Login required to post replies

Eric Byrnes triathlon across America
Quote | Reply
https://www.triathlete.com/...-of-triathlon_332941

Thought this was a cool endeavor.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that is a good, difficult but reasonable event to follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I appreciate the fact that he is not presenting this as something that it isn't and that he seems to have a great attitude about it with seemingly no ulterior motives ( like self promotion). I hope he gets it done and enjoys the journey.

"There are two ways to slide easily through life- to believe everything and to doubt everything- both ways save us from thinking "- Korzbyski
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [newguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
newguy wrote:
I appreciate the fact that he is not presenting this as something that it isn't and that he seems to have a great attitude about it with seemingly no ulterior motives ( like self promotion). I hope he gets it done and enjoys the journey.

yep. no timeframe stated. sounds like he's trying to be honest with the covering the distances. seems it started out as a way to promote his book but then decided to start a charity foundation to start youth activity. I see his ironmans were for charity as well. I didn't realize he did triathlons until I read this.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Ummm, but it is barely, just barely a three discipline event. I mean, a 7 mile swim vs 2350 mi on bike and 850 mi on the run??? That's just ludicrous.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sounds like another swimmer with a gripe about the unfairness of the proportion of the swim distance

ericmulk wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Ummm, but it is barely, just barely a three discipline event. I mean, a 7 mile swim vs 2350 mi on bike and 850 mi on the run??? That's just ludicrous.

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
sounds like another swimmer with a gripe about the unfairness of the proportion of the swim distance
ericmulk wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Yep, you got it!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He's on the Cubs/Brewers broadcast promoting this right now. I'm watching on MLB network, but I think it's the Cubs local broadcast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

nobody's ever happy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

I know you probably had tongue firmly in cheek but my sick little mind immediately started pondering whether it's even possible to do a swim leg that's all at the start, at a distance proportionally comparable to an Ironman, and makes actually progress west to east or east to west (so not just swimming up the Chesapeake or up the Pacific Coast). You'd need to swim at least 60 miles to get in the proportional ballpark.

So what's out there? For starters there is the Salish Sea in Washington. A swim from Neah Bay to Fort Casey is about 90 miles. I know people have swum across the Salish Bay but swimming the length of it seems pretty fraught both physically and legally due to currents and shipping and orcas.

Then there's the Columbia River which definitely can give you all the distance you want. There was a guy in 2003 who supposedly swam the full length of the river but he did it in sections and with the current. Here too current and shipping as well as pollution would be a problem, but probably not orcas.

East to west the obvious answer is the Long Island Sound. You'd have lots of problems with shipping and currents and pollution. I know people have swum across LI sound but I doubt anyone's ever swam a significant length of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty cool.

Did he provide any data files. I'd just be really interested in the route he took for the swim?

Where did he get out on the Oakland side?

EDIT: Nevermind I found his Strava profile.
Last edited by: bulldog15: Aug 16, 18 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

I know you probably had tongue firmly in cheek but my sick little mind immediately started pondering whether it's even possible to do a swim leg that's all at the start, at a distance proportionally comparable to an Ironman, and makes actually progress west to east or east to west (so not just swimming up the Chesapeake or up the Pacific Coast). You'd need to swim at least 60 miles to get in the proportional ballpark.

So what's out there? For starters there is the Salish Sea in Washington. A swim from Neah Bay to Fort Casey is about 90 miles. I know people have swum across the Salish Bay but swimming the length of it seems pretty fraught both physically and legally due to currents and shipping and orcas.

Then there's the Columbia River which definitely can give you all the distance you want. There was a guy in 2003 who supposedly swam the full length of the river but he did it in sections and with the current. Here too current and shipping as well as pollution would be a problem, but probably not orcas.

East to west the obvious answer is the Long Island Sound. You'd have lots of problems with shipping and currents and pollution. I know people have swum across LI sound but I doubt anyone's ever swam a significant length of it.

From Hatteras Island across Pamlico sound and into Pamlico river? (Haven't been there myself, though, so I don't know if swimming that length is feasible).
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Actually, i was not responding "tongue in cheek" but rather in all seriousness, although really it does not matter. It is his "event" and i guess he can call it whatever he wants, but in my mind it is much closer to a "duathlon across America". As you have pointed out, it would be pretty close to impossible to swim a significant dist across in one effort but in that case he should be "swimming, biking, and running each day across America". Some of his swims would prob need to be in pools so not "going across" but at least he'd be doing a triathlon each day. As it stands, translating to a shorter distance, his "triathlon" is about like a 100 yd swim/18 mi bike/6.2 mi run, which is not really a tri IMO, but of course, of course, as always, opinions vary. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also was gonna say the swim was short, swimmer bias and all.
The swim is a good stand alone swim.
Though maybe he could have gone closer to the Coliseum to make it a ballpark to ballpark swim.
Maybe he could have swam across Tahoe and one of the Great Lakes?

But, I'll give him a pass as it's his event and he went to my high school. (Though he is friends with he who is not to be named)
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think he gets a pass as he’s not really claiming it’s something it’s not. Seems like he’s defined the work he’s going to do and is making a good effort to do those distances
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking since he is here and started in CA< he could have done the Catalina Channel crossing. That is a standard event held every year, and is held in pretty high regard to those that do well there. Its about 20 miles and done almost entirely in the dark. Does cost some money though, boat, crew, officials, but it would have been a cool start to this thing vs just swimming a few miles in SF bay..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been a huge fan of Eric Byrnes for a long time, since he started playing baseball here in Arizona years ago. He is a dedicated endurance athlete, a good dude, and sometimes has a mustache. I will definitely be donating to his cause.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I was thinking since he is here and started in CA< he could have done the Catalina Channel crossing. That is a standard event held every year, and is held in pretty high regard to those that do well there. Its about 20 miles and done almost entirely in the dark. Does cost some money though, boat, crew, officials, but it would have been a cool start to this thing vs just swimming a few miles in SF bay..

He lives in Redmond (according to wikipedia)...so swimming across the SF bay is basically like jumping off his back porch. I'm sure overall logistics came into play. Probably a lot easier to find a friend or neighbor with a boat follow you for a couple of hours starting at 10 am rather than packing up the van and driving all the way down to SoCal to do this event where he may not have as many connections to find a support crew.
Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I also was gonna say the swim was short, swimmer bias and all.
The swim is a good stand alone swim.
Though maybe he could have gone closer to the Coliseum to make it a ballpark to ballpark swim.
Maybe he could have swam across Tahoe and one of the Great Lakes?

But, I'll give him a pass as it's his event and he went to my high school. (Though he is friends with he who is not to be named)

Tahoe and the Great Lakes are great ideas!!!

Quote Reply
Re: Eric Byrnes triathlon across America [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
monty wrote:

He lives in Redmond (according to wikipedia)...so swimming across the SF bay is basically like jumping off his back porch. I'm sure overall logistics came into play. Probably a lot easier to find a friend or neighbor with a boat follow you for a couple of hours starting at 10 am rather than packing up the van and driving all the way down to SoCal to do this event where he may not have as many connections to find a support crew.

Don't know what you mean by Redmond, but he lives in Half Moon Bay. Seems to hang out a lot in the Donner Lake and Tahoe areas as well.
As far as logistics, he's crossing the whole freaking country - he's got a lot of support to do that.
Quote Reply