Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help with pricing a P3C
Quote | Reply
I am building a new bike, so looking to sell my old P3C with Zipp 808 wheels. I had an ad out for $1,800- OBO.

I got an email from the guy that said if it was $1,000. I said I have a non aero set of wheels I could put on a sell it for $1,000. (bike is full Dura Ace derailleurs, shifters, brakes, crank is Ultegra. Adamo saddle, BTA profile set up, BTS profile set up.

The guy came back with "I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a bike that old".

Sure, that's his want.
To me a cherry condition P3c isn't a $500 bike. (esp with Zipp 808s!)

Am I wrong? I think the bike is around 800-1000 and the wheels are ~$800.

Please help me with pricing this bike.
Last edited by: Etip: Aug 11, 18 23:31
Quote Reply
Re: Help with pricing a P3C [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose it depends on the market that you're in, but I wouldn't worry about people lowballing you.

If you sell anything (literally anything) online, you're going to get someone lowballing you because it only takes a moment of their time and it costs them nothing to try and see how desperate you are to sell. I just sold a small portable never-used BBQ via Kijiji. It sells for $280 in stores, I listed it at $120 and instantly had 3 or 4 emails. Then someone emailed asking my lowest price which at that point was $120 (it sold for $130). He responded, "OK $80 and I'll pick it up tomorrow".

Stuff like that would normally annoy me, but if you're selling stuff online you need a thicker skin. Laugh at them and move on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etip wrote:
I am building a new bike, so looking to sell my old P3C with Zipp 808 wheels. I had an ad out for $1,800- OBO.

I got an email from the guy that said if it was $1,000. I said I have a non aero set of wheels I could put on a sell it for $1,000. (bike is full Dura Ace derailleurs, shifters, brakes, crank is Ultegra. Adamo saddle, BTA profile set up, BTS profile set up.

The guy came back with "I wouldn't pay more than $500 for a bike that old".

Sure, that's his want.
To me a cherry condition P3c isn't a $500 bike. (esp with Zipp 808s!)

Please help me with pricing this bike.

What year is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the wonderful thing about selling is that you can always test your assumptions. If you feel your wheels are worth $800, put them on the ST classifieds and see if they sell. If they do, take the money buy cheap trainer wheels and sell the P3C for $1000.

Also, it would really help to know the year of the bike. I just helped a client buy a 2008 P2. At the end of the day it is a 10 year old bike. It depreciates and at a much faster rate than most sellers want to admit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the asking price is about right if you're prepared for 15% bartering room.
A classic p3c is still an awesome bike. The real selling point being geometry for certain riders.
I bought a P4 a few years back for that reason.

Also when it comes to age. I would pay a fair price for a 1994 lotus. These days that's about the same as a P5x new.
A buyer who knows what they want would pay $1000 with training wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I've bought a couple of P3 framesets on ebay recently for around $500. For me it's the fastest bike available. So it's a hell of a bargain.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Market ultimately controls. I have a 2009 p3c with zipp 404 clinchers. Love the bike and it's served me great. I'd consider selling it,as is, for 2,500, if I had to (but I don't).. 2k probably would be my bottom line.

Unless I was desperate, which does affect the price, I'd move on from negotiations with that buyer.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with pricing a P3C [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jw13 wrote:
Unless I was desperate, which does affect the price, I'd move on from negotiations with that buyer.

For sure. No matter what you sell, you're going to get someone testing the waters to see if you're desperate to get rid of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Etip wrote:

If it's in good condition and has the 3T or newer fork, and the size is in the middle range, then it will sell for $800+ on ebay with basic wheels. Don't know what your Zipps are worth. The Wolf fork might be a little cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with pricing a P3C [jw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s the nice thing about being in the situation where you like your stuff & you’re not desperate for cash you can hold onto stuff. Personally you know your bottom line for what you’d be willing to sell it for. Me I know I wouldn’t pay $2500 for a bike that’s almost 10 years old. It’s all about finding the right seller & buyer to make a unique deal like these happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It all depends on the specifics. What wheels? Is the groupset 10 or 11 speed? What bar?

The frame value I would say is about $400-600 depending on age, vintage , fork (wolf vs 3T) , and condition. Training wheels would typically 50-100 bucks in value.

If the groupset is 10 speed dura ace, unfortunately I dont think it's worth much. Probably $200-300.

Does it have a good saddle or bars? I'd say second hand saddles arent worth very much. So call it a wash. Good bars will retain much of their value.

All in I dont think $800-$1000 would be an unfair price to pay. I would err toward the lower end though.
Quote Reply
Re: Help with pricing a P3C [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey all,
Thanks for all the information.
I do have a Wolf fork, but otherwise the bike is very clean. Regardless, I'll drop the price a bit and also list the wheels separately.

Again, I appreciate all the insight.

E
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size is it?
Quote Reply
Re: Help with pricing a P3C [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
What size is it?
Hi, it is a 58cm P3