Re: Tips for IMWI 2018 [swim_corey_run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy snake repellent for the swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim_corey_run wrote:
Whatever ya got. Lay it out there...

Go easier on the first loop of the bike than you think is necessary (especially if you've never ridden the course before); the hills can really take a lot out of you.

Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
swim_corey_run wrote:
Whatever ya got. Lay it out there...

Go easier on the first loop of the bike than you think is necessary (especially if you've never ridden the course before); the hills can really take a lot out of you.

^^^This. Also, go to the Great Dane.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race morning, drop your special needs bags off before going into transition. I saw a lot of people at the swim start with special needs bags, and the drop off is a long way from the swim start. Go Special Needs > Transition > Swim start.

On the bike, pace the hills appropriately. If you are going above FTP on the early hills (which is very easy to do) you are gonna pay for that later. You will know you are pacing the hills right if everyone around you is passing you on the hills and you are taking them back on the downhills and flats. If you are the one passing everyone on the hills, you are doing it wrong.

On the run, after a slight climb to the capitol, the first two miles or so are slightly downhill. This makes it really easy to get ahead of your pace early on. I would try to take it easy those early miles, even though it is downhill. It will pay dividends later. After that, there are two steep hills on Observatory Drive. I believe even 3 hour runners should be walking those hills. My advice is to walk them on the first lap, even if you feel you have the gas to run them.
Quote Reply