Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Movie Review: The Meg
Quote | Reply
So, The Meg is a stupid movie. The good thing is, it pretty much knows it's a stupid movie, you pretty much already know it's a stupid movie, so at least there's no mismatched expectations.

Jonas Taylor (Jason Statham) is the leader of a deep sea rescue team that specializes in pulling people out of crashed vessels at extreme depths. In the middle of executing just such a rescue mission, Jonas encounters something in the water large enough to crush a submarine from the outside, forcing him to make the terrible decision to leave two of his crew behind to die so he can escape with the submarine's survivors. Years later, a scientific expedition funded by an eccentric billionaire (Rainn Wilson), and including Jonas's ex-wife, has encountered another mysterious massive creature, and they call on the only man known to have survived a rescue attempt at the massive depths where the behemoth is found. Jonas successfully rescues most of the stranded crew, but in doing so, the team draws the mystery creature (hint: it's a really big shark) up to the surface where it now poses a danger to all of humanity (apparently).

The Meg, as I said, is pretty stupid. The plot is very basic. Man finds big shark. Shark is dangerous. Man tries to kill big shark. Not much thinking to do for this one. It's also got all the stereotypical characters. There's eccentric billionaire, world weary hero, comic relief black guy who can't swim despite working in a deep sea underwater facility, precocious child, and brilliant female scientist who just wants her father to be proud of her. There's even punky badass female scientist/technician with "hip" name played by actress with even "hipper" name (Jaxx played by Ruby Rose who can't, at all, act.) There are all of the familiar shark movie beats, designed to make you jump in your seat at all the familiar parts of the movie.

What's missing is a commitment from the filmmakers to what kind of shark film this will be. It's not over the top enough to fall into the Sharknado category, but it's not straightforward and grounded enough to feel realistic. It's not gory enough to be a bloodfest, but it's not tame enough to be a serious film. It's not funny enough to be a comedy, but it's not serious enough to be a straight-up action film. It kind of sits in between, and probably suffers a bit because of that.

Overall, The Meg was pretty much what I expected. The effects are good. I saw it in 3D because that's all that was available, but I don't know that the 3D brought much that a regular viewing wouldn't have offered. The acting and script are mediocre, except for Rose who really sucks. There was a nice chemistry between Statham and the female lead, but nothing spectacular. The action is pretty good, and this would definitely qualify as a good summer weekend popcorn movie. Plus it's only PG-13, because there's relatively little gore, and no sex or nudity, although there's a bit of foul language, so you really could probably bring the kids with you, so long as they're not too young or sensitive.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Meg [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it is foolish to interject logic into movies like this, but, I ask out of curiosity. If this prehistoric shark is such a threat to humanity, why don't they call in the military? Couldn't the Navy wipe this thing off the face of the earth quite easily? Is there an explanation in the movie for why Jason Statham needs to take down the meg?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Meg [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I know it is foolish to interject logic into movies like this, but, I ask out of curiosity. If this prehistoric shark is such a threat to humanity, why don't they call in the military? Couldn't the Navy wipe this thing off the face of the earth quite easily? Is there an explanation in the movie for why Jason Statham needs to take down the meg?

They gloss over it with something about how they try to call the various countries impacted and are dismissed as crackpots because they're talking about a prehistoric shark.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Meg [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:

Would be a pretty short movie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
U dont like Ruby Rise uh? Well, shes your new Batwoman (not to be confused w Batgirl Barbara Gordon).

http://www.superherohype.com/...ws-batwoman#/slide/1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ok, the ending...did they nuke it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw the movie last night. Expected ridiculousness, but it is a Jason Statham movie- one man in the water takes down the Meg... yeah right.

Otherwise, story is what it could be. I don’t recall Jaws being that in depth of a story line.

I thought CGI was good and the kids liked it a lot, which is why I went anyway.

Popcorn was tasty, which is why I like the movies!

Now, compared to Black Panther- it’s a work of art. Damn did Black Panther suck. I swear it was one of the worst movies ever, but nobody wanted to admit it due to African American backlash.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this essentially a remake of Deep Blue Sea? If I recall, that movie didn't take itself seriously and had all the stereotypical characters, etc. Plus it had that awesome speech by Sam Jackson.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Meg [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother was an extra in the Meg (they put out a call here in New Zealand for people who are good swimmers to be extras) so I will see it at some point just to see if I can spot him. He is swimming in the water at some point.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: The Meg [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
JSA wrote:

Would be a pretty short movie.

If there is one, there are thousands, ..... dun dun dun dun dun dun

I think I just wrote the tagline for the sequel.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply