Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclist died in triathlon in Ohio race
Quote | Reply
This was brought to my attention by a family member. Sucks for the family and I am pretty sure I am reading it correctly and it sure sounds like they are placing all blame on the cyclist.

https://amp.thenews-messenger.com/amp/972881002
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist died in triathlon in Ohio race [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow so traffic control failure?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist died in triathlon in Ohio race [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:
Sounds like it was an open course with no traffic control. If that was the case, then it was the cyclist fault.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist died in triathlon in Ohio race [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First of all - condolences to the family and loved ones of this triathlete.

No traffic control would be very unusual here (TN) and IME. Even for an open course - maybe *especially* for an open course - there are marshalls at intersections stopping traffic. If this was a driver pulling out of a driveway, sure, no expectation of a marshall in that case. But a 'regular' intersection? Yup, I'd expect a marhall to be stopping traffic for me. I wasn't there, so *maybe* there was plenty of prerace reinforcement to stop at stop signs and not expect marshalls at intersections. But this just seems weird - stop during a race for traffic?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist died in triathlon in Ohio race [Reactions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reactions wrote:

I'd be interested to know if this intersection was pointed out during the pre-race talk. Maybe they thought they had it manned but there was a miscommunication? It's hard to find volunteers to man a bike course, I know the struggle firsthand. But an intersection where cross traffic doesn't stop? That has got to be manned or in desperation, I would have signed the crap out of it. Big red letters on big signs making it as obvious as possible. The fact neither one saw each other. . . in Ohio. . . in August. . . I'm guessing country road with corn fields on either side?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist died in triathlon in Ohio race [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a very small city in Ohio and is rural. The race had a ton of races like sprint, oly, duathlons, aquathons, and running races on the same day. Race website does not say anything about closed roads or marshalls at intersections and nothing has come from race organizers about the incident. I have been in small races and I always remember an officer at intersections, especially at a crossing intersection like this sounds like it was. Very sad no matter the reasoning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Town is 45 min away from me. I had considered the race earlier in the year but didn't pan out. Here's another article from the local paper.

https://www.thenews-messenger.com/...led-crash/972881002/

Luckily I have never done a race with no Marshall's/LEOs in my few years of tris. Even with full respect of traffic laws the thought of having to race but make a choice of stop/ no stop is very conflicting.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist died in triathlon in Ohio race [Krued] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you from? I grew up in Amherst and went to school in Tiffin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maumee
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist died in triathlon in Ohio race [Krued] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys get a room already

Jk!

I’m with the others. I’ve never “raced” without traffic control BUT I’m sure many of us have done century rides in which we were explicitly told to obey ALL traffic laws.
Quote Reply