Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Crit bike- foil? Allez?
Quote | Reply
Roadies help a brother out. I have an older style Tarmac (sl5 is it?).... curves top tube one. Anyway, love it. Good road racing bike. I’m going to get back intro crits and have a few bills burning a hole in my pocket.
Anyone have experience with the newer foil? I used to own the previous version and it was a great crit bike. What’s the new one like? Likewise the allez, anyone have experience with it? Any reccomendations? I like my Tarmac but was looking for a change in the shorter stuff. Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Crit bike- foil? Allez? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I owned a 2016 Foil 10. Probably one of the best all around race bikes I have had the pleasure riding/racing. Comfort, handling, weight, aero properties all top shelf. Not a fan of direct mount brakes but, that would not hold me back from buying another one in the future.

While I have not ridden the new Allez I have several friends who currently ride it and rave about it. Didn't Jon Brown win US Pro nats on one? Anywho, an amazing bike at a great price if your on a budget. Even if not on a budget it might be the sleeper bike of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Crit bike- foil? Allez? [woodys737] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was one of my main concerns the bottom bracket brakes. I use a stages so would need tr trp brakes for clearance. Not sure if you can mix and match a shimano up front and trp rear, the feel might be a bit risky.
I had a 2013 foil at one time and that thing was a stiff bastard, good for crits. I could buy one of them second hand but would need to put an 12 speed groupset on it I guess
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about a tarmac sl5? Stiff, agile, and comfortable. Have seen them do really well in crits.
Quote Reply
Re: Crit bike- foil? Allez? [ctflower] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well that ain’t no fun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
That was one of my main concerns the bottom bracket brakes. I use a stages so would need tr trp brakes for clearance. Not sure if you can mix and match a shimano up front and trp rear, the feel might be a bit risky.
I had a 2013 foil at one time and that thing was a stiff bastard, good for crits. I could buy one of them second hand but would need to put an 12 speed groupset on it I guess

This frame is not nearly as harsh/stiff as the older Foil and I for one think that's a good thing. Not sure on the clearance question as I run Quarq. Fwiw I have more than one friend who used a stages pm with this frame. I didn't note what type rear brake though. Just send a direct inquiry to Scott perhaps...
Quote Reply
Re: Crit bike- foil? Allez? [woodys737] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Caad12 is worth a look
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Allez. It and the CAAD12 are good options for keeping the price down on your crit bike. I'm still using my 2013 TCR Advanced. Best crit bike I've even had. Faster than my C59 (2011), Lynskey Helix (2014) and Litespeed Ultimate (2004).
Quote Reply
Re: Crit bike- foil? Allez? [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks all....the foil was a second hander 10 speed circa 2013 by the way. Just update the groupset on the cheap. Or get the alu allez, maybe build a frame like the sagan edition below

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fuji Transonic. Shimano direct-mount brakes in conventional locations on fork and seatstays, with stiffness/handling apparently inspired by their track frames. Also cheaper than some of the others mentioned, so you would be out less money if you destroyed the frame in a pile-up.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Aug 16, 18 4:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Allez Sprint and it's an awesome bike. Stiff, aero and pretty light. On longer rides, it less forgiving than a carbon frame, but still not too bad. It also costs about a quarter of what a upper end carbon bike might fetch.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check the geometries - the Allez comes with a much lower stack. I'd be more worried about showing up to a crit with 2 spacers under your stem. :-0
Quote Reply