Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

swimming with towel between your ankles?
Quote | Reply
I've seen some swimmers, swim with a band and a small towel tied to the band, dragging behind. What's that all about?
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with towel between your ankles? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
I've seen some swimmers, swim with a band and a small towel tied to the band, dragging behind. What's that all about?

that is what you see in the movie "We are Triathletes" when rinny is training... its a ghetto drag chute. siri uses that for her top athletes soooo guess it works
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with towel between your ankles? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
zedzded wrote:

that is what you see in the movie "We are Triathletes" when rinny is training... its a ghetto drag chute. siri uses that for her top athletes soooo guess it works

Why though? More drag = improves your catch?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: swimming with towel between your ankles? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I often see junior club swimmers at the pool using drag shorts over their speedos. I never really got it the idea. I mean if you're getting better then you'll just swim faster and as a consequence more, why would you need to increase your drag artificially to slow yourself down? I don't see it working like weight lifting where you lift heavier when you get better.. or does it?
Last edited by: surrey85: Aug 13, 18 1:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they probably just want to extend the lap duration
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with towel between your ankles? [surrey85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A while back I saw a youth squad using drag chutes & paddles, so I guess they believe it works. Looked pretty time consuming too, getting all that gear sorted for a few laps. Is it still common place for club swimmers to swim against bungees attached to them?

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with towel between your ankles? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG swimmers still use bungees, chutes, and buckets. We used buckets in college because they’re cheap (paint bucket tied to a rope around your waist). It’s just a way to build strength. A lot of times we would use it on a day when we were doing stations instead of a regular practice. Hard AF to swim with.

I don’t see any AG swimmers using extra suits for drag anymore, though. Granted, it might just be because I live in Florida now (originally from MA) and they don’t want the tan lines.
Last edited by: swimswam1003: Aug 13, 18 4:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did this in HS and College, and I still do it once in a great while just to show off. It has no real purpose in my swim training these days.

A band on your legs forces you to maintain proper body position - Legs, rotation, and breathing. If any of those are off you sink quickly. Once that is corrected, you need to compensate for the loss of propulsion from your legs by improving your catch, follow through, and turnover. Once that is in place you put a towel between your legs to add drag. Now everything you had to do to compensate for the loss of legs is multiplied. The only thing you can really do is improve turnover. That causes you arms and shoulders to fatigue very quickly. You also go into oxygen debt quicker, even breathing every stroke.

Since most on this board have problems with a band, the towel isn't really something the majority should consider. Its a graduate level drill with limited purpose that most aren't ready for anyway.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: swimming with towel between your ankles? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
swimming every am next to h.s swim team. girls and boys always have to have drag suit on. have to.
and drag chutes often used all thru the year. all kind of exercises done with those.
coaches here know what they're doing, i think. so i'm sure it's more the norm than the opposite.
fwiw.

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply