Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Off road riders: Which foot forward?
Quote | Reply
When you are descending with level pedals on an MTB (or even a CX bike) which foot do you have forward? I'm left handed and I ride exclusively with my right foot forward. I've tried switching it up but I literally feel as if I'm going to fly off my bike. Is anyone able to switch feet at will?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Off road riders: Which foot forward? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The good MTB riders (i.e, Elites) seem to have enough practice to be able to ride with either foot forward. Most of us, though, have a preferred foot - you can usually tell by the chips on the crankarm. I ride right-foot-forward and consequently, the side of the arms that faces down in that stance is completely scarred, while the other side of the crank is pristine.

It is, however, good practice to every once in a while try the other foot, if only because you might find yourself in a surprise situation and unable to switch.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you were in your socks, ran and then slid to a stop on a hardwood floor, which foot would you have forward? It's probably the same one that you'd put forward on your MTB.

Just like it would be the same foot you'd have forward on a skateboard or a snowboard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When turning, I put forward the foot opposite to the turn direction. So if turning left, my right foot forward, turning right, left foot forward. When riding in a straight line, I alternate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left foot forward

Also - right-handed, ride snowboards goofy, bat right, shoot a hockey stick left, and shoot right handed bows, if you were interested.
Quote Reply
Re: Off road riders: Which foot forward? [Sim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sim wrote:
Left foot forward

Also - right-handed, ride snowboards goofy, bat right, shoot a hockey stick left, and shoot right handed bows, if you were interested.

I'm similar. Left foot forward, goofy wakeboard, bat right, hockey left and shoot guns left handed.

Part of it is being left eye dominant and part of it has to do with my dad being left handed. There I things I learned left handed from him.
Quote Reply
Re: Off road riders: Which foot forward? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to be left-handed as a kid, but somehow switched halfway through elementary school (moved to Germany, had to learn LTR writing which probably influenced it). Can't switch back now, but certain things - bike control, for one - are still left-hand dominant. Maybe that's why I ride right-foot-forward on the MTB?

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That makes a few of us...but I do right foot forward.

Right handed, snowboard goofy, shoot hockey stick left, bat right, shoot guns right, but I'm left side dominant when playing soccer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both. You want to be able to switch.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Off road riders: Which foot forward? [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on if it is a left or right bender.

If it will bend left, right foot forward.

Why? I won't have to go 270deg of crank rotation to have the proper pedal down and proper pedal up during a corner. I only have to go 90 degrees.

If it is dead straight, meh, either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really do any mtb but I'm definitely right foot forward when descending on road bike. For me it's the natural position when starting to pedal.

For me I feel it's influenced by a few factors:
  • My "neutral position" of starting to pedal is with my right foot, (influenced both by being right-handed/footed and by living in a country that drives on the left side of the road).
  • I used to do a lot of cycle commuting doing track-stands at traffic lights. This further reinforces my right-foot forward initial pedal stroke due to the road camber dictating which way you turn the front wheel and hence foot position.

FWIW, bat right-handed, hockey right-handed (though in hockey, as opposed to ice hockey, everyone must play right-handed), skateboard natural-footed, right-eye dominant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

Well, yeah, I WANT to be able to do both...But I want a lot of stuff...

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just gotta' get yerself down to the Marymoor practices more :)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

X2. Gotta practice it. Start with a small log over and lead into it with the opposite leg. If you downhill wit the same leg forward all the time you’ll always have more weight on one of them. And that’ll be he leg that cramps first in a race or a long hot ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Off road riders: Which foot forward? [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You put whatever foot forward when going straight but I always put whatever foot forward to turn my hips in the direction of the turn.

So if the trail turns right, put your left foot forward to angle your hips right more easily. Not sure if that is dogma but it works for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
Sim wrote:
Left foot forward

I'm similar. Left foot forward, goofy wakeboard, bat right, hockey left and shoot guns left handed.

Part of it is being left eye dominant and part of it has to do with my dad being left handed. There I things I learned left handed from him.

Strange! Right foot forward, left handed, goofy snowboard, bat left, shoot gun right (right-eye dominant). On second thought, maybe I'm weird.

USA Triathlon Level 2 Coach
Slowtwitch Master Coach
Head Coach, TriCoach Colorado, LLC
Quote Reply
Re: Off road riders: Which foot forward? [coachjustin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right handed, goofy snowboard, bat right, hockey right, shoot right, push off the diving block left, speed skate start left.

MTB right or left forward, depends on the terrain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Left foot forward so that you shield your rear derailleur from wind turbulence

If you can touch your wheel with your foot clipped in it will be important to make sure that your right foot is forward when turning right and vise versa. (I don't really ride a lot of super technical stuff so this isn't an issue for me... it is whatever feels natural in any given moment.)

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

THIS.

I generally default to L foot forward (same for snowboard, skateboard, etc), but I often purposely switch it up, just for variety's sake, and to know that I can do so and feel comfortable if the shit hits the fan and I'm "forced" to have to do that for whatever reason.

Since, unlike the snow or skate boards, you're facing forward (hopefully!), it shouldn't really matter all that much.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply