Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2 recent fatalities and the swim, my experience today... USAT why not certification program!!?? [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I don't have the citation, but I *thought* that the same metrics for mortality during a running-only event were far lower than those noted here for triathlon - same population/ages/degree of cardiac/cardiovascular disease. The fact that most tri deaths happen during the swim has multiple potential reasons, but let's be clear on a couple of points (1) you have an MI in the middle of a lake with 100 other folks thrashing around you and the chances of being discovered and getting help in the timeframe that might be lifesaving is way lower than having that same event running a 1/2 marathon and (2) IIRC and the mortality rates in tri are significantly greater than for running-only races or cycling-only races, then those tro death rates are NOT something to chalk up to 'everybody dies' or 'you can't predict the MI' or 'death rates are low'. /pink on (sorta) Maybe all triathlons should be converted to duathlons and everyone can avoid the most hazardous phase of the sport. /pink off (sorta)
Quote Reply

Prev Next