Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Welcome the 'hood, is that your black Jaguar that hit the neighbor's mailbox?
Quote | Reply
Neighbor down in the cul-de-sac shows up around dinner tonight to ask if we have a black Jaguar. She informs me it is now "resting" against her neighbor's mailbox. Turns out my genius son did not park it in gear or turn his wheels towards the curb, even though he was having issues with his parking brake. We had straight-line winds of 40-60 mph come through and probably got it rolling. Luckily, when it came to a stop, it didn't hit any other vehicles, did not snap the mailbox post, or ruin the flower bed around the mailbox, or blow the airbag upon impact. The neighbor and I had a good laugh about it - my son's car wasn't the first car to do this in the last several years.
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome the 'hood, is that your black Jaguar that hit the neighbor's mailbox? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome the 'hood, is that your black Jaguar that hit the neighbor's mailbox? [EndlessH2O] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
Neighbor down in the cul-de-sac shows up around dinner tonight to ask if we have a black Jaguar. She informs me it is now "resting" against her neighbor's mailbox. Turns out my genius son did not park it in gear or turn his wheels towards the curb, even though he was having issues with his parking brake. We had straight-line winds of 40-60 mph come through and probably got it rolling. Luckily, when it came to a stop, it didn't hit any other vehicles, did not snap the mailbox post, or ruin the flower bed around the mailbox, or blow the airbag upon impact. The neighbor and I had a good laugh about it - my son's car wasn't the first car to do this in the last several years.

The foolishness of youth. :-) Years ago I had a MG Midget that the emergency brake wasn't working. I parked it on a steep hill facing down the the hill and stuck it into first gear. As I was walking away it jumped out of gear and started rolling down hill. Fortunately the convertible top was down as I sprinted after it at full speed and was just barely able to jump over the door into the cock pit to slam on the brake. Lesson learned, always turn the wheels towards the curb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to recall a thread where the general consensus was that the OP should not buy his son a Jaguar because they tend to have issues of one sort or another. You should search that one out.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome the 'hood, is that your black Jaguar that hit the neighbor's mailbox? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
The foolishness of youth.

Not necessarily youth..

Yesterday morning I got an email forwarded to me by our office manager from our building management company. Apparently my car was causing a "dangerous parking situation" on the 2nd level of our garage and needed to be moved. I thought it had something to do with the spot I regularly use, which is 1.5-sized due to the way the lines are painted and a column being right in the middle of the next spot. Good for giving the next couple of cars in that row some extra room, and avoiding door dings.

Anyway, I headed down to the garage and when I got there, saw my car just sitting across the aisle, rear bumper resting against the opposite car's front bumper, completely blocking the aisle. Then I remembered I'd decided to move a little closer to the column after I'd initially pulled into the spot, but after I'd unbuckled my seat belt (unbuckling while stopped activates the parking brake, so I had to disengage the brake to move the car). Obviously forgot to re-engage it.

The maintenance guy that was there checked the other car with me for any damage and agreed there was nothing and we didnt need to notify the owner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When my wife was in her mid-20s she forgot to put the parking brake on while visiting her Dad's house. Car rolled about 50 feet across the lawn and off a low retaining wall, ending up in the vegetable garden. To this day my father-in-law asks my wife if she is sure she doesn't want "to park down bottom" when we visit him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Backdoor brag on the Jaguar?

Kidding...that said how old is your son? Not judging but I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near a sports car until they've had a few years with a tank to learn how the f to drive.

My story: I wasn't even that young (probably 25) but it was my first manual transmission car. Was out apartment hunting and parked on a quiet side street on a hill, walked to the apartment a block away. When I got back to where I parked my car was nowhere in sight...what the hell? Then I saw it, about 100' down the hill, resting against a stop sign. It put a small dent in my bumper and jostled the sign a bit but otherwise no damage and (most importantly) no one seemed to notice so I quickly got out of there. I realized after the fact that you should always have your car in gear, I always left it in neutral with the parking brake engaged...lesson learned.
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome the 'hood, is that your black Jaguar that hit the neighbor's mailbox? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:

Kidding...that said how old is your son? Not judging but I wouldn't let my kids anywhere near a sports car until they've had a few years with a tank to learn how the f to drive.

If I recall it was a Ford Jaguar. so hardly a sports car.
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome the 'hood, is that your black Jaguar that hit the neighbor's mailbox? [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:

My story: I wasn't even that young (probably 25) but it was my first manual transmission car. Was out apartment hunting and parked on a quiet side street on a hill, walked to the apartment a block away. When I got back to where I parked my car was nowhere in sight...what the hell? Then I saw it, about 100' down the hill, resting against a stop sign. It put a small dent in my bumper and jostled the sign a bit but otherwise no damage and (most importantly) no one seemed to notice so I quickly got out of there. I realized after the fact that you should always have your car in gear, I always left it in neutral with the parking brake engaged...lesson learned.

The Jag he has is nothing to brag about and would get stomped in a race by a Toyota Corolla.
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome the 'hood, is that your black Jaguar that hit the neighbor's mailbox? [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sister was leaving our house, forgot something so put the car in neutral, instead of park, and ran back into the house. Car rolled across the driveway and yard and got wedged between 2 huge boulders at the end of the property. She had a fun time explaining that one to my parents.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Until my mid 50's all I ever owned were standard shift cars and trucks. One time I rented a automatic Mustang, in the morning it wouldn't start. I called service and they came out to tell me that I had left it in drive when I came home the night before. Another time I left my wife's Infinity in drive an went for a run. Good thing that pole was there or it would have rolled into the river! I was able to get the smudge off of the bumper with toothpaste so it was no problem.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome the 'hood, is that your black Jaguar that hit the neighbor's mailbox? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Anyway, I headed down to the garage and when I got there, saw my car just sitting across the aisle, rear bumper resting against the opposite car's front bumper, completely blocking the aisle. Then I remembered I'd decided to move a little closer to the column after I'd initially pulled into the spot, but after I'd unbuckled my seat belt (unbuckling while stopped activates the parking brake, so I had to disengage the brake to move the car). Obviously forgot to re-engage it.

The maintenance guy that was there checked the other car with me for any damage and agreed there was nothing and we didnt need to notify the owner.

Best $50 you've ever spent.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Welcome the 'hood, is that your black Jaguar that hit the neighbor's mailbox? [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:

The Jag he has is nothing to brag about and would get stomped in a race by a Toyota Corolla.

My Prius would stomp my son's Jag! I might goes as far as to say the '05 Grand Caravan might give it a run too. Well, maybe not, but it would be close on a downhill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EndlessH2O wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:

My Prius would stomp my son's Jag! I might goes as far as to say the '05 Grand Caravan might give it a run too. Well, maybe not, but it would be close on a downhill.

My dad had a 1989 Jaguar XJ6 when I was a teen, he sold it right before I got my license. Cool looking car, but that thing was a gutless turd when it came to performance. Also a maintenance nightmare. He had to replace all four door handles twice! $300 each. Apparently the shiny hood ornament was too much for many to resist as well as it got ripped off the hood 3 times before he just had the body shop fill in the holes and not put a new one on.

Quote Reply