Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sharp Objects on HBO
Quote | Reply
Single season series based off the book of the same name, starring Amy Adams.

Really well done. I read the book years ago. Written by Gillian Flynn, same author that wrote Gone Girl.

If you read the book, no real mystery here on what its about and where it ends up. TV adaptation seems to follow the book plot-line pretty well based on my recollection, which may be a bit fuzzy though on details.

I won't go into specifics for those who may watch and haven't read the book.

As usual, when TV writers decide they're better than the author and will start to write their own side-story plot lines, it bugs me. In this case it is the episode "Calhoun Day", which was not in the book.

Quote Reply
Re: Sharp Objects on HBO [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't read the book but I am watching the series and very much enjoying it. Amy Adams is amazing, she really pushed her character out of the usual "nice girl" roles she plays.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Re: Sharp Objects on HBO [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The imagery seems gratuitous to me. I haven’t given up on it, but it has been moved from watch at night to watch on the trainer...
Last edited by: ajthomas: Aug 30, 18 12:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Finished watching the series last night - holy shit, what an ending! Haven't read the book, but there was something about the Calhoun Day episode that didn't quite seem to fit - now I know why. Really well done - enjoyed it thoroughly. I might even get the Mrs. interested since she loves a good drama, and there's not a ton of blood or gratuitous cussing.

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sharp Objects on HBO [TiDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SO depressing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TiDriver wrote:
Finished watching the series last night - holy shit, what an ending! Haven't read the book, but there was something about the Calhoun Day episode that didn't quite seem to fit - now I know why. Really well done - enjoyed it thoroughly. I might even get the Mrs. interested since she loves a good drama, and there's not a ton of blood or gratuitous cussing.

Calhoun Day smacked a little of being added for the sole purpose of virtue signaling. To bang on the South for any current celebrations of civil war times.

Yes the very ending was great. For those who may not know...continue to watch through the credits. There are a couple critical bonus scenes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Calhoun Day smacked a little of being added for the sole purpose of virtue signaling. To bang on the South for any current celebrations of civil war times.

Fair enough, but the stage play was also a fictional account of history - I believe it was created by Adora? Seemed to me that the whole thing was introduced to shine more light on the town's propensity for ignoring facts and writing their own more satisfying story.

Question: Final episode, dinner table scene. Amma's new friend has something written(?) on her left wrist - I rewatched the scene a couple times but couldn't make it out. Got any insight (without giving anything away to those who might not have seen it yet)?

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, i remember seeing that, but don't know what was written.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Endo wrote:
Yeah, i remember seeing that, but don't know what was written.

I thought it said "Call Mom".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really liked that book.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Sharp Objects on HBO [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished watching this series and thought it was really good. I was like you after watching the first few episodes. I kept telling my wife I wasn't sure if I even wanted to finish it. My co-worker, who told me about the show, called it a "slow burn" and I have to agree. By the last few episodes, you're really into it and want to see how it wraps up. Thought the ending was great. I've since read a few articles about the ending and an interview with the author who worked on the show, and I may read the book just to see what slight differences there are between the two.
Quote Reply