Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sattley TT - Fixed gear - National record 55-59
Quote | Reply
Since the weather sucked at the Loyalton TT this year (windy), Rob Van Houweling worked with the Reno Wheelmen to promote a record attempt day just across the valley on the Sattley TT course. It was a small, invitation affair with only five riders.

Having just last week used my TT bike, a Specialized Shiv for pursuit and team pursuit at elite track nationals, I got kind of lazy and did something I've always wanted to do and ran a fixed gear. I didn't want to build it back up only to strip it down again for the upcoming track districts and later track worlds. I used a gear chart and called 50' my goal and decided on 100 rpm for my cadence. That pointed to a 54x14 being the best choice. I installed the front brake per the rules and was good to go. The forecast was for calm winds so I figured I'd be okay.

And it went pretty much as planned. There is just a bit of elevation change on this course, but the lowest cadence I saw was 92 (the data showed 89 though) rpm for around 42 kph, but mostly when it was flat I was at 100-102 rpm and 48-50 kph. I was hoping to sneak in under 50 minutes but it was not meant to be and my final time was 50:18 which broke the existing record of 50:59 held by Gary Painter. In three previous attempts on the Loyalton course I missed it by I believe 2 and 3 seconds (2016 and 2018) and in 2017 broke it with a 50:16. That attempt was not ratified due to the electronic timing failing and a new rule that year requiring electronic timing. This time everything worked as it should and I met USADA in Vacaville on my way home to get drug tested. Another new rule in 2017.

BTW, the Sattley course sits at an elevation of 4900 feet above sea level.

My average power was 300 watts on the nose and my average cadence was 98 rpm.

Here's the Strava link which includes a picture of my bike setup.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1768362069

Also, Molly Van Houweling set a new women's 45-49 record of 54:03.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Sattley TT - Fixed gear - National record 55-59 [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats!

Can I ask a few questions - hope so?

1. What front brake are you running?
2. If the course wasn’t so straight would you have run a rear brake too? Or would the fixie allow you to slow down enough?
3. Did you tape up the valve cutout on your disc wheel?
4. What skewers were you running?
5. What was the variability index on your ride? I assume low given the fixed gear setup.

TIA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, Kevin! I thought Gary's record may make it for a while longer after the timing issues NorCal had last year. To my knowledge, Moriarty is the only remaining TT that meets the USAC criteria. Great job on you all putting the record attempts together and pulling it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
very nice, congratulations!

Turns out, you do indeed only need one gear, so long as it's the right gear ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sattley TT - Fixed gear - National record 55-59 [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
Congrats!

Can I ask a few questions - hope so?

1. What front brake are you running?
2. If the course wasn’t so straight would you have run a rear brake too? Or would the fixie allow you to slow down enough?
3. Did you tape up the valve cutout on your disc wheel?
4. What skewers were you running?
5. What was the variability index on your ride? I assume low given the fixed gear setup.

TIA
I used the standard Shiv front brake. Thatis one of the reasons I didn't want to put it all back to road trim. Those brakes are a major PITA to put together. I am strongly considering a set of Tri Rig Omega's just for that reason.

No need for a rear brake, the front plus a little back pedal pressure is more than enough for any normal TT course.

I did tape the valve cut out.

The rear wheel is set up with the track axle which uses 8 mm hex bolts that screw into the axle. The front is using a track skewer that tightens with a 5mm allen wrench.

I think that my NP was 301, so pretty steady.

Oh, and those are Conti TT clinchers with latex tubes and the chain is the waxed Shimano 11 speed chain I used for the hour record last year.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting. I enjoy reading about your record attempts! Congratulations!
Quote Reply
Re: Sattley TT - Fixed gear - National record 55-59 [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
To my knowledge, Moriarty is the only remaining TT that meets the USAC criteria. Great job on you all putting the record attempts together and pulling it off.
The Loyalton TT has been making an effort to meet the criteria and did meet them this year. I have to admit I'm starting to miss Sattley though. Loyalton has a great staging area and the town seems to welcome the race, but the course is windier than Sattley and has two ~90 degree turns (first left then right) each direction, and I think that shape means that no matter what direction the wind comes from it ends up being a net penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Sattley TT - Fixed gear - National record 55-59 [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos given! Great work.

I've done a spattering of little slow TT's. I tried 25mi one time in training. I can't imagine going after a record for an hour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, well done.

Ceteris paribus, 1X track setups are faster. But then, if you're averaging 300 watts at 5000 feet, you'd go fast on a Pee Wee Herman bike.

Definitely get the tri-rig brake. They are easy to set up and easy to adjust for different rim widths. And they're faster than anything currently on the market.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!

I think a defensible argument can be made that right now Sattley is faster than Loyalton and Moriarty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulation Kevin. I also feel I am as fast on my Fixed as a geared bike on a flat course.

BoulderCyclingCoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sattley TT - Fixed gear - National record 55-59 [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I haven't been a Californian for some time. Does Sattley still have those $^%$%!! pavement cracks? I feel like those cost about 1 minute on a 40K time, not to mention the urologist/chiropractor bills.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: Sattley TT - Fixed gear - National record 55-59 [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:

I haven't been a Californian for some time. Does Sattley still have those $^%$%!! pavement cracks? I feel like those cost about 1 minute on a 40K time, not to mention the urologist/chiropractor bills.

They repaved the A23 road a few years back and it was glorious. I can't quantify it, but there sure were a lot of fast times that first year it was repaved. It is still good and has better pavement than the Loyalton course, but there are some cracks starting to show up. Nothing like what you remember though.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
I think a defensible argument can be made that right now Sattley is faster than Loyalton and Moriarty.
I think so too. Once in a while Sattley also has a magic fast day when the wind slowly switches from South to North over the morning, so everyone has more tailwind than they had headwind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:

Moriarty's pavement is suffering. I got all excited a few years back when I happened upon a huge repaving rig on that road. They were grinding up the old asphalt at one end and laying down beautiful smooth pavement out the other. They only did a few miles at the north end, not the whole thing. And as is the practice here, new asphalt is covered with chipseal to "preserve" it... (!%$#@?). On this stretch of road they went back over with an extra layer of tar so it is quite smooth, but I suspect still a bit slow because of the soft tar. The south end of the road hasn't been repaved in a long time.

Still I think it's a pretty good course. Molly did 52:48 at Moriarty in 2016, vs 54:03 recently at Sattley.
Quote Reply