Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dave Grohl - "Play"
Quote | Reply
Is there anything he can't do?

Granted, by now everyone knows the first Foo Fighters recording was all him, but this is a different realm entirely

It's exhausting just to watch

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Grohl - "Play" [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And was even more exhausting to record. If you know Dave Grohl, then you know he’s big on analog recording. And this is a grueling example of it. Each track that was laid down for this song had to be done in one 23 minute long take. He said that the piano was the most difficult. Some of the tracks from whatbDave said took forever to get just right.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't have time to watch right now, but so looking forward to it later (watched first minute). Thanks.

Saw FF in concert last fall. Crappy auditorium seating 8-9 k and our seats weren't great. I wasn't too excited. But they sounded awesome. Played for nearly three hours. The band took a break at one point, but Dave stayed on by himself. They had a 5-10 minute break before encore set. But guess what, Dave was on camera back stage during that and we watched. He probably had one or two minutes before that camera came on to rest. (Audience as awesome too, in if for the whole show -- best audience I've ever seen.) If Grohl had gone into that sport discussed on the main page, he would have won the central pacific long triathlon many times. (Is that OK, BLeP?).

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Grohl - "Play" [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
And was even more exhausting to record. If you know Dave Grohl, then you know he’s big on analog recording. And this is a grueling example of it. Each track that was laid down for this song had to be done in one 23 minute long take. He said that the piano was the most difficult. Some of the tracks - from what Dave said - took forever to get just right.

I was thinking the only thing that would compare to the disappointment I felt with Lance, would be to find out Dave Grohl was using ProTools*

*OK, I think Butch Vig does but only for last minute clean-up .. not like he's copy & pasting best takes and stitching them together

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's exhausting just to watch

I hate to plagarize our host, Slowman, but, wow, just wow.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised he didn't go ahead and add some vocals to the project, just to get one more "instrument" into it.

Dude's a musical baller for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always thought that he is one of the few who always looks like he truly loves what he does.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Re: Dave Grohl - "Play" [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When they all followed themselves into the studio, I thought 'Oh this is gonna be good!'

If you watch carefully, there's a quick shot where he winks at himself

Quote Reply
Re: Dave Grohl - "Play" [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.theatlantic.com/...-dave-grohls/567206/

Quote:
For “Play” Grohl did insist on doing each instrument’s part in one unedited take—impressive—but the real novelty factor here is technological: You can go on the website and isolate footage of the keyboard, or bass, and so on, and you can follow along with the corresponding sheet music.

https://play.roswellfilms.com/

When he was on Fallon [or Kimmel, I forget?] Dave reminded us that he can't read music*, so he had to play each part from memory, listening to the drum track on the headphones

The sheet music on the website must've been transcribed afterwards

* who can, really? Oh, those super-smart LRers who actually studied; not chumps like me who just picked up an instrument to meet girls ... my bad

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet he can read tabliture.

When I used to play drums I remember once jamming with a super shy, nervous exchange student who couldn't speak English. None of us were particularly good at reading music. A few of us started playing and he joined us, tentatively at first. But a few knowing looks at each other, subtle facial cues, and all of a sudden you're feeling what he's feeling, seeing where he wants to go with the music, playing off each other and speaking the same musical language. That sort of connection always have me chills it was so awesome.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Dave Grohl - "Play" [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
I bet he can read tabliture.

He doesn't look Jewish

Ba-dum-DISS

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite was the if-Grohl-had-leadership-of-Nirvana where Nirvana songs were Autotuned to Grohl soft rock chord progressions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that Dave isn't talented or anything but look at the credits for the first few Lenny Kravitz albums. He played everything.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply