Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Derailleur issues outside vs trainer
Quote | Reply
Currently using Cycleops Hammer and my CAAD 10 roadie with a Shimano 5700RD. I just had the gears adjusted by one of the mechanics at the shop I work at. Rode home and everything was shifting fine.

Mount the bike onto the trainer and suddenly things aren't shifting properly. It's like the RD isn't properly aligned. I've got some skipping around the middle of the cassette and some noise coming from the rear. If I push in the right shifter slightly, before it actually shifts, it's like the RD aligns itself and the noise stops and the drivetrain runs quite smoothly. Release the shifter and it's back to that noise.

Anyone have this issue? I saw somebody on the Zwift forum say he used the Shimano 10sp spacer instead of the Cycleops one and it made a huge difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur issues outside vs trainer [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's normal. Derailleurs are aligned to specific wheels, not just in general. If the hubs are different in terms of width, then the shifting will be a bit off.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur issues outside vs trainer [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And if anybody has any tips on how to index shifting on a DD trainer I'm all ears! How do you all do it with a 120w wattage floor or whatever some turbos have? Get on and pedal, make trial and error adjustments? Get someone to help?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to cover all bases, I would put a Shimano 10-speed cassette with a Shimano 10-speed spacer on the trainer. In a perfect world, that should align the cassette as closely as possible. If it is still off, the nut is that your bike's hub is aligned slightly differently from the hub on the trainer. There is probably no fix, it just is what it is.

I have 11 speed Di2 stuff on my bike and a KICKR trainer that came with a SRAM cassette. I put a Shimano cassette on the trainer, and that perfected it. Though, the difference was very tiny (no skipping or big noise, just a little bit of extra drivetrain noise that the Shimano cassette eliminated.)
Quote Reply
Re: Derailleur issues outside vs trainer [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. If you ride in ERG mode, you can just find a gear that works reasonably well.
2. If you need to shift, use your in-line cable adjuster to make the small correction. Once you're running smooth in one gear, it should be good throughout the cassette. A couple turns and 10 seconds of your time. I doubt your limits will be too far off, so I wouldn't both with those unless you have problems.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Aug 10, 18 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.artscyclery.com/...rearderailleurs.html

Its not rock science like everyone seems to think. Watch the video, follow the directions, and assuming nothing is bent or assembled incorrectly you will all set.

The worst that can happen - You have to go back the LBS to undo what you did, but that is unlikely.

When you go back to your outside wheel do it again, only this time the worst that can happen is you over travel the chain into your back spokes. That is why I tell everyone to leave the dork disc right where it is. Vanity can be very expensive.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have to trim the derailleur when using a different wheel/cassette, almost no 2 are going to be spaced exactly the same unless you do some work to set them up that way with spacers ahead of time, which I recommend doing so that you dont have to trim each time you put on a new wheel or DD trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the tips everyone! I brought the bike back to work and had one of our guys look at it. Turns out I had the cable in the FD slightly out of position, so the tension was off. FD was also a little too high. Seems good going around the block. I'll try it out on the trainer tonight and hopefully it will work. RD also needed a tiny little adjustment that will hopefully get rid of the drivetrain noise.
Quote Reply