Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:

Ego. He doesn't take well to critics. He's repeatedly said something along the lines of "lets crush the shorts and the haters" in memos to his employees.

There are legitimate business reasons. Undermining trust in a company (which is how some short sellers achieve their goals) can affect the cost of short-term borrowing (revolving accounts that most companies have) and reduce the amount of capital that can be acquired through new stock offerings.
Quote Reply
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
tri_yoda wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:
SpaceX is the real deal. It's so far ahead of the competition, it still blows me away.

Which is exactly why Musk won't let you invest in it......

This goes along with my original thought, when SpaceX launches a rocket Tesla stock goers up. It's like Tesla stock is Elon Musk stock. And I'm not knocking it. If it comes back down to 200, I'll probably buy it again if things look good to me. It was a lot of fun to own and it did very good for me.

Right from the beginning, I always thought that Tesla would eventually be taken over by one of the major manufacturers, probably Mercedes. It would make much more sense as a mainstream European car, than a boutique American car.

Tell me why you think Tesla stock is worth $200 and Ford stock is worth $10...

"Ford stock opened on Aug. 16 trading at $9.50 per share. By way of perspective, the Ford market cap is now $37.5 billion, just 65% of Tesla’s (NASDAQ:TSLA) $57-billion market cap.

That’s $37.5 billion for a company whose quarterly sales in June were $38.9 billion. Ford made a profit of $1.06 billion on those sales, enough to pay the 15-cent-per-share dividend with room to spare. Tesla lost almost as much money as Ford made, $742 million, on just 10% of Ford’s revenues, $4 billion."

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
''Tell me why you think Tesla stock is worth $200 and Ford is worth $10... ''

I don't think it's worth 200, but someone always does. They've always lost money, now they are just draining it. But Elon will come out and say something like ''I've got the cure for hemroids'' and the stock will go backup.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tell me why you think Tesla stock is worth $200 and Ford stock is worth $10... //

I think you know this is a silly comparison, using market caps it is more like ford at 10 and Tesla at 16. But the outrageousness of stock price comparisons per share are more sensational, I get it.

The writing is on the wall for car companies and the future of how we all travel. Even if nothing changed from today, ride sharing would probably cut 50% of the autos needed on the road. But of Course technology does not stop, and a lot of future thinking people see that in the not so distance future, we may need 90% less cars than today. And what do you think that remaining 10% of cars is going to look like? A ford 150 truck( best selling vehicle for like 40 years now?) or a Tesla? Of course no one knows for sure, any company alive today or yet to be, could invent a battery that goes a 1000 miles with a 15 minute charge and take over the world transportation industry. But barring that, Tesla is in a good position to be there when the change happens, that is the bet going on right now in the stock market.

This same bet was placed a long time ago on Amazon, and those betters have had more winning that Trump. And likely even more winning in the future, but no one gets to rest on their laurels these days, just ask Yahoo how that went....
Quote Reply
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Ford is making a big mistake by giving out profits now. They seem to be far behind other companies, not just Tesla, in electric car technology. Instead of giving the money to shareholders today, they should be investing in R&D and infrastructure. This is why Tesla is losing money, they are investing in new technology and assets.
Quote Reply
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
I think Ford is making a big mistake by giving out profits now. They seem to be far behind other companies, not just Tesla, in electric car technology. Instead of giving the money to shareholders today, they should be investing in R&D and infrastructure. This is why Tesla is losing money, they are investing in new technology and assets.

Yeah, I agree. Their plan of build as many F150s as possible right now and little else doesn't seem to have a ton of foresight.
Quote Reply
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Their plan of build as many F150s as possible right now and little else doesn't seem to have a ton of foresight.

"Ford Motor Co (F.N) will significantly increase its planned investments in electric vehicles to $11 billion by 2022 and have 40 hybrid and fully electric vehicles in its model
lineup"
"Ford’s engineering, research and development expenses for 2016, the last full year available, were $7.3 billion, up from $6.7 billion in 2015.
Ford Chief Executive Jim Hackett told investors in October the automaker would slash $14 billion in costs over the next five years and shift capital investment away from sedans and internal combustion engines to develop more trucks and electric and hybrid cars.
Of the 40 electrified vehicles Ford plans for its global lineup by 2022, 16 will be fully electric and the rest will be plug-in hybrids, executives said"
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autoshow-detroit-ford-motor/ford-plans-11-billion-investment-40-electrified-vehicles-by-2022-idUSKBN1F30YZ
Maybe they are just waiting for the always expanding, new technological advancements to come out, before they try to sell a EV so they can make a profit.
Quote Reply
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
Maybe they are just waiting for the always expanding, new technological advancements to come out, before they try to sell a EV so they can make a profit.

It's possible. If you think that's the case then you should maybe you should invest in Ford.

The defense industry had crazy money and resources to spend on rocket development. They had guaranteed contracts making them billions of dollars to create a new rocket. They had decades of experience in space technology. But they lacked the focus to make a world beater and SpaceX blew them out of the water.

Even now, the government is pumping tons of money into the defense contractors and they are still getting beaten badly.
Quote Reply
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
getcereal wrote:

It's possible. If you think that's the case then you should maybe you should invest in Ford.

The defense industry had crazy money and resources to spend on rocket development. They had guaranteed contracts making them billions of dollars to create a new rocket. They had decades of experience in space technology. But they lacked the focus to make a world beater and SpaceX blew them out of the water.

Even now, the government is pumping tons of money into the defense contractors and they are still getting beaten badly.

I agree. This is typically the norm. Government run programs are by their nature always less efficient and slower to success.
There are 3 things that make you a better business and this includes developing rockets. If you can at least nail one of them you are off to a good start. If you nail all 3 you will dominate.
Better, faster, or cheaper Space X is doing all 3.

Government programs to many times reward, waste, huge bureaucracies, high spending and inefficiency.
Quote Reply
Re: If Elon Musk really wanted to buy back the stock............... [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:

Yeah, and they're saying some of the right things since the board freaked out and dumped the old CEO last year partly for lack of investment in new technology.

But waiting has risks. Telsa, GM, BMW, and Toyota are all on their 2nd and 3rd generation of hybrids and EVs. The Focus EV was a bit of dog, and they'll soon have nothing.

It's a risk to just announce that you'll come out with a competitive 4th-generation EV or autonomous car in like 2020-2022 when you have no interim products to get there. A bit hopey-changey.
Quote Reply

Prev Next