Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tri spoke vs deep
Quote | Reply
So HED still makes the tri spoke so I need some schooling from all of you that are in the know. What if any advantages are there to a tri spoke over a 6 or 9 deep wheel? Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tri spoke vs deep [dwgrenle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode tri spokes

hed 3 tri spoke rear and front 2005-2008 .
Then Zipp 1080 rear / 808 front 2008-2015
then flo disc and 90 mm front 2015-2016
then Chinese knock offs 60 mm 2016
then Chinese knock offs 88 mm 2017
plus I have road bontrager, zipp disc, 404, bora campagnolo

THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. they are all the same. they are all the same. watts vs speed they are all the same. You just try harder with your race wheels on.

you are the engine in the car and the tires/wheels/ bike and tubes don't matter.

If you cannot produce power you will always go x speed.

So buy what looks the coolest unless someone is paying you to ride it.

You will always go faster it you feel fast ( look good) and have what you want on the bike.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should have pointed out a few things.

tri spokes are stronger. near bent under load.

no spokes to deal with.

make this whoomp whoomp noise when you go fast, which makes you want to go faster.

Zipps flexed a lot rubbed the brakes.

Knock offs are great they are stronger then some other wheels that are 5 x the price. both in build and spoke tension.

I didn't like my flos, they where clinchers and very heavy but had stopping power compared to the carbon rims.

I had to change wheels mostly due to, sponsors, new bikes will a bigger cassette 9, 10 to 11 speed. And know I may go back to the tri spoke for cool factor.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From someone who's been to the tunnel and regularly field tests: tri spokes are faster in low yaw conditions. This is mostly on account of "watts to rotate" which isn't captured by most wind tunnel data. You're not talking about a lot here, 1-2 watts, but it is something. Going from something like a Jet 6+ front Jet 9+ rear to an H3+ front and a Disc rear is worth ~5-6 watts by my estimates. There's a reason why you see tri spoke wheels so frequently in the TdF TTs.
Quote Reply