Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift Triathlon plan?
Quote | Reply
Last year I used Trainer Road to good effect. I have Zwift and thinking of going with that and using the FTP builder plan. Has anyone heard if Zwift will come out with triathlon plans? I really enjoyed the TR 1/2 Ironman bike plan with the long rides. Of course the FTP plan for Zwift doesn't have that but TR can be mentally taxing even when you provide your own entertainment (I never want to do that 3 hour indoor ride again if I can avoid it). I was even thinking of doing a meld of the plans (use the FTP plan and include one long ride per week). Thoughts?

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Triathlon plan? [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Last year I used Trainer Road to good effect. I have Zwift and thinking of going with that and using the FTP builder plan. Has anyone heard if Zwift will come out with triathlon plans? I really enjoyed the TR 1/2 Ironman bike plan with the long rides. Of course the FTP plan for Zwift doesn't have that but TR can be mentally taxing even when you provide your own entertainment (I never want to do that 3 hour indoor ride again if I can avoid it). I was even thinking of doing a meld of the plans (use the FTP plan and include one long ride per week). Thoughts?

If you have the set up for it, you could always run both programs at the same time. If you're on a smart trainer with a power meter, you could have TrainerRoad read the power from the trainer and control it, and let Zwift read power from the power meter. Erg mode for the workout in TrainerRoad, and free ride mode in Zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Triathlon plan? [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't thought of that ....I was thinking of a or b not a+b...thanks for that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I hadn't thought of that ....I was thinking of a or b not a+b...thanks for that.

If you'd like to figure out how to run both apps simultaneously, this article explains it really well :)

Cheers!

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Triathlon plan? [Bryce Lewis TR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, I think you forgot the link. I am assuming you need to run ANT+ in ERG mode and then have free ride mode in Zwift via Bluetooth...but looking forward to seeing the article

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
Hi, I think you forgot the link. I am assuming you need to run ANT+ in ERG mode and then have free ride mode in Zwift via Bluetooth...but looking forward to seeing the article

Ah silly me, here it is:
https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/run-zwift-trainerroad-simultaniously-1948

Get Faster with TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thanks for that!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:

As above, i also ran the dual TR and zwift setup last year, worked really well, dont even think i used bluetooth, just TR erg mode with control of my trainer based on my pwr meter. And in zwift i only keyed in that it should read my power. It does however cost quite some money, so i am also pondering about what to do this year. In my mind and from my experience with the workouts on both platforms (although some time ago), the quality and logic of TR workouts are far and beyond the Zwift ones.

What you could also do, is to take 1 month of TR, look through all their workouts and manually create them in e.g. Trainingspeks and then get them transferred to zwift :)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Triathlon plan? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a problem paying for TR. I won't cheat that way. I know that the programs take time to create and they should be paid for their time. Of course I could just Google triathlon bike plans but then I still have to create them in zwift. Maybe I will just use some of my coaches plans and call it a day on zwift.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are making your own training plans / files and use android, I have been using the ICW app (The PRO version of it is like $3 and lets you make unlimited training sessions and plans). You need an ANT+ usb stick and an OTG usb cable. I have a dedicated 'old' android phone that I have mounted on my trainer bike controlling a Kickr 1. The app also has a couple of dedicated training plans that can be purchased for I think a dollar.

I have no affiliation with with app - I was just looking for a way (other than Golden Cheetah running on a PC) to control my Kickr without a reoccurring subscription.

Site - link.
App in play store - link.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would you ever consider simply performing manual repeats using manual ERG mode?

The more complicated a generic training plan is, the more arbitrary it becomes and the more it violates the principle of individualization.

Most people who know what they are simply doing some combination of:
  • one long ride
  • 2 x 20
  • 4 x 4
  • [n] x 30/15 or [n] x 40/20

Just perform the intervals at the max power you can sustain without fading in the later intervals.

Start with a block emphasizing volume.

For the next block, add/replace a day with [n] x 40/20 to lift LT from above and make room for pushing LT from below.

For the next block, add a 2 x 20 (or replace one of the [n] x 40/20 if you were doing two days of them in previous block.

For the next block replace the [n] x 40/20 with 4 x 4.

For the next block replace 4 x 4 with 2 x 20 so you have two days of 2 x 20 per week now.

This is just strawman and for half IM you'll probably want to push duration at LT or SST, but whatever you get the idea. Just do what you did last year on TR but without all the arbitrary fluff. Just do the meat ; the repeats. Joe Friel will be proud of you.

Not sure anything will make three hour rides indoors fun but I am finding that fixed power ERG mode aerobic threshold workouts with frequent micro-breaks + watching movies is more enjoyable than Zwift which is boring when not racing anyway.

TizzleDK wrote:

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And one more thing Brian. Is there a way to switch the default training days in the plans from say the tri plan Tu, Thur, Fri, Sat to Mon, Wed, Thur, Friday for instance? That works better for my schedule and I wanted to see if I could shift the days be default so they would always match those days. Thanks!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So...I'm getting a Kickr as soon as my new ride comes in...but why doesn't Zwift offer the ability to have multiple users per account like Netflix? Sure, it wouldn't make them as much money but it may expand their overall market. Anyone know?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know its a lot of work, but i recreate all the workouts from TR in Zwift. I am a paying subscriber of both (and will continue to pay into both) and love the results of TR and their workouts, but love the interactivity and the gamification of Zwift but i dont much care for their workouts (in comparison to TR's).

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Last edited by: damon.lebeouf: Sep 8, 18 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Triathlon plan? [damon.lebeouf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why not just do one of the tt specific plans in zwift?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Triathlon plan? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want a triathlon specific plan so I don't overdo the bike workouts and then kill my running

Quote Reply