Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HEY Duffy and other surfers here(you won't believe this)
Quote | Reply
So here I have snuck off with the family for my last RV trip here in Jalama beach(Duffster land), and I got only one night as it is booked solid. Put the wife in line at 4am the next morning to be number 1 on the list that doesnt get made until 6;30am, but she was a trooper. So now we have up to 2 weeks here and it has been glassy all day with some little/medium surf.

So on the news I hear a high surf advisory, but of course it is some Baja hurricane that is being totally blocked by the point here, so today was just some more beach break out front with 20 minute sets that hit a little sand bar and make a decent wave. About 8 guys at the north reef where it is more consistent, but I just opt with my long board to get a few alone, the water is as warm as I have ever had it here, about 68 and I'm trunking it.

So this old man paddles out on what look like a skim board with a bunch of 4 inch foam glued onto the nose and different spots on the deck. And he has the nerve to paddle out where I'm sitting on my longboard and I think, what a kook, he is never going to get a wave on that thing this far out, he needs to be inside where it is almost breaking on the sand. I give a wave and he waves back.

In the next 30 minutes he gets about 3 set waves, just happens to be right over the bar where waves jack up before falling back down to reform inside. But somehow he gets that piece of shit into the wave and connects to the inside, where all I see is rooster tails firing like a bump stock is shooting them.Needless to say, dude could surf.

So I paddle of and I comment about the foam being a bit of extra flotation for that potato chip he was riding, and he says yes and begins to tell me all about what he was playing with. I mean, this was some crude shit, foam all pot marked and just open to the water, and glued all over this skim board. But shit, he was surfing circles around me, so I asked if he was a local and had all these little sand bars wired. He said no, but he did have a house in SB,, so I chuckled and said he was as local as you can be for this spot(no one lives here or within 30 minutes)

SO we spend a couple hours out there, looks like his wife/girlfriend is out there too on a boogie board, she is very dark and has what seems to me to be a French accent. After about an hour a kid paddles out(older teenage) and he rips some inside sections with the two of us. He surfs one more in and I swear he goes 100yds down the beach with a wave that goes 50, must have done some hell of a floater and connected the unconnectable. I catch one in that is pretty good, but very unremarkable compared to what he was doing with that skim board and turns out he had his towel and umbrella right next to mine. The kid came out and it looked to be his, definitely took after the wife, but surfed like his dad.

The entire time I kept thinking I know this guy from somewhere, but just could not place it. I talked to him for a couple hours while he and I surfed, but we never exchanged names. Just after he left it hit me, and it hit me hard. There is a guy camping next to me that is a big time surf dude in his late 30's, and I told him this story and asked him if I was crazy to think what I was thinking. (what are you all thinking right now)

It hit me like a ton of bricks, I just did a 2 hour solo surf session with Tom fucking CURREN!!!! (and his kid, that apparently is quite the ripper) My neighbor confirmed that he does have a house in SB, and I had recalled that he had moved to France at some point, probably because of this lady he was with. He was not camping here, just in for the day, said he had some friends he was going to stay at. I surfed two hours with TOM CURREN!!

Anyway waves were shit, but somehow guys like him make it look great, and he was a very cool, but kind of kooky guy. My neighbor also told me he had heard about him experimenting all the time with different stuff like that, so it 99% has to have been him out there..

Thats all, I dont care about the surf the rest of the week here, got my MTB and running shoes. But if I see that little bar start to go off again, I will be on it like a barnacle. I know long story here, but the real surfers here will appreciate how cool this session was for me. When I was growing up surfing this is the guy that was winning world championships and everyone looked up too. Then he left the limelight and became a soul surfer, and is still at it. I know this because he was out on this completely marginal day in the middle of nowhere, and he was stoked about his home made board..TOM CURREN!!!
Last edited by: monty: Aug 10, 18 21:20
Quote Reply
Re: HEY Duffy and other surfers here(you won't believe this) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great story. Not really a surfer, but I know who Tom Curren is.
Quote Reply
Re: HEY Duffy and other surfers here(you won't believe this) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The woman on the boogie is his wife, Maki.

She’s Brazilian.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: HEY Duffy and other surfers here(you won't believe this) [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would make sense, she definitely looked more Brazilian than French. I just went there because I thought I had heard he had moved to France at some point, so figured it was because he hooked up with a Frenchie. Kid looks very Brazilian too, other than his surfing seems like he. got mostly all his moms genes..

Surf report for Jalama today, more of the same, still waiting for the hurricane surge to wrap around the corner!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He was married to a French woman.

Has a daughter with her (rips).

Two boys with Maki (they rip).

Can’t make it up there today.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Phenomenal experience! Thanks for sharing Monty......great read!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn. I remember watching him and Joey Buran just destroy waves at the OP Pro circa 83, Buran doing slip slide 360s on 6'+ waves and Curren just smoothly dropping in smacking the lip hard snapping back hard and repeating. Epic day. The next year he and Occy went at it in the final just as classic.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: HEY Duffy and other surfers here(you won't believe this) [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starting to show a little of the hurricane swell here, really bending around the corner to get in here. Cancelled a trip with the inlaws, gonna keep booking nights here as long as I keep getting free firewood from all the campers leaving.

And maybe, just maybe, I will see that old dude on the skimboard again...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
So here I have snuck off with the family for my last RV trip here in Jalama beach(Duffster land), and I got only one night as it is booked solid. Put the wife in line at 4am the next morning to be number 1 on the list that doesnt get made until 6;30am, but she was a trooper. So now we have up to 2 weeks here and it has been glassy all day with some little/medium surf.

So on the news I hear a high surf advisory, but of course it is some Baja hurricane that is being totally blocked by the point here, so today was just some more beach break out front with 20 minute sets that hit a little sand bar and make a decent wave. About 8 guys at the north reef where it is more consistent, but I just opt with my long board to get a few alone, the water is as warm as I have ever had it here, about 68 and I'm trunking it.

So this old man paddles out on what look like a skim board with a bunch of 4 inch foam glued onto the nose and different spots on the deck. And he has the nerve to paddle out where I'm sitting on my longboard and I think, what a kook, he is never going to get a wave on that thing this far out, he needs to be inside where it is almost breaking on the sand. I give a wave and he waves back.

In the next 30 minutes he gets about 3 set waves, just happens to be right over the bar where waves jack up before falling back down to reform inside. But somehow he gets that piece of shit into the wave and connects to the inside, where all I see is rooster tails firing like a bump stock is shooting them.Needless to say, dude could surf.

So I paddle of and I comment about the foam being a bit of extra flotation for that potato chip he was riding, and he says yes and begins to tell me all about what he was playing with. I mean, this was some crude shit, foam all pot marked and just open to the water, and glued all over this skim board. But shit, he was surfing circles around me, so I asked if he was a local and had all these little sand bars wired. He said no, but he did have a house in SB,, so I chuckled and said he was as local as you can be for this spot(no one lives here or within 30 minutes)

SO we spend a couple hours out there, looks like his wife/girlfriend is out there too on a boogie board, she is very dark and has what seems to me to be a French accent. After about an hour a kid paddles out(older teenage) and he rips some inside sections with the two of us. He surfs one more in and I swear he goes 100yds down the beach with a wave that goes 50, must have done some hell of a floater and connected the unconnectable. I catch one in that is pretty good, but very unremarkable compared to what he was doing with that skim board and turns out he had his towel and umbrella right next to mine. The kid came out and it looked to be his, definitely took after the wife, but surfed like his dad.

The entire time I kept thinking I know this guy from somewhere, but just could not place it. I talked to him for a couple hours while he and I surfed, but we never exchanged names. Just after he left it hit me, and it hit me hard. There is a guy camping next to me that is a big time surf dude in his late 30's, and I told him this story and asked him if I was crazy to think what I was thinking. (what are you all thinking right now)

It hit me like a ton of bricks, I just did a 2 hour solo surf session with Tom fucking CURREN!!!! (and his kid, that apparently is quite the ripper) My neighbor confirmed that he does have a house in SB, and I had recalled that he had moved to France at some point, probably because of this lady he was with. He was not camping here, just in for the day, said he had some friends he was going to stay at. I surfed two hours with TOM CURREN!!

Anyway waves were shit, but somehow guys like him make it look great, and he was a very cool, but kind of kooky guy. My neighbor also told me he had heard about him experimenting all the time with different stuff like that, so it 99% has to have been him out there..

Thats all, I dont care about the surf the rest of the week here, got my MTB and running shoes. But if I see that little bar start to go off again, I will be on it like a barnacle. I know long story here, but the real surfers here will appreciate how cool this session was for me. When I was growing up surfing this is the guy that was winning world championships and everyone looked up too. Then he left the limelight and became a soul surfer, and is still at it. I know this because he was out on this completely marginal day in the middle of nowhere, and he was stoked about his home made board..TOM CURREN!!!

I don't know what the hell you just wrote but it's a pretty good read. Good luck with the surfing.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: HEY Duffy and other surfers here(you won't believe this) [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know what the hell you just wrote but it's a pretty good read. Good luck with the surfing. //

I know this is the lavender room and perhaps you are not really a triathlete, but you can also go back in your youth and think of someone that you really looked up to and perhaps even idolized. A sports person, musician, teacher, whoever. The 40 years later you are in the middle of no where and you find yourself camping next to Dave Scott, or Paula Newby Frasier, or insert early childhood hero. For me all the triathletes would just be a reunion, but running into the Kelly Slater of surfing before there was a Kelly Slater, that was really fun for me. And as I think of it, only having Kelly Slater making it a threesome would have made that 2 hours more magical.

Been surfing until my arms are toast and cannot do one more pushup on the board, so that is good news. My ribs are sore as hell too, always a break in period when you trunk it, water has been 71 the past couple days, almost unheard of in these parts. I expect the shore fisherman to start catching Yellowtail anytime now..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I know this is the lavender room and perhaps you are not really a triathlete, but you can also go back in your youth and think of someone that you really looked up to and perhaps even idolized. A sports person, musician, teacher, whoever. The 40 years later you are in the middle of no where and you find yourself camping next to Dave Scott, or Paula Newby Frasier, or insert early childhood hero. For me all the triathletes would just be a reunion, but running into the Kelly Slater of surfing before there was a Kelly Slater, that was really fun for me. And as I think of it, only having Kelly Slater making it a threesome would have made that 2 hours more magical.

Tom Curren now is a lot like Luke Skywalker in The Force Awakens = people have heard of him. he's known for doing some pretty incredible things - which may or may not have really happened - but no one has seen him for a while

I forget which movie it was [a Jack Johnson one I think] but there's a scene someplace where Curren and Slater are talking about when Kelly Slater was a grom in Florida, and Tom Curren would "babysit" him on the beach

I could be remembering that wrong

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Searching for Tom Curren" is still one of my favourite surf videos of all time. I still have the DVD of it somewhere, need to dig it up.

https://vimeo.com/26300820
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story. I've surfed with a few pros in socal over the years but never Curren.

I did meet Tom Curren and get his autograph in the early 90's. I was surfing at San Onofre until my friend broke his board. We ended up going to the Rip Curl surf shop in San Clemente on the way home where Tom happend to be there signing autographs. You would think there would be a long line when a 3 time world champ is in town to sign autographs, but the place was almost empty. He always was and probably will always be one of my favorite surfers. I think I still have the autographed poster somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Monty,

I’m working in Lompoc tomorrow and if all goes well I might be able to get an afternoon/evening session in. Hope you’re still there.

I’ll make some calls and see who else I get to go....

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: HEY Duffy and other surfers here(you won't believe this) [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are bugging out tomorrow, at a week the kids are hitting their limit(well I'm hitting it with them!!) But still some waves here for sure, water still 70, so you should definitely check it out tomorrow afternoon. That is when I have been surfing, when the Tide has been going out and the sets are actually breaking on the outside reef. In fact, going out now!!!

Monty
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/...80&v=YVrnM6mEH2E

Did it looks like it does at about 43 sec? I guess your surf wasn't as good. Or maybe at about 3:10 Btw are the lineups any less crowded in Cali than 20 years ago?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Last edited by: len: Aug 13, 18 15:09
Quote Reply
Re: HEY Duffy and other surfers here(you won't believe this) [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say that the lineups are a bit less crowded than 20 years ago, certainly less crowded than in the 1960's!! But of course there are a 1000 more known breaks now that guys surf, so there is that to take pressure off of most spots. But some places are just destined to be as crowded as there are places to park, or nowadays, ride in your motorized fat bike. Trestles looks like a bike shop on the beach now. But funny thing here is I haven't seen one fat bike riding out to T's. Guys are still hoofing the mile or so on the beach to get some tasty waves...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats, you got Jalama on the 1% days it was good/decent.

Was down at County Line/Zeros/Staircase/Leo/etc all last week. Was decent at very best. But no crowds + 70+ temp......living in MI I no longer follow El Nino forecasts, but its been a while since water felt this warm. Hoping for a good fall as in best shape in 20 years (core-wise) and forgot how much that makes everything else ez. Love it when you surf till you literally can't pop up & go into full body cramp while being tumbled.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I don't know what the hell you just wrote but it's a pretty good read. Good luck with the surfing. //

Been surfing until my arms are toast and cannot do one more pushup on the board, so that is good news. My ribs are sore as hell too, always a break in period when you trunk it, water has been 71 the past couple days, almost unheard of in these parts. I expect the shore fisherman to start catching Yellowtail anytime now..

I know what you meant by seeing someone who you looked up to as a kid. I just meant all the surfing lingo. For me it would be at a basketball camp and talking to an older guy about officiating and then learning later it was Ed Hightower. I think I would recognize him but not sure.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply