Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

When to defer a race....
Quote | Reply
I'm training for Ironman Florida in November and started my training plan back in March with my coach and the team. Cycling is my weakest of the three disciplines by far. I average about 15 miles an hour and my longest ride is 70 miles. Over the last few months, I have had major issues with PF and it has taken a huge hit to my race pace (from a 13:30 min mile to 16). I'm also losing weight finally, from 196 to 182 and I'm 5'3.

My question is do I continue to struggle through training and take a chance that I make the cut offs at Ironman or do I defer to get stronger and faster for next year? I do have a great coach that I could confide in with this and she has brought me so far as a triathlete. But I'm honestly putting off asking her because I'm more worried about letting her down.

Anyone been in this situation?
Quote Reply
Re: When to defer a race.... [Triteacher86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haven't been in this situation, but a few thoughts:

I think you should speak to your coach; she is in a better position than random internet strangers to assess your fitness and how the PF is affecting you. I don't think you should be worried about letting her down - the coaching process needs to have two way communication.

I would personally prioritize long term health/being injury free over one particular race, specially if a deferral was available.

Wishing you the best of luck, whatever you decide.
Quote Reply
Re: When to defer a race.... [Triteacher86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your coach is there to coach; let her do her job and help you make the best decision.

PF generally is calmed down with rest, which won't be done if you are ramping up for a November race.If you think that you can continue, try the search function for what others have done to help their PF. My best luck with foot problems has come through orthotics, both over-the-counter and custom. Sometimes, the simplest solutions are the best.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far and I wish you well, whatever you decide. The race will be there next year as well...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply