Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Braden Currie's Rising Stock [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple sources have Jesse at 6'1 174lbs, doesn't that seem a little bit over the normal triathlete build?

Jan 6'4 165lbs

Van Lierde 6'0 163 lbs

Kienle 5'11 161 lbs

Crowie 5'11 150 lbs

Pete Jacobs 5'10 154 lbs

Raelert 6'0 159 lbs

It seems like that makes Thomas somewhat of an outlier. Obviously he's 6'1 and incredibly fit and fast, but I think that build doesn't do well in Kona.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Braden Currie's Rising Stock [aerobean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great post aerobean. In Kona 2017 my two dark horses of a strong performance were Nick Kastelein and Braden Currie. I still think Nick has enormous potential, particularly being under the tutelage of Jan Frodeno, however, seeing his season 2018, I believe his Kona breakthrough is still a couple of years away.

That being said, Braden Currie is one of the most talented, gutsy and exciting triathletes in the planet. What he did in Cairns was masterclass and as someone else posted in this thread he was leading Kona and had an unfortunate flat and then a penalty. I expect to see him go all out and pushing all day long, will be super exciting to see him in Kona 2018.
Quote Reply
Re: Braden Currie's Rising Stock [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I appreciate it. I always try to post thought provoking conversations on here, not always successful in that endeavor.

Nick has shown moments of brilliance, but I'm not sure he's that top level kind of guy. If Nick went top ten I wouldn't be surprised at all. In regards to Currie though, it just seems like he has all the tools. As I mentioned previously, it just seems like Currie is a risk taker and sometimes those risks are what lead to a win in Kona. It's kind of like how Kienle and Macca would always train with powermeters, but on raceday they wouldn't use them. Kienle's win in 2014 came off that huge bike push and the belief that everyone thought his run wouldn't hold up due to the supposed injury. Currie seems like he could hang with that second pack of bikers and push it on the run and outlast everybody. Watching Currie's performance in Cairns was simply unbelievable, nobody would have put money on him outrunning the god that is Gomez. I have to believe that Currie is going to be in the mix all day and after Cairns I know that he has what it takes to be competing in the last few miles. I've said it at least 50 times on this forum, if you have never run in the 2:40's, then you won't win Kona. Currie has checked his boxes, now he needs to deliver that 2:40 in Kona.

Currie will swim with that main group, bike with the second tier of leaders (Not Kienle, Sanders, Wurf, Starky), and he'll be mowing people down on the run.

I have to believe Currie will be there in those final miles, but if Lionel runs in the low 2:40's, then everybody might be in trouble.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it hot and humid in Cairns like it will be in Kona?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spot on aerobean. I would also add that the x factor to Currie's brilliance is his multi sport, endurance adventure racing background.
That experience across such diverse and tough terrains has given him an awesome toughness that is just built for Kona and Long distance racing. To do what he did vs Gomez in Cairns is simply spectacular. Have a look at this video, really cool stuff in Currie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhe2sdlyplc

Quote Reply
Re: Braden Currie's Rising Stock [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, his youtube channel is awesome. The production level on his videos is talbot cox and sportspinner level, they are pretty great.

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply

Prev Next