Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rob Krar - Leadville 2018 - 14th on bike , 1st on feet
Quote | Reply
Last weekend, Rob Krar finished 14th overall at Leadville 100 MTB.

This weekend, finished 1st overall at Leadville 100 Run.

That's a solid 7 days.
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Krar - Leadville 2018 - 14th on bike , 1st on feet [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a very fast run for that course, and I think he was 1 hour 45 ahead of second place. With the amount of elevation change that is a very fast time. Many people probably cant grasp how fast his pacing was for the course. His pacing on the run would be faster than the average Ironman run.
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Krar - Leadville 2018 - 14th on bike , 1st on feet [dirtbag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, less than 10 min off the course record.

He also won the run 4 years ago in a hair over 16 hrs, and took 15th in the MTB a year or two later. This is the first time he has done them both in one week.

15,000 ft climbing. Plus, you know, it starts at 10,000 feet and goes up from there.

I don't know if this will work but I'm trying to include an elevation profile showing the Leadville run course on the same scale as Boston Marathon (bottom left). Note "heartbreak hill" that Boston is famous for.

https://i.imgur.com/pX2jsa3.jpg

Most really good ultra folks cannot come near that time on a relatively flat course, let alone 15,000 ft climbing. Plus, you know, it starts at 10,000 feet and goes up from there.

Freaking Bad. Ass.
(I'll stop swinging form his nutsack now)
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Krar - Leadville 2018 - 14th on bike , 1st on feet [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That graph puts the difficulty of Leadville into perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mind is f*cking blown
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do enjoy it every time that elevation profile is posted. You can talk about milers having climbs and descents and being at altitude, however so many road runners and triathletes often have little appreciation.

There's an updated profile that also includes Hardrock, which is held at higher altitude yet again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I finished Leadville in 2014 in just under the cut off. 29:46. This was the same year I ran a 3:00 flat marathon. Definitely the best shape I've ever been in my life. I took 2 training trips out there and still almost died. I can't believe how fast some of these people run.
I also did Rim2Rim2Rim this year in 14 hours. That's more than twice the FKT. Unfathomable.
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Krar - Leadville 2018 - 14th on bike , 1st on feet [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
I do enjoy it every time that elevation profile is posted. You can talk about milers having climbs and descents and being at altitude, however so many road runners and triathletes often have little appreciation.

There's an updated profile that also includes Hardrock, which is held at higher altitude yet again.

Here is that one. Not only is HR at higher max elev, and higher avg elevation than leadville - look how many more serious climbs there are. That partially explains why Leadville has a 30-hr cutoff, and HardRock is 48 hrs. HR course record is over 22.5 hrs compared to sub 16hrs for leadville.

Still, the point of the original post wasn't to compare courses, or just to say Rob ran a great LVL 100 - I meant to emphasize he is a badass at BOTH run and mtb, which is more up the slowtwitch alley
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks, that is a nice chart of the elevations.. didn't realize WS was so much downhill.

very impressive bike/run combo from Rob ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Krar - Leadville 2018 - 14th on bike , 1st on feet [Jhanley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jhanley wrote:
I finished Leadville in 2014 in just under the cut off. 29:46. This was the same year I ran a 3:00 flat marathon. Definitely the best shape I've ever been in my life. I took 2 training trips out there and still almost died. I can't believe how fast some of these people run.
I also did Rim2Rim2Rim this year in 14 hours. That's more than twice the FKT. Unfathomable.

I paced Leadville last year, my runner is sub-3 marathon at Denver altitude, was Cat 1 cyclist, swims 4 mornings a week.. came in sub-28, I was shocked to see how he struggled at Leadville. These trail ultras are a whole different challenge..
Quote Reply
Re: Rob Krar - Leadville 2018 - 14th on bike , 1st on feet [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doug in co wrote:
Jhanley wrote:

I paced Leadville last year, my runner is sub-3 marathon at Denver altitude, was Cat 1 cyclist, swims 4 mornings a week.. came in sub-28, I was shocked to see how he struggled at Leadville. These trail ultras are a whole different challenge..

On the flip side, I know a dude who did Leadville as his first 100, and comfortably earned the sub-25hr big buckle. He was no superstar athlete by any definition. His marathon PR of about 3:20-some was set 20 years prior to Leadville. His Ironman PR was in the 13hr neighborhood, and that was 10 years before Leadville. I don't type this to brag, but to say that you don't have to be a fasty-mcspeedy to do well at the ultra game. I think you do have to be smart, and you have to be prepared to manage the unexpected difficulties that you will inevitably encounter.

But again, I started this thread about Rob.

Seeing all the discussion about IronCowboy and Ashley Horner, makes me wonder about Rob. This is a dude who can definitely suffer, he definitely has far more endurance background than all but a handful of people on the planet for 2 of the events. He does have a tri background. He might be a guy who could physically handle the 50/50 IM load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
doug in co wrote:
Jhanley wrote:

On the flip side, I know a dude who did Leadville as his first 100, and comfortably earned the sub-25hr big buckle. He was no superstar athlete by any definition. His marathon PR of about 3:20-some was set 20 years prior to Leadville. His Ironman PR was in the 13hr neighborhood, and that was 10 years before Leadville. I don't type this to brag, but to say that you don't have to be a fasty-mcspeedy to do well at the ultra game. I think you do have to be smart, and you have to be prepared to manage the unexpected difficulties that you will inevitably encounter.

But again, I started this thread about Rob.

Seeing all the discussion about IronCowboy and Ashley Horner, makes me wonder about Rob. This is a dude who can definitely suffer, he definitely has far more endurance background than all but a handful of people on the planet for 2 of the events. He does have a tri background. He might be a guy who could physically handle the 50/50 IM load.

I did this, Leadville was my first 100 and I did it and got the big buckle off of IM training weighted toward some additional running. It really hurt though and I don't think I could say it was comfortable. Rob K is a really amazing athlete. I'll say that I think ultras are a bit different in that it's just a total sufferfest for a long period of time, which gels well with Ironmans in my experience.
Quote Reply