Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peptide injection for sunburn prevention?
Quote | Reply
I'm on vacation now. And, earlier today, I'm lathering on the reflective 50spf suncreen. To make a long story short, I get into a conversation with a guy who ends up telling me he got some kind of peptide injection about a week to 10 days before he got here. Supposedly it darkens him up a bit and makes him much less prone to sunburn. I'm sure he gave me a name for it beyond "peptide", but I forgot it.

Anyone know anything about this?
Last edited by: SH: Aug 9, 18 16:17
Quote Reply
Re: Peptide injection for sunburn prevention? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Google research says it’s used so you can tan more quickly. Doesn’t seem it provides any actual protection from the sun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is totally bullshit and the few versions of this I have seen have some solid cancer risk behind them.
Quote Reply
Re: Peptide injection for sunburn prevention? [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
This is totally bullshit and the few versions of this I have seen have some solid cancer risk behind them.

What do you mean it is bullshit?
Quote Reply
Re: Peptide injection for sunburn prevention? [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RBR wrote:
iamuwere wrote:

What do you mean it is bullshit?
An injection isn't going to stop UV rays from damaging DNA in your skin cells. It is total and utter bullshit. If something like that actually existed and it worked it'd be revolutionary and you'd see it everywhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you think of even sunscreen, as almost like ibuprofen, it can allow you to play longer when your body is telling you it hurts. Also think of the sun like going for a run and say you are conditioned for 3 miles but try to run 10. You are doing more than your body is prepared for. Clearly you skins darkens itself as a way to protect yourself. I have never heard of peptide injection to darken bu the mechanism at least sounds plausible. Fwiw, many moons ago TJ Tollakson turned me on to Astaxanthin which is a natural skin protector with some mild positive science, although I couldn't find that science now just checking again quickly, but it is also what gives say salmon their color. If you buy Salmon at Costco it might even say "injected with Astaxanthin". Anyway, it is a sold these days as a natural supplement made from algae that is ironically harvested in the Energy Lab in Kona itself for Bioastin. I do use it and I did have at least one GF tell me how smooth my skin in ;) - but like any supplement, without doing some sort of science on myself, I can't tell a difference day-to-day but also haven't gone off it since starting back in 2011.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No version of melanotan, skin darkening, pre-exposure, etc will prevent sunburn. If you understand what the 'tan' is, you'll understand why.
Quote Reply
Re: Peptide injection for sunburn prevention? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
If you think of even sunscreen, as almost like ibuprofen, it can allow you to play longer when your body is telling you it hurts.
I don't think that's the proper analogy - sunscreen actually blocks the rays from getting to the skin. That's not about dealing with damage (like ibuprofen), but preventing it.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Peptide injection for sunburn prevention? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the explanation that we used when we once got "base tans" to prevent sunburn. What dermatologists have learned, I understand, is that while a severe sunburn is a sign of a lot of sun damage and increases risk of skin cancer, there is no safe amount of sun exposure and no way to get it without risk. A barrier to UV radiation, such as clothing or a quality sunscreen limit exposure when used properly, and in reality really are great options.

But the idea that darkening your skin protects you is only half correct. It actually does protect you from sunburn, but it does not protect you from UV radiation, and accumulation of UV radiation is what destroys your skin and leads to skin cancer. You can be beautifully tanned and show no signs of sunburn ever, and that's a perfect setup for radiation accumulation leading to cancer. Tan does not equal protected from UV damage, as I understand it today.

Now what we'll know in 20 years is anyone's guess. We were certain low-fat and carb-centric diets were smart at one point.
Quote Reply
Re: Peptide injection for sunburn prevention? [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
No version of melanotan, skin darkening, pre-exposure, etc will prevent sunburn. If you understand what the 'tan' is, you'll understand why.

Depends on how you pose the question.

For a given dose of sun exposure, some people are far more likely to get a sunburn than others. And skin color is a significant factor in that.
Quote Reply
Re: Peptide injection for sunburn prevention? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
If you think of even sunscreen, as almost like ibuprofen, it can allow you to play longer when your body is telling you it hurts.
I don't think that's the proper analogy - sunscreen actually blocks the rays from getting to the skin. That's not about dealing with damage (like ibuprofen), but preventing it.

It's not just a bad analogy. It's flat out incorrect as you stated. And has nothing to do with the original post.
Quote Reply
Re: Peptide injection for sunburn prevention? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Thorax wrote:

Depends on how you pose the question.

For a given dose of sun exposure, some people are far more likely to get a sunburn than others. And skin color is a significant factor in that.
Yes, skin color is factor. But skin color is not the same as the "color" you get from sun exposure, which is actually (mostly) oxidation of melanin from UVA damage. Even melanogenesis from UVB carries only a SPF of 3.
Regardless - relying on melanotan for sunburn protection is a sure way to get a sunburn with a side of increased risk of cancer.
Quote Reply
Re: Peptide injection for sunburn prevention? [Derekl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Derekl wrote:
jt10000 wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

It's not just a bad analogy. It's flat out incorrect as you stated. And has nothing to do with the original post.

So what you are saying is sunscreen doesn't allow you be out in the sun longer than you otherwise would be out in the sun? Because that is why I wrote what I wrote and use the phrase "almost like". I think you may be reading my statement in a different context with a different knowledge base that may be incompatible with my own up bringing as a Wisconsin-boy who vacationed in Florida/Cali as a kid over winter/spring break. Maybe you never had the experience of applying sunscreen and being outside somewhere and feeling some tension in your skin (not a burn yet) and reapplying sunscreen only to realize that what you needed at that point (of the tension) was to get out of the sun and NOT apply more sunscreen thinking it was going to save you. Similar to Ibuprofen, I can take ibuprofen to mask the pain but doesn't mean the damage hasn't already been done, if you need the Ibuprofen to perform then maybe the best thing to do is not go out and try at all and just rest. I am guessing this is not the context you thought of my response in though because to me those two are some what similar/analogous.

But yes, I was framing my response based where I thought the users own beliefs were (based on the context we have) and suggesting before peptides, maybe just try something a little less invasive and costly, with some science in the + direction. And for the record, when you say "It's flat out incorrect as you stated." I take that as referring to JT1000 as that is who you are technically responding to. The proper way to say that would be to say: "It's not just a bad analogy. It's flat out incorrect the way he stated it (you is flat out incorrect)."

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply