those are all expenses, However those should be factored into the cost of the goods. Those are all costs of doing business, particularly if your business consists of only selling items by shipping them (“handling” them)

If I go to Blimpies to get a $5 sandwich, I don’t want to pay a $1 sandwich making fee. Just make the sandwich $6, to buy that sandwich, it has to be made.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you try google? Second hit on a search for "Powertap g3 Removal tool" gave me this. $21 shipped

https://www.amazon.com/PowerTap-G3-Hub-Cap-Wrench/dp/B01LZUJKWY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was able to use a latex swim cap to get a good enough grip on one to twist it off by hand. That was in M-T a few years ago when I'd forgotten the tool and my wife's bike (of course) showed low battery on her first ride there.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: PowerTap and my LBS [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link JoeO but unfortunately that seller will not ship to Canada. I would like to give a big thanks to everyone on this forum who have offered up their assistance, this is such an amazing group of people.

I think I am going to explore the 3D printing option mainly because that sounds incredibly cool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I missed the Canada thing.

Fact is though, those little wrenches are (or were) so ubiquitous, there must be some local cyclist in your area with an extra one, no? I think I have 2 or 3 of them. Is there some kind of local forum/facebook page you could make a request on?
Quote Reply