Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
With the Trump administration rolling back emissions standards, the U.S. auto manufacturers are wasting no time dumping their car lineups. Trucks and SUVs galore. Ford will have no cars except the Mustang for sale.

And the Focus Active.It's a little bit SUV-y with a bit of crossover treatment - let's face it , it's a car.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 20, 18 7:12
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
zed707 wrote:
It seems short-sighted as the emission standards could swing back in the other direction. Then what do they do?

Ask the federal government for another $6 billion loan?

They plan on being retired by then.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
spudone wrote:
You keep looping back to this year. That is not what I was talking about. I know what I meant in my original post. I clarified it for you. You continue stuck on this year. Either you are dense or trolling (shocking).

Im disputing your claim that CAFE standards are being rolled back.

Because they aren’t being rolled back.

If they were it would be really easy for you to demonstrate that by posting the numbers.

You aren’t doing that because the numbers don’t show any roll back.
Old: 54.5mpg fleet avg by 2025.

New: "On April 2, 2018, the Administrator signed the Mid-term Evaluation Final Determination which finds that the model year 2022-2025 greenhouse gas standards are not appropriate in light of the record before EPA and, therefore, should be revised."

This EPA hasn't yet announced what they are revised to, but it doesn't take much IQ to see what this administration will do.

https://www.epa.gov/...greenhouse-gas#final
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
spudone wrote:
With the Trump administration rolling back emissions standards, the U.S. auto manufacturers are wasting no time dumping their car lineups. Trucks and SUVs galore. Ford will have no cars except the Mustang for sale.

And the Focus Active.It's a little bit SUV-y with a bit of crossover treatment - let's face it , it's a car.

Yeah, but people don't want cars. Make it look a little bit SUV-ish and people will buy it.

People are idiots.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Old: 54.5mpg fleet avg by 2025.

That’s a fantasy standard that has never existed.

Quote:
New: "On April 2, 2018, the Administrator signed the Mid-term Evaluation Final Determination which finds that the model year 2022-2025 greenhouse gas standards are not appropriate in light of the record before EPA and, therefore, should be revised."

This EPA hasn't yet announced what they are revised to, but it doesn't take much IQ to see what this administration will do.

When the new real actual standard is announced we can compare the current standard to the new one.

The new standard won’t be less stringent than the current standard.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Agree with a lot of what has been said about current Subies. If you want decent mileage you get absolutely no power. If you want to be capable of passing another vehicle you get shit mileage. Doesn't make much sense to go with a Subie anymore.

As far as Ford dumping cars, their small SUVs are pretty efficient. I rented a Ford Escape and put 1,500 miles on it. Average overall was 28 or so. It was pretty dependent on headwind, could go from 24-34 depending on wind direction, so bit less efficient due to height, but overall was pretty good for a small SUV. My BMW sedan doesn't do that good unless freeway cruising. Everyone thinks they want an SUV so why choose a car that might get 2-3mpg better than the Escape when they can have the SUV for just slightly less efficiency?

They aren't going to compete with the Camry or Accord for sedan market anyway, so might as well dump it. Chrysler/Dodge did the same and dumped the 200 and the Dart. Now the Charger is the only sedan from Dodge, and the 300 is the only sedan from Chrysler. Looks like it is up to Chevy and their Malibu and Impala to compete with the Japanese. And I don't know too many that would choose either of those over a Japanese or German sedan.
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:

A lot of truth but there are more Subarus than you can shake a stick at where I live. Mine has never let me down but I need to replace it. I wish Subaru would make a Crosstrek with more power.

This.. if my crosstrek had the engine of my wife's forester XT... match made in heaven . I will hand the crosstrek down to my kid when they are old enough to drive.. so suby has a few years to get their act together so I can buy another.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Aug 20, 18 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We got a Frontier last year. Had many recommendations for a Ranger, but they didn't make it anymore. The F-150 doesn't fit in our garage so we couldn't do that even if we got that much truck. We love it so far but are only at 4,400 miles in 11 months so hard to know about durability.
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [Dan Os Fan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan Os Fan wrote:
We got a Frontier last year. Had many recommendations for a Ranger, but they didn't make it anymore. The F-150 doesn't fit in our garage so we couldn't do that even if we got that much truck. We love it so far but are only at 4,400 miles in 11 months so hard to know about durability.

It was new vehicle time in The GMAN household so I was at a Ford dealership over the weekend. The Ranger is coming back next year. I think the guy said in the spring.

I picked up one of the new Expeditions.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

It will be interesting to see how much the new Ford Ranger cannibalizes sales of the F-150, but right now big-3 execs are just throwing a party for being able to sell more high margin gas guzzlers.

One of the funniest statements I have read in the lavender room in a long time.

So many false statements its amazing. Duffy called you out on one. So Ford announced on April 25th they are cancelling all cars https://www.autoblog.com/...ustang-focus-active/

Trump takes steps Aug 2nd to maintain the CAFE levels at present lues http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/...ost-over-efficiency/

And yet Fords actions some 4 months ahead of Trumps were in response to Trumps actions? Hmmm

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
I expect by 2025, electric car technology will have advanced enough to render these standards largely irrelevant. Electric cars will be faster, cheaper and more reliable. There will still be specific use scenarios for ICE cars, but those will probably be hybrids anyways.

I don't think anyone would argue that in 8 years, electric cars will be faster, cheaper and more reliable than they are now. The same would be true for ICE vehicles as well, although the improvement curve will not be as steep for ICE cars. Technology very rarely goes backwards.

However, I am not sure how that gets you to CAFE standards will be irrelevant in 7 years. Electric car sales in 2018 are at best1.5% of total vehicle sales. Even if they could make astounding gains (say grow sales 50% per year, every year for next 7 years), they would only represent 20% of new vehicle sales and still only 5-10% of the operating fleet.

There have been huge government subsidies to get to this 1.5%, the subsidies cannot continue if sales increase. When the subsidies go away there will be a large impact on sales because without the subsidies, EVs are not competitive at all. You are also forgetting the infrastructure problem, sure there is lots of "free" charging available now (basically as a promotion). When charging eventually goes to fee based (as it must), there will be another large barrier to further growth.

Simply put, short major government intervention (mandating widespread EV use), electric cars will have to be objectively cheaper, higher-performance and or more desirable than ICE cars to gain significant market share. I don't see this happening in the next 10 years, .

When an electric vehicle can complete the Daytona 500 without replacing the batteries is when I will say ICE makers need to get worried. If I was a major ICE manufacturer I would lobby to let Tesla race in the Indy 500, because they would either DNF and/or have to make excuses about why they couldn't compete. Either scenario would be funny to see Musk's juvenile reactions.
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EV will likely continue their improvement curve with European auto manufacturers moreso than Tesla. The driving requirements over there generally have less range anxiety because of their geography. And now their governments are breathing down their neck since Dieselgate.
Quote Reply
Re: Top selling trucks, SUV/crossovers, and cars first half of 2018 [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
I expect by 2025, electric car technology will have advanced enough to render these standards largely irrelevant. Electric cars will be faster, cheaper and more reliable. There will still be specific use scenarios for ICE cars, but those will probably be hybrids anyways.

I don't think anyone would argue that in 8 years, electric cars will be faster, cheaper and more reliable than they are now. The same would be true for ICE vehicles as well, although the improvement curve will not be as steep for ICE cars. Technology very rarely goes backwards.

However, I am not sure how that gets you to CAFE standards will be irrelevant in 7 years. Electric car sales in 2018 are at best1.5% of total vehicle sales. Even if they could make astounding gains (say grow sales 50% per year, every year for next 7 years), they would only represent 20% of new vehicle sales and still only 5-10% of the operating fleet.

There have been huge government subsidies to get to this 1.5%, the subsidies cannot continue if sales increase. When the subsidies go away there will be a large impact on sales because without the subsidies, EVs are not competitive at all. You are also forgetting the infrastructure problem, sure there is lots of "free" charging available now (basically as a promotion). When charging eventually goes to fee based (as it must), there will be another large barrier to further growth.

Simply put, short major government intervention (mandating widespread EV use), electric cars will have to be objectively cheaper, higher-performance and or more desirable than ICE cars to gain significant market share. I don't see this happening in the next 10 years, .

When an electric vehicle can complete the Daytona 500 without replacing the batteries is when I will say ICE makers need to get worried. If I was a major ICE manufacturer I would lobby to let Tesla race in the Indy 500, because they would either DNF and/or have to make excuses about why they couldn't compete. Either scenario would be funny to see Musk's juvenile reactions.

Getting to 20% of sales would be huge. That would basically mean all industry growth would be in electric sales. Negative growth is a death sentence to the ICE.

The Daytona 500 is pretty much an endurance event. It will be the last place electric vehicles will win. But lap times everywhere are starting to fall like dominoes. Outside of endurance, the electric car has an increasing advantages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
EV will likely continue their improvement curve with European auto manufacturers moreso than Tesla. The driving requirements over there generally have less range anxiety because of their geography. And now their governments are breathing down their neck since Dieselgate.

Those plucky Brits have already nailed the market on electric vehicles.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

Wow just keep digging.

EV development is already and will continue to be driven by China. They have made rules over there to favor them and have indicated they are going to move to all EV quickly. Charging station problems no problem the Govt just puts them in. China had more than double the US in vehicle sales last year Japan was third Germany was 4th and had 1/6th the number of sales as China. https://en.wikipedia.org/...r_vehicle_production

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply

Prev Next