Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How about this for an audacious endurance challenge?
Quote | Reply
As long as I am all fired up about long-distance badass accomplishments (see Rob Krar, IronCowboy, Ashley whatshername current thread topics) ...

So in 2016 Pete Kostelnick broke a 37-yr old record for a supported transcon run - doing the 3067 miles in 42 days + change. Important to note - he was totally transparent both before and during the event - wearing multiple trackers, uploading all data, encouraging people to witness, and/or join him, etc. No question Pete is the real deal.

So what's ol' Pete up to now?

Running self-supported 5300-ish miles from Kenai, Alaska to Key West Florida. Pushing a baby jogger with his gear. Solo.

Twenty days in, already over 1100 miles.

There's a hard man.

Quote Reply
Re: How about this for an audacious endurance challenge? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have my attention
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for an audacious endurance challenge? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a pretty incredible feat!

I always thought that a really awesome endurance challenge would be to do an Ironman on every continent - the tough one would be Antarctica!

There is a seven continents club for marathon running... I actually did the Antarctica marathon in 2013 (which is what gave me this crazy idea in the first place). The swim would be tough, though you could get creative about it. If you normally do the IM swim in an hour, could you do it in 100m segments, and warm up for a minute after each, and still break 2:20? Could you pour warm water in your wetsuit in between segments (or at least drink a lot of warm water and pee a lot)? You could always use the A.H.-style method of getting an endless pool inside a heated building, but that might be getting a little too creative.

Not sure what type of bike would work best...cyclocross or mountain bike? Or what type of speed it is possible to maintain over snow and ice. If you used a TT/road bike, you'd basically have to do laps up and down an airplane runway. Or A.H. method of indoor trainer.

Run - this part has actually been done before! But you might be able to be the first person to finish an IM at midnight and still have light outside...

Thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
Ginger

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for an audacious endurance challenge? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His strava profile is pretty insane: https://www.strava.com/athletes/16102568.
Last edited by: narcomoeba: Aug 20, 18 18:31
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for an audacious endurance challenge? [gingersnaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gingersnaps wrote:
Thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers,
Ginger

My thoughts are... this has nothing to do about running across North American and is mainly about yourself.

Back on topic...

Running from Alaska to Key West. Wow! I wish I had the time to just drive it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t understand it and I don’t want to do it, but I respect the hell out of it!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: How about this for an audacious endurance challenge? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wasn't trying to take away from what he is doing, and I'm sorry if my post offended you. I was more responding to the thread title about audacious endurance challenges that are still out there to do.

He's superhuman! Hope he makes it!

Cheers,
Ginger

https://www.instagram.com/gingerhowellracing/
If you find yourself thinking "What if I can't", instead think "What if I can!"
Quote Reply