Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: Mission Impossible - Fallout
Quote | Reply
Mission Impossible: Fallout, is probably one of the most entertaining entry in a pretty entertaining series of action movies. Whatever you think about Tom Cruise, he knows how to make blockbuster action films with big sequences, spectacular scenery, and fast paced adrenaline junky stunts.

Since the events of MI: Rogue Nation, and the capture of bad guy Solomon Lane, his criminal organization of former spies has been running amok, unchecked, causing all sorts of problems all over the world. Ethan Hunt and his team are on the track of a set of stolen plutonium cores, when this organization, known as The Apostles, are able to leverage Hunt's loyalty to his teammates to steal the cores right from underneath him. As a result of this failure, the MI crew must now cooperate with a CIA assassin (Henry Cavill) who will stop at nothing to get the cores back, including sacrificing the rest of the team if need be. Hunt and his fellow MI agents are working on a short clock; they need to secure the plutonium, keep Lane and his organization from killing millions, and figure out how British agent and Hunt's love interest, Ilsa Faust, is involved in the whole plot. Will they find the cores in time to prevent nuclear disaster? Will they prevent Lane from executing an elaborate escape? Will Hunt be able to figure out who he can trust, in time to save the people he loves?

Fallout is the first MI film to really continue its major plot points from a previous film. It helps to be familiar with Rogue Nation coming into Fallout to understand the relationships between Hunt and the main bad guy as well as Faust, however, it's not entirely necessary. At its core, Fallout is exactly what the previous MI films have been; big action scenes, spectacular stunts, and spy trickery. There are a handful of major set scenes that work pretty well, and the helicopter chase featured heavily in the trailers is very good. Throughout, the effects are good, the action is relentless, and the plot keeps moving. There are, of course, some items that require suspension of disbelief, but if you don't come to the theater with the mindset already, then you should probably go to a different movie.

Cruise is good as usual in this role. The cast includes Ving Rhames, Simon Peg, Alec Baldwin, Rebecca Ferguson, and Sean Harris, all from Rogue Nation, as well as Angela Basset and Cavill as CIA additions. The acting is decent for an action movie, although it's, of course, not Oscar stuff (well, maybe, with the new pop movie Oscar category).

Overall, this is a very good summer action blockbuster. It's PG-13, with a lot of action and a bit of language, but nothing else objectionable. Highly recommended if you like this type of film (e.g. Bourne, Bond, etc).

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Mission Impossible - Fallout [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
action blockbusters aren't my thing but I really enjoyed this. Hope they shift out Angela Bassett for somebody less stilted in the next go round. Strangely, I liked the fight scene in the bathroom better than all the motorcycle stuff (which I loved in the last one). I wonder how many takes poor old Tom needed for that epic sprint.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Mission Impossible - Fallout [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took my 11 & 12 y.o. boys and they loved it.

I really enjoyed it too. Almost all of the stunts verged on cliche, similar scenes had been done so many times before (fist fight on a cliff edge, massive punch-up in bathroom, car/ motorbike chases etc etc).

Huge risk in that, but they managed to up the ante almost every time. The stunts were so well executed, there were people in the theatre who actually screamed aloud several times. Any plot implausibilities were swept away by the non-stop action. Good, old-fashioned fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Mission Impossible - Fallout [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wonder how many takes poor old Tom needed for that epic sprint.
---

Apparently, there's a semi-direct relationship between Tom Cruise movie running distance and movie quality.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/...tter-his-movies-are/

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wrote this in the other thread, but though the action sequences required quite a bit of suspension of disbelief, they were quite good (but you knew that going in) minus maybe the hook on the rock sequence

I had two hang ups with the plot: (mild spoilers)
-The stolen Soviet/Russian nukes plot is wearing thin. Austin Powers was making fun of that plot trip 20 years ago, and the movie just starts off by saying "yep, stolen Russian nukes - deal with it." I realize there's only so many ways to get your hands on some nukes but they can't all be from Russia.
-If you're an evil mastermind bent on causing as much havoc as possible, do you put both nukes in the same location to be set off simultaneously? So it can be 'extra nuked' or something? All they had to do was say that for maximum effect, the other nuke is in the next gorge over and send half the team in that direction to defuse it.
Last edited by: timbasile: Aug 12, 18 7:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much spot on.

I liked it more than you did.

I probably had more drinks in me pre-viewing than you did.

Vertigo scenes got to me.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply