Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

ROAD TRIP ADVICE LAS VEGAS, THEN WHAT?
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone,

Planning on a trip for 9 days (going to be flying in from NYC), going to stay in Vegas for 3 days, (rent a car) then go for a day to see the Hoover Damn & the Grand Canyon. From there I have no other idea were else to go (not for the young, will be traveling with 2 senior citizens).
If you guys can point me out, to other interesting places / destinations to go with in a 7 hour drive or less, much appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Last edited by: DE' ADRE: Aug 13, 18 11:22
Quote Reply
Re: ROAD TRIP ADVICE LAS VEGAS, THEN WHAT? [DE' ADRE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Driving to Vegas or flying in & driving from there?

I'm a fan of a day trip to Death Valley. Or if driving from CA then going back thru DV. And if you have a very, very fast car it is a great place to go very very very very fast.

Another good thing to do, depending on the group you are with & what you like to do is houseboating on Lake Mead. Basically like going to Death Valley but if it was filled with water. I'm partial to boating out of Temple Bar b/c of lack of people.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Last edited by: mopdahl: Aug 13, 18 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zion National Park & Bryce Canyon National Park
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reno for hookers and blow. And then a quiet weekend at Lake Tahoe?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sedona.
Quote Reply
Re: ROAD TRIP ADVICE LAS VEGAS, THEN WHAT? [Guffaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guffaw wrote:
Reno for hookers and blow. And then a quiet weekend at Lake Tahoe?

Reno is too far. Chicken Ranch and Sheri's Ranch are much closer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, Meteor Crater Natural Landmark, Petrified Forest, and Painted Desert are three must-see destinations on that route. Also, one day for the Grand Canyon is really not enough time unless you're doing a quick fly-by.

As one who has lived in the South West for many years, be well aware that it is HOT,HOT, HOT if you're coming at this time of year ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: ROAD TRIP ADVICE LAS VEGAS, THEN WHAT? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//Zion National Park & Bryce Canyon National Park //

I second this suggestion. Or head into St. George or Moab both of which are very driveable.
Last edited by: JD21: Aug 13, 18 15:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you come to AZ go north. It's 100+ every day in the Phoenix area and now we have monsoon rains... Have you thought about San Diego? It's about 330 miles from Vegas. Last time I looked the high there was 80 every single day.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: ROAD TRIP ADVICE LAS VEGAS, THEN WHAT? [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
If you come to AZ go north. It's 100+ every day in the Phoenix area and now we have monsoon rains... Have you thought about San Diego? It's about 330 miles from Vegas. Last time I looked the high there was 80 every single day.

Sorry I did not indicated the times / date August 31 to September 10.

Thank you for the heads up in regards to the weather.

I looked in to the suggestions from the comments above and (feel free to shine in if there is anything interesting to see base on my plans)
- LA, arrive on Friday night at 8/31, do some sight seeing a day or 2
- Entire day go to Universal Studios
- Start heading to Vegas, but stop over and see the Red rocks
- Do Vegas for 3 days
- Head to Hoover damn, then Grand Canyon
- Head to Sedona as mentioned above (I have been there and it be a great place for my parents to see)

I think base on the above that is 7 to 8 days.

Please expand you're thoughts in regards to San Diego.

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Valley of Fire is worth a quick trip since it is about 40 miles north east of Vegas. They filmed some of Galaxy Quest there.
Quote Reply
Re: ROAD TRIP ADVICE LAS VEGAS, THEN WHAT? [cholla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cholla wrote:
Zion National Park & Bryce Canyon National Park

This. Especially if you have senior citizens with you. There's very short and easy hikes in Zion that get you into the canyons for some jaw dropping scenery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A red flag went off when you said you had seniors. 3 days in Vegas is a long time unless you like to gamble. Daytime temps there will be 100+. Sedona temps will be 90+. If you get to Sedona try and get to Jerome too. Hoover Dam can be a real cluster due to traffic, we were just there in April, so if you are going go early. Grand Canyon weather is going to be 95+. Not sure what interests you but here is a list from Trip Advisor on 15 things to do in San Diego:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/...iego_California.html

The Zoo in San Diego is outstanding as is the night life. Mission Beach has something for everyone. You could also do ocean kayaking and the USS Midway Museum is supposed to be pretty cool. Or just grab some beers and chill on the beach. I hope you have a great time whatever you decide.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- Start heading to Vegas, but stop over and see the Red rocks
- Do Vegas for 3 days
- Head to Hoover damn

You could do Red Rocks one morning and Hoover Damn another morning. No sense using a separate day for them. Try and save time for other destinations. Pack a lunch from subway or somewhere with drinks. Go to Red Rocks and at the first pull off, get out and scramble up the rocks. It's the pull off with the closest access to the rocks. The rest you'll just drive through.

Also, Vegas has an amazing China town if you want to eat there one day. Plan ahead or you'll be getting reservations for 11 pm.
Last edited by: damn lucky: Aug 14, 18 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skip Universal Studios in LA. Worlds worst amusement park. There about 1000 better things to do in LA.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: ROAD TRIP ADVICE LAS VEGAS, THEN WHAT? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
Skip Universal Studios in LA. Worlds worst amusement park. There about 1000 better things to do in LA.

x100. Worst day ever. Crowds, mediocre attractions, more crowds, broken down attractions. Only redeeming feature was the fantastic burger at the Flintstones grill.
Quote Reply
Re: ROAD TRIP ADVICE LAS VEGAS, THEN WHAT? [wild hare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wild hare wrote:
mopdahl wrote:

x100. Worst day ever. Crowds, mediocre attractions, more crowds, broken down attractions. Only redeeming feature was the fantastic burger at the Flintstones grill.

mopdahl & wild hare

Thank you for this information, will definitely skip this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zion.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed Flagstaff Arizona. If you could make time for this to be a stop I think you'd enjoy it. It's a very walkable town, several breweries and nice places to eat. Charming downtown and not far from the Grand Canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red Rocks is about 30 minutes from the Strip, so if you come to town, you can take a break from Vegas/Strip sights to spend some time out there, or go in the morning before it gets too hot. Same for Hoover Dam. Probably 45-60 minutes, traffic can be crazy going into the canyon, but the Dam tour is cool, and walking over the dam and the new bridge are pretty cool. Guess it would depend on how old and mobile your parents are. Have a great trip. It’ll be hot, but fun! Lots of great sites in the SW.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto some/most of the comments here about day trips. Unless you REALLY like crowds/heat/gambling, Vegas is just exhausting. Hoover dam is a day trip--get there early. You'll be done in a couple of hours. Death Valley a long day trip. Red Rocks ditto.

If you are a foodie, quite simply the best Thai in the US is at Lotus of Siam. It used to be in a strip mall on wrong side of town but now they have moved...I haven't been to new location. 99% of any negative review is b/c of the wait.....make reservations now. Buy off their wine list (it is cheap!!), and Riesling + Thai = YUM. Trust the somelier. Peruse the wine/food boards for recs, but basically anything black pepper/northern Thai is awesome. I've eaten there about 50x and never a meal less than HFSTWG.

Quote Reply