Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jarvis Landry's Speech to Brown's Receivers
Quote | Reply
This seems like more heart then has been in the Brown's locker room in a while.

Is it enough to change the culture of the team? Bless 'em.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Jarvis Landry's Speech to Brown's Receivers [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um, ok.

That's the motivational speech he is going with? He might want to rethink it a little.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to see his college education is paying off.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Jarvis Landry's Speech to Brown's Receivers [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I mean he swore a lot, but good for him. The Browns have been GARBAGE for a long time and I can't imagine the locker room culture reflects a winning approach. Landry is an accomplished NFL receiver so deserves the respect of the other receivers in the room.

Good for him, he's doing what he can to get a message across and change up the losing culture in Cleveland. It's not gonna work, because their ownership is awful and it's a top-down league and they really don't have any talent, but at least he's trying.
Quote Reply
Re: Jarvis Landry's Speech to Brown's Receivers [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not going to work regardless of the competence of ownership. People, regardless of their upbringing, are going to tune out when spoken to like that. I work in cybersecurity, if an industry leader such as John Strand spoke to a group of us that way we'd laugh him out of the room and lose all respect we may have had for him. In my former life I spent 22 years in the Marine Corps where that kind of language is common place, yet if trying to motivate a group of Marines, that type of speech would also get yourself laughed out of the room and lost respect.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
Um, ok.

That's the motivational speech he is going with? He might want to rethink it a little.

Maybe maybe not. Depends who he’s talking to. At least in hockey when I played the last thing you wanted other people to think is you’re a soft pansy. If you got called out for it especially from a teammate you would take it up a level or for the Browns about 16.

It reminds me of this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4bEd-vYHo

It needs to be the right person, but yeah being pissed off because you were called out yeah it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Jarvis Landry's Speech to Brown's Receivers [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
It's not going to work regardless of the competence of ownership. People, regardless of their upbringing, are going to tune out when spoken to like that. I work in cybersecurity, if an industry leader such as John Strand spoke to a group of us that way we'd laugh him out of the room and lose all respect we may have had for him. In my former life I spent 22 years in the Marine Corps where that kind of language is common place, yet if trying to motivate a group of Marines, that type of speech would also get yourself laughed out of the room and lost respect.

Ignore the word "fuck" - does his underlying message have any impact on his team?

I've heard Marines- and myself on occasion- use the word "fuck" in every possible grammatical fashion and manner, and likely have his teammates. It stops having any more impact than an "um" after a point and likely neither positively or negatively impacts his message to his audience. I was more focused what seemed to be an emotional statement of dedication and desire to a team that has seeming lacked that and sucked worse than any other in recent history.

So does his emotion or heart or dedication and, perhaps, his leadership translate into improvement for the Browns?

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Jarvis Landry's Speech to Brown's Receivers [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Nova wrote:
Um, ok.

Maybe maybe not. Depends who he’s talking to. At least in hockey when I played the last thing you wanted other people to think is you’re a soft pansy. If you got called out for it especially from a teammate you would take it up a level or for the Browns about 16.

It reminds me of this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6J4bEd-vYHo

It needs to be the right person, but yeah being pissed off because you were called out yeah it works.

He really doesn't say anything during the whole tirade except that they should go out and practice. He must be talking to the walking wounded, why else would he be so stuck on injuries and practice?

If guys won't practice, I can't see that motivating them.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said you can’t, I can. There are “injuries” and there are injuries. If he thinks people are being pansies because they don’t have real injuries and he’s calling them out for it, it can be motivating.

It’s irrelevant if you don’t think it’s motivating, to the right person it is. Most guys who are athletes in full contact sports don’t like getting called out for being a pansy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He’s just keeping it real, bro. I don’t know if it will work, but I’m guessing he has a much better idea how to motivate his stable of NFL receivers than anyone in the LR.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the speech would be more powerful if Landry had ever won anything in his career. Sure the Dolphins were better then the Browns but not by much.

I find it hilarious that the other posters talk about his language and education. He’s a football player I’m not expecting him to wow me with his intellect and smooth public speaking ability.

I bet the speech got thru to the guys in the room, football players are looking for a leader and he is now the leader. Probably won’t help the Browns much.
Quote Reply
Re: Jarvis Landry's Speech to Brown's Receivers [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
He’s just keeping it real, bro. I don’t know if it will work, but I’m guessing he has a much better idea how to motivate his stable of NFL receivers than anyone in the LR.

I just love the meathead football coaching mentality. These are grown fucking men being talked to like they are dip shit high schoolers. But like you said maybe that's the level of maturity in the NFL.
Quote Reply
Re: Jarvis Landry's Speech to Brown's Receivers [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:

No disrespect to cyber security but I think making any type of comparison between that and the NFL is absurd. It’s all about cultural relevance and the NFL is about a culture of hard men and machismo.

Now fucking go write some fucking code to protect our Facebook accounts from being hacked you fucking little bitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Jarvis Landry's Speech to Brown's Receivers [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Like I said you can’t, I can. There are “injuries” and there are injuries. If he thinks people are being pansies because they don’t have real injuries and he’s calling them out for it, it can be motivating.

It’s irrelevant if you don’t think it’s motivating, to the right person it is. Most guys who are athletes in full contact sports don’t like getting called out for being a pansy.

I played college football and you'd be amassed how soft people would get as training camp went on, or when it was time for conditioning. All of sudden people had pulled muscle and needed to see the trainer instead of running.
Quote Reply