Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A second triathlon fatality in northern Ohio over the weekend
Quote | Reply
https://www.thenews-messenger.com/...led-crash/972881002/

My condolences to Mark Wladecki's family and friends. A tragic reminder to keep your head up at intersections when competing.

Speaking to Dan's front-page story published today, I was in Cleveland for nationals this weekend where I played along side thousands of fit, enthusiastic people, including multiple competitors in their 80s, so I definitely concur that triathlon can prolong a healthy, happy life.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Aug 13, 18 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: A second triathlon fatality in northern Ohio over the weekend [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was it instructed to racers they had to stop there or was it a closed course? It seems like police are blaming the bike rider so they don't have to do anything or get involved (insurance, investigation, etc) this is typical police habit in bike/pedestrian vs car incidents
Quote Reply
Re: A second triathlon fatality in northern Ohio over the weekend [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Was it instructed to racers they had to stop there or was it a closed course? It seems like police are blaming the bike rider so they don't have to do anything or get involved (insurance, investigation, etc) this is typical police habit in bike/pedestrian vs car incidents

The only information I know is contained in the story. An attorney who represents cyclists posted the story on FB and is attempting to get more details.
Quote Reply
Re: A second triathlon fatality in northern Ohio over the weekend [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was looking at the website. It doesn’t say either way. Nothing about a closed course, police for cross traffic or that they need to stop at intersections.
Quote Reply
Re: A second triathlon fatality in northern Ohio over the weekend [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, this was my first triathlon ever back in 2012. I was going to participate again, but attended a friends wedding instead. The course is out on rural roads with very few cars, and the three years I raced there was at least one volunteer/police officer at every corner/intersection. A volunteer not doing their job? The 74 year old driver not paying attention to someone telling them to stop? Not sure though. Flat open roads, can see people on bikes from a quarter mile away, most likely not the cyclist's fault, but that's just speculation. Condolences to his family, another tragedy.
Last edited by: Matt1019: Aug 13, 18 12:30
Quote Reply