Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Casco Bay SwimRun 2019
Quote | Reply
I had the privilege of racing in this special event today. It throws a major curveball to the regular multi sport athlete. 4 plus miles of swimming (felt like more than that) plus 14 miles of running. The constant switching back and forth causes a lot of challenge with the differences in heart rate, breathing patterns, muscle usage, etc.

Kudos to Lars Finanger for founding and managing this event. This year’s race was a tribute to its co-founder Jeff Cole.
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Bay SwimRun 2019 [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And will you do another? :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a blast! Will
Do another swim run race.
More enjoyable than Ironman.
Challenging and more “adventurous “
Not the same sense of accomplishment though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was indeed a privilege to race Casco this year. Jeff's vision for the event and SwimRun in general is certainly alive and well, thanks to the hard work done by Lars and company. Such a dynamic course with a variety of runs (trails, shoreline scrambles, road, dirt, etc) and some very challenging swims (particularly when you are tethered to another person!). I thought last year worked me over, but this year's course really beat me up. Can't wait to do it again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indebted to great folks like yourself who come out and join us every year! no doubt about it, this was a special year. Jeff was with me every day along the way of the planning phases. when in doubt i just asked "what would Jeff do" and the answer was clear. Jeff was also with us on race day. perfect conditions for a challenging swimrun. cool temps, light drizzle throughout, and those ripping currents....what's not to love:)

congrats on taming the beast and plowing through what was a beast of a day in Casco Bay!

Lars Finanger
Odyssey SwimRun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn’t do it due to injury and so bummed I missed it. Last year, we had a blast and we had been training hard for this one until my back gave out. Nevertheless, I volunteered. You saw me at the Nubble, 11 miles in on long course, on Long Island. Lots of people shivering and a few cuss words said with smiles, but they all got their butts up those slippery rocks and continued on. I envy you all.
Hope to be there next year.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Last edited by: HalfSpeed: Aug 15, 18 20:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else get a good amount of poison ivy? I assume it was from the first trail run?
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Bay SwimRun 2019 [nbaynes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos again to Lars for a great 2019 race. The race was longer, and although absent the passage from Peaks to Long, and tougher. Truly a fantastic experience. Lars is the man.
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Bay SwimRun 2019 [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race. I made the swimrun bibs (and hats and finisher tees). They are a new cut and fit compared to the last Odyssey race. I'd love some honest feedback on how they came out and performed. I've tested them in pools but not in race day conditions.
Thanks
Jeff
Jabbott@Headsweats.com

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Bay SwimRun 2019 [abbottj123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff,

The finisher shirts are badass. I was remarking to myself on how much I like it. I’m sure we all have dozens of cheap tech shirts (see IM). Yours is one I would happily wear beyond the immediate hours after the race.

The race bibs were very functional on the swim. I never noticed the drag from it.

Well done
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shirt pic?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Bay SwimRun 2019 [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Jeff Abbott - @run1fast
jabbott@headsweats.com
Headsweats - Custom Team singlets $8 / Cycling Jerseys $25
Abbott Event Solutions - Brand Rep and Event Manager
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Bay SwimRun 2019 [abbottj123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that is cool. I like the lobster buoys.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Bay SwimRun 2019 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why do people wear paddles and use bouys?
Quote Reply
Re: Casco Bay SwimRun 2019 [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are wearing your trail shoes. Buoys (or special flotation calf sleeves) help keep your level body position. Paddles help your propulsion, which you need because kicking isn’t very effective with the shoes on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
You are wearing your trail shoes. Buoys (or special flotation calf sleeves) help keep your level body position. Paddles help your propulsion, which you need because kicking isn’t very effective with the shoes on.
Ah...of course. Thank you!
Quote Reply