Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [1526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1526 wrote:

OK, i'll grant you that but i would not say it is "non-stop" (as your thread title says) since he did stop for 3 hrs. Of course, since he's wearing a wetsuit, he was violating the OW rules from the start. AFAIK, Sarah Thomas's swim of the 80-mi length of Lake Powell (Utah/Arizona in western U.S.) in 56 hr and 5 min in Oct 2016, sans wetsuit and with no stops other than treading water during feedings, still owns the WR for longest continuous, non-stop, non-wetsuit swim.

Sarah went on to swim 104 miles in 67 hours, last year. Amazing what is possible![/quote]
And so WHY did you not start an ST thread on this last year??? Very irresponsible behavior on your part...:):)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out post #2;

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng%20record#p6387971

I did read something lately that chlorine poisoning leads to memory loss..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Check out post #2;
https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ng%20record#p6387971
I did read something lately that chlorine poisoning leads to memory loss..(-;

OK, well this is indeed embarrassing, since i posted 6 or 7 times in that thread but, for some reason, the 104-mi swim did come up in my brain, nut rather the 80 mi one. It's tough to remember all the various records. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
1526 wrote:

OK, i'll grant you that but i would not say it is "non-stop" (as your thread title says) since he did stop for 3 hrs. Of course, since he's wearing a wetsuit, he was violating the OW rules from the start. AFAIK, Sarah Thomas's swim of the 80-mi length of Lake Powell (Utah/Arizona in western U.S.) in 56 hr and 5 min in Oct 2016, sans wetsuit and with no stops other than treading water during feedings, still owns the WR for longest continuous, non-stop, non-wetsuit swim.

Sarah went on to swim 104 miles in 67 hours, last year. Amazing what is possible!

And so WHY did you not start an ST thread on this last year??? Very irresponsible behavior on your part...:):)[/quote]
Dude, it was exhausting just watching her on track.rs for 67 hours, let alone keeping up with ST at the same time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Livio Livius wrote:
Depends how you define continuous. For me if those 3 hours are part of your race time it is continuous.

This is not a WR attempt. The primary goal for him is to raise as much money as possible in the battle against cancer. To get enough attention he choose the 11 Cities Tour, which already pointed out by Livio is a legendary and epic skating event, espacially for the frysian part of the Netherlands.
From that point of view he ‘s very succesfull.
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [1526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1526 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
1526 wrote:

Sarah went on to swim 104 miles in 67 hours, last year. Amazing what is possible!

And so WHY did you not start an ST thread on this last year??? Very irresponsible behavior on your part...:):)

Dude, it was exhausting just watching her on track.rs for 67 hours, let alone keeping up with ST at the same time![/quote]
Hmmm, well, i can see how tracking her for 67 hrs would be pretty tiring, so i guess we can give you a pass. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [IronTED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IronTED wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
Livio Livius wrote:
Depends how you define continuous. For me if those 3 hours are part of your race time it is continuous.

OK, i'll grant you that but i would not say it is "non-stop" (as your thread title says) since he did stop for 3 hrs. Of course, since he's wearing a wetsuit, he was violating the OW rules from the start. AFAIK, Sarah Thomas's 104.6 mile swim in 64 hr and 16 min in Aug 2017, sans wetsuit and with no stops other than treading water during feedings, is still the WR for longest continuous, non-stop, non-wetsuit swim.

This is not a WR attempt. The primary goal for him is to raise as much money as possible in the battle against cancer. To get enough attention he choose the 11 Cities Tour, which already pointed out by Livio is a legendary and epic skating event, espacially for the frysian part of the Netherlands.
From that point of view he ‘s very successful.

OK, it just seems to me that, if you're going to kill yourself trying to swim 200 km, or about 125 miles which would be a WR if done "unassisted", why not go for the WR while you're at it??? But perhaps the water temps are just too cold do it sans wetsuit???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I don’t agree. By not wearing a wetsuit he would have far less chance to finish this endeavour because of hypothermia. Besides, I don’t think he is interested in a WR.
Watertemperatures are 20-21 C, so to OW regulations probably not wetsuit legal I guess.

But I do understand your point though :-)
Last edited by: IronTED: Aug 19, 18 23:58
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [IronTED] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even with 21 degrees he would not survive without a wetsuit, see hypothermia tables. And again he is not in for a WR but to raise money and awareness for cancer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maarten stopped his race around 13.00 Ams time after approx 163km / 55 hours. He is ill and according to his doctor salt level in his body is not good. He is brought into hospital.
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ill, but doesn't seem very serious. But he quit on advice from his doctors. Raised about 800,000 euro so far. I was following the live stream every now and then this weekend. The support along the course was amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maarten has also been to Kona and folks had a chance to race him to the coffee boat
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you feet look like when swimming for 55 hours?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is the thing about ultra swimming, it has two distinct categories. The way it worked historically is that when someone did something for the first time, however they did it was the standard and you could choose to beat that time with that standard, or even do it with more strictness. Over time it was getting very disjointed and there was no way to really say there was a world record, or worlds best, or even course record. People would use fins, do stage races, then speed suits, wetsuits, etc.

So ultra swimming adopted a set of guidelines so that swims could be compared. What this guy tried to do was in the old school style, doing something completely different for the first time, so that would have been the standard once he completed it as he laid out his guidelines. He unfortunately did not make it, so goes to show how hard/impossible it would have been using OW swim standards.

I think it is entirely ok for these types of swims, they are still enormously difficult, and do set new standards in their own way. But like Nyad's unorthodox crossing of the Cuban channel, it would have just been one of those feats of strength and stamina that would hold its own category all alone...

This is what is great about a guy like this, we know he is the best long distance swimmer in the world today, so when he attempts something unorthodox like this and fails, doesnt matter how he attempted it, we know it must have been dam hard. Wetsuits and all, we know we could not approach it, and no one else either...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IronTED wrote:
No, I don’t agree. By not wearing a wetsuit he would have far less chance to finish this endeavour because of hypothermia. Besides, I don’t think he is interested in a WR. Water temperatures are 20-21 C, so to OW regulations probably not wetsuit legal I guess. But I do understand your point though :-)

Well, i guess if you've already won an Oly gold and a WC, a WR does not mean that much. Further, as monty commented, if he had made the the whole 200 km, it would've been a "world's best" in the wetsuit category. In any case, he made through 163 K (about 101 mi) in 55 hrs which, wettie or no, is just phenomenal, not to mention raising 2,500,000 euros so far for anti-cancer efforts.

Last edited by: ericmulk: Aug 20, 18 11:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amount 2;5 mio euro, which is uncredible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Livio Livius wrote:
Amount 2;5 mio euro, which is uncredible.

OK, thanks, i updated my post above.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing effort... 100 miles is long in a car let alone on your arms !

These canals aren't that big and the segments are separate (why he needed a dolphin hoist) so probably no current right?

Can the body core temperature pill be applied for triathlon research? when Lance was training in hawaii for his first ironman he was rumoured to do some core temperature research
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

This is what is great about a guy like this, we know he is the best long distance swimmer in the world today, so when he attempts something unorthodox like this and fails, doesnt matter how he attempted it, we know it must have been dam hard. Wetsuits and all, we know we could not approach it, and no one else either...

I see what you did there.... chuckle chuckle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's at it again this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSw2Ka7bxuI

Looks like he will make it this time
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a pretty significant wind and due to the open terrain there is some current at the surface, but not a very big deal for him atleast. Also notice how on some headwind sections he swims closer to the black boat in front of him. Drove there to see him last year, and did so to yesterday. Great atmosphere to be in, in what is a pretty surreal event! Almost done now, estimates are 7PM CET.
https://twitter.com/.../1143116876102479874
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D9z0aIyXsAAG7bn.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: Maarten van der Weijden attempt to swim 200km non stop [Joeyyy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats pretty far!

Cant imagine how gutted he must've been to be stopped last year by water quality, glad it looks as good as completed now
Quote Reply

Prev Next