Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One...
Quote | Reply
A trillion-dollar budget deficit looms, but you'd never know it by how happy the government is to spend money and how equally happy politicians on both sides of the aisle are to give it away to their constituents. Nothing like some good old-fashioned vote buying on the part of all those incumbents, right? Those little pigs are bringing the bacon home in fine style.

I was the supply department head at a mid-sized Navy hospital back in the day and had to obligate more than $4 million in funds the last month of the fiscal year after a "money dump" (one similar to this event) occurred. I put my civilian purchasing clerks on overtime the last four weeks and we began spend, spend, spending so as not to see any of that money go back to the government. Got it all obligated at a 99.58% rate, too. Had to hit at least 98% or the skipper would've been PO'd at me. Now, imagine that to about the 20th power and this is what we're going to be looking at the remainder of this FY.

"A government spending spree of potentially historic proportions will play out over the final seven weeks of fiscal 2018, as federal agencies look to spend $140 billion more than they thought they’d get before Congress passed and President Trump signed the omnibus spending bill.

Without a budget agreement in place, agencies spent cautiously through the first two quarters of fiscal 2018 before the omnibus—signed six months late in March—obligated an additional $80 billion for defense and $63 billion for civilian agencies.

Federal agencies, now flush with cash, must obligate that money before the fiscal year ends on Sept. 30 or lose it to the Treasury Department. Analysts believe the federal market will see a monumental effort among procurement officials to spend as much on contracts as possible.

“If agencies are going to spend the extra money in fiscal 2018, it’s going to have to be at a much higher percentage in the fourth quarter than it has been historically,” David Berteau, president of the Professional Services Council, told Nextgov.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"A government spending spree of potentially historic proportions will play out over the final seven weeks of fiscal 2018, as federal agencies look to spend $140 billion more than they thought they’d get before Congress passed and President Trump signed the omnibus spending bill.

Those damn Democrats are at it again, spend, spend, spend. Just wait until the Republicans take control of the House and Senate and spending will come under control...oops.

Never mind, just move right along now.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To Bk's credit, he carefully avoided blaming one side of the aisle.

This could be the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius!!

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:

This could be the Dawning of the Age of Aquarius!!

Right, he gave equal billing to a party that does not control any branches of government. He hates both sides equally.;-)

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
... politicians on both sides of the aisle

He... just... couldn't.... resist....
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
... politicians on both sides of the aisle

He... just... couldn't.... resist....

Because they're both at fault, including that guy in the White House. I don't see leaders from either party who got in the way of that fiscal train wreck, do you? And none, as far as I can tell (with some very isolated folks being an exception, not the rule) are out there screaming about the spending orgy to come. And why would they? They're great at spending money, but they SUCK at saving it and at putting us on a sound financial footing. Because where's the fun and prestige and power to be gained in any of that?

All of them need to go. Bring in a new set of liars, crooks and thieves and then get rid of them, too, until the message sinks in.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Aug 10, 18 5:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
All of them need to go. Bring in a new set of liars, crooks and thieves and then get rid of them, too, until the message sinks in.

Great in theory. Terrible in practice. Just doesn't work that way. Certainly not with 2 parties having total control of electability. You follow their lead (vote the way they tell you) or you do not get their support to get re-elected.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Trump is draining the swamp!

MAGA!!!

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the over/under that the Gov't orders $250M worth of Ivanka signature hats and shoes for the Space Force to use as uniforms?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Great in theory. Terrible in practice. Just doesn't work that way. Certainly not with 2 parties having total control of electability. You follow their lead (vote the way they tell you) or you do not get their support to get re-elected.

You're mistaking my own set of intentions in all this. I want the system (the two-party system) to crash and burn. I don't particularly care what takes its place, either, as long as something else takes its place.

We'll figure it out, is what I think. We're pretty smart when it comes to that, and we'll most likely handle it peacefully, through the ballot box. But maybe it'll take another civil war. Who's to say? Some pretty smart folks think a second civil war is already brewing right now, in fact.

Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

He didn't really but he is right in the sense that both parties spend like it's out of control.

The difference of course is that for the entire length of Obama's term, the biggest issue for the Republicans was the out of control spending. Here are some quotes during that term;

McConnell said on CBS. “We don’t control the entire government, we control the House of Representatives only. We’d like to do something about the nation’s biggest problem, spending and debt, which of course is the reason for this economic malais."

That of course was when the GOP controlled the House only and, the economy was gaining a lot of strength.

McConnel then added,

“If we don’t begin to deal with our debt and deficit in a serious way, we’re not going to have many options. I’m not going to apologize for leading. The real issue here is, will the president lead?”

Now, that they control the House and Senate, they are doing the exact same thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem is most people aren't fiscally responsible, so why would anyone expect elected officials to be.

It's wildly abnormal to live debt free. So I wouldn't expect the people to vote for less debt. Now we have the king of debt for a leader, and it's a perfect reflection of the population.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
The problem is most people aren't fiscally responsible, so why would anyone expect elected officials to be.

It's wildly abnormal to live debt free. So I wouldn't expect the people to vote for less debt. Now we have the king of debt for a leader, and it's a perfect reflection of the population.

Then color me "Wildly Abnormal" and happy to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

I didn't say it was bad. It's just something out of the ordinary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:

Federal agencies, now flush with cash, must obligate that money before the fiscal year ends on Sept. 30 or lose it to the Treasury Department.
Analysts believe the federal market will see a monumental effort among procurement officials to spend as much on contracts as possible.

“If agencies are going to spend the extra money in fiscal 2018, it’s going to have to be at a much higher percentage in the fourth quarter than it has been historically,” David Berteau, president of the Professional Services Council, told Nextgov.

The bolded cracks me up (and by 'cracks me up' I mean drives me fucking mad)...flush with cash...that isn't offset by revenue.

I don't know when the reckoning will happen, or how it'll play out, or even what it will mean to the economy or our kids' (their kids, grandkids?) futures but I'm fairly certain that at some point this crazy government deficit spending machine will cause things to crash in a nightmarish way. I know people have likened our rise to power and current economic standing to the Roman empire and its collapse, I haven't studied it enough to have any real understanding of the similarities or what it may portend for us but it all looks like a heaping mess that we're growing further and further away from being able to crawl out of.

EDIT to add: anyone making this a partisan thing is an idiot, R and D are equally to blame, they just have their own pet causes but it all amounts to federal government largess. The main thrust of my argument has always been that we have to limit the size of the federal government because it continues to expand in power and control, anyone who believes things like health care or education should be in the hands of the federal government is not following along, or at least doesn't seem to care about this massive monetary issue. THAT is why I tend to vote 'conservative', at least those idiots aren't trying to socialize education and health care.
Last edited by: Brownie28: Aug 10, 18 8:09
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess we are wildly abnormal as well.

FishyJoe wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:

FishyJoe wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Debt isn't a bad thing, in fact in an inflationary economy with low enough interest rates and - especially - with tax credits offsetting some of the cost ala mortgage interest deduction - debt can actually be a very good thing that frees up cash for better uses. I'd argue that with a 3.5% mortgage and the interest deduction you'd be crazy to chip away at a mortgage in lieu of investing that money for retirement, 529, etc. Government debt isn't a bad thing necessarily either, especially because the treasury controls the money supply so can manipulate how that debt is serviced.

I do agree, however, that too many people don't understand economics enough to appreciate what debt means and the good and bad of debt obligations. debt to GDP is an important metric and I can't imagine more than 10% of the population understands what it measures or has even a ballpark idea where we're at (over 100, and have been since the start of Obama's second term...with the economy rebounding and at near full capacity it's scary that we're over 100)
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THAT is why I tend to vote 'conservative', at least those idiots aren't trying to socialize education and health care.

That's what I'd love to find in Canada. We have 3 parties and none will decrease spending.

In the U.S., which party is the "conservative" one that will reign in spending? Not talk about it, or have it as a policy, but when in power, actually decrease spending?

Last edited by: Sanuk: Aug 10, 18 8:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
THAT is why I tend to vote 'conservative', at least those idiots aren't trying to socialize education and health care.

That's what I'd love to find in Canada. We have 3 parties and none will decrease spending.

In the U.S., which party is the "conservative" one that will reign in spending? Not talk about it, or have it as a policy, but when in power, actually decrease spending?

TEA Party? For a time they held Congress's feet to the fire and actually forced some government cutbacks. Granted it led to the sequestration bullshit but that's apparently what is needed to actually get Congress to reduce any kind of spending. They also proposed all kinds of reviews on agency redundancies and the like but nothing goes anywhere, ever.

Responsible cutbacks though, from either of these parties? Ain't happening, you don't get to the federal level without selling your soul to someone and playing ball with Washington bureaucrats, the beats goes on in perpetuity, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:

Define "debt free". I owe $130,000 on my mortgage but I could sell my house for over double what I paid for it.

So I guess I am in debt but it's certainly not something I worry about. We'll have this paid off in 10-15 years and be in the clear.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Massive Government Spending Spree in Three, Two, One... [travelgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travelgirl wrote:

FishyJoe wrote:
Harbinger wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Color us Abby normal also.

Had to throw in a young Frankenstein reference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fun times equivocating. I'd like to bring attention to this, though:

One side promises raise taxes to spend, then spends. Other side promises to cut taxes back, then spends money it doesn't put in the treasury. Who's bad at math here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

He didn't really but he is right in the sense that both parties spend like it's out of control.

The difference of course is that for the entire length of Obama's term, the biggest issue for the Republicans was the out of control spending. Here are some quotes during that term;

McConnell said on CBS. “We don’t control the entire government, we control the House of Representatives only. We’d like to do something about the nation’s biggest problem, spending and debt, which of course is the reason for this economic malais."

That of course was when the GOP controlled the House only and, the economy was gaining a lot of strength.

McConnel then added,

“If we don’t begin to deal with our debt and deficit in a serious way, we’re not going to have many options. I’m not going to apologize for leading. The real issue here is, will the president lead?”

Now, that they control the House and Senate, they are doing the exact same thing.

1. Don't put words in my mouth, please. I have no use for Republicans and definitely none for Democrats.

2. They're all pigs, feeding at the Uniparty's trough. They just toss out some boob bait on occasion for the benefit of the bubbas that inhabit both parties.

ALL of them need to go. Even the best of them are attainted by their association with the others.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Aug 10, 18 13:47
Quote Reply