Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you are that stupid...
Quote | Reply
...then maybe you shouldn't get your car back.

https://www.nj.com/...pricey_vehicles.html

(I live in Holmdel)
Quote:
They're charged with stealing the following cars in July, all which had their key fob left inside the vehicle, were parked in the driveway. They were all later recovered in Newark.
- a 2017 Bentley Continental from Monmouth Beach, on July 11
- a 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio from Moorestown, on July 16
- a 2015 Land Rover Evoque from Warren, on July 17
- a 2018 Audi Q5 from Hillsdale, on July 19
- a 2017 Mercedes Benz C300 from Holmdel, on July 24
- a 2016 Land Rover Range Rover from Holmdel, on July 24
- a 2018 Audi from Holmdel, on July 24
- a 2018 Ford F150 from Holmdel, on July 24
The Bentley Continental typically sells for just under $200,000.
In all, the eight vehicles are worth about $500,000, according to Assistant Prosecutor Joseph A. Giordano, who is handling the case.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow the F150 is crazy since they are designed so you can leave the keys in them and lock with a button and unlock with a keypad...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a recent pair of thieves clear out multiple cars in and around our neighborhood over last Saturday night. One person posted their security camera video on our neighborhood google group showing their 'CAR BREAK-IN!!!". I had to suppress my smart-ass side and not respond back: Actually, he didn't BREAK-IN to your car, he just opened the door and took what he wanted, no BREAKING necessary.
Sometimes you forget, but if it's your regular routine to not lock your doors then what do you expect. But leaving the key fob in the car, whole other level of stupid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We get a few of these around the Milwaukee area every winter. Person does not have a remote starter. Person goes out to car. Turns on car to warm it up and/or defrost the windshield. Person goes back into house. Car is driven away by thief. I think it is ridiculous, careless, and naive, but, I can understand why the key is in the car. Not sure I understand what is going on here. Is this really a case of people just leaving the key fob in the car at all times the car is parking in the driveway? Why?

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"stolen" ----

Newark....

left key fob in vehicle...

I need the insurance money so could you steal my car please.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We inadvertently took that risk over a period of about a week earlier this year. Wife didn't realize that the spare key fob was in the car - had slid under a seat/bunch of field gear under the seat. She used her regular key fob as normal for a week, thinking the car was safely locked up. I went out to the driveway one evening to grab something from her car, found I could open door when it should have been locked. Suspected what had happened, tried starting the vehicle and vrooom! Took about 10 minutes of rifling through all hte crap she carries around to find the damned thing.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Is this really a case of people just leaving the key fob in the car at all times the car is parking in the driveway? Why?

It very well could be. Growing up a lot of people I knew just left their keys in the car. I typically would park my car and just drop the keys on the floor. In fact had I ever had a car stolen I would just figure someone had borrowed it.

Granted we live in different times but leaving a key in a car is not all that unfamiliar to me. I actually am more surprised by the cavalier attitude that stealing cars is ok if someone left the key in it. I'm not saying that is the position you are holding but I do hear that regularly when this type of thing happens.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<I actually am more surprised by the cavalier attitude that stealing cars is ok if someone left the key in it.>>

I'm sort of the same way. I get that it's a bonehead move and you shouldn't be surprised if your vehicle gets boosted if you leave key in it, but at the same time, it's not crazy to think that people should keep their hands off what's not theirs.

I like the sign-off on the facebook posts of the Bangor, Maine police dept (which is good for a laugh, btw): "Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another."
Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
<<I actually am more surprised by the cavalier attitude that stealing cars is ok if someone left the key in it.>>

I'm sort of the same way. I get that it's a bonehead move and you shouldn't be surprised if your vehicle gets boosted if you leave key in it, but at the same time, it's not crazy to think that people should keep their hands off what's not theirs.

I like the sign-off on the facebook posts of the Bangor, Maine police dept (which is good for a laugh, btw): "Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another."

Well, the law recognizes this. While burglary does not require forced entry to be a crime, there are degrees of burglary in nearly every jurisdiction that dictate the possible punishment for the offense. Using force (i.e., breaking a car window, picking the car lock, hotwiring the car, etc.) carries higher penalties. So, the law is kinda saying the owner has some obligation. Likewise, some insurance policies carve out coverage exceptions for cases like this where the owner failed to take reasonable efforts to secure his/her property.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our city had something similar happen a month back. Something like 12 reported car thefts, 7 of which had keys/fob in the car. I believe there were also 4 guns reported stolen from the car.

I think people are just not situationally aware. They pull up to their home, leave the fob in the console and just walk in. I do this, but I park in the garage. However, I have gone to the store before and completely forgotten my fob. It only takes a press of a button to turn off the engine, or technically, in eco-mode, my engine cuts out when I open the driver door and definitely when I exit the car. After a few minutes it turns itself off. I
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't lock my car, house, garage, tractor shed. And neither do most of our neighbors. I do take the keys out of the vehicle if only because I don't want my 2 year old losing them in the mess inside :) The other day he 'borrowed' the keys from the tractor (which I DO leave in the ignition) and tried starting the car with them.

I also live nowhere close to Newark so there's that...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
wimsey wrote:

Well, the law recognizes this. While burglary does not require forced entry to be a crime, there are degrees of burglary in nearly every jurisdiction that dictate the possible punishment for the offense. Using force (i.e., breaking a car window, picking the car lock, hotwiring the car, etc.) carries higher penalties. So, the law is kinda saying the owner has some obligation. Likewise, some insurance policies carve out coverage exceptions for cases like this where the owner failed to take reasonable efforts to secure his/her property.

Basically agreed on all points, counselor. Though I could (and therefore will :)) quibble that it's not exactly an obligation on the owner. They can do nothing to secure their property and the offense still exists. But basic point taken.

As to insurance, that's a contract matter, obviously - the insurer has no obligation to insure the property unless and until the owner agrees to terms on which the insurance will be provided (which may include taking reasonable precautions to secure the property), whereas a would-be thief does have an obligation to not fuck with other people's stuff, even in the absence of a contract and even if the owner is an idiot and does nothing to secure his property.
Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [wimsey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wimsey wrote:
JSA wrote:
wimsey wrote:

Basically agreed on all points, counselor. Though I could (and therefore will :)) quibble that it's not exactly an obligation on the owner. They can do nothing to secure their property and the offense still exists. But basic point taken.

As to insurance, that's a contract matter, obviously - the insurer has no obligation to insure the property unless and until the owner agrees to terms on which the insurance will be provided (which may include taking reasonable precautions to secure the property), whereas a would-be thief does have an obligation to not fuck with other people's stuff, even in the absence of a contract and even if the owner is an idiot and does nothing to secure his property.

I'm with ya on all accounts. I expect what I leave on my property to remain on my property. I have nice wood chairs on my front porch and do not feel the need to lock them up at night. I always lock my car, even in the garage, but still, I shouldn't have to do so.

Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [ubdawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ubdawg wrote:
. But leaving the key fob in the car, whole other level of stupid

I agree. But I've done it twice at work. Just forgot to grab it out of the cup holder. Obviously.... don't put it in the cup holder. I try to leave it in my work bag at all times now.

But it's not like the old days with a key that you physically remove from the car. The fob just needs to be in the car. So it's not difficult to forget it.

The argument could be made that I should have it to lock my car. Well, I generally don't bother locking my car when there's nothing in it. If thieves want it that badly, me locking it won't stop them. (assuming the fob is not in the car...)

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
We get a few of these around the Milwaukee area every winter. Person does not have a remote starter. Person goes out to car. Turns on car to warm it up and/or defrost the windshield. Person goes back into house. Car is driven away by thief. I think it is ridiculous, careless, and naive, but, I can understand why the key is in the car. Not sure I understand what is going on here. Is this really a case of people just leaving the key fob in the car at all times the car is parking in the driveway? Why?

These are not thefts of opportunity. These are planned: thieves are from out-of-town (Newark), traveling to the nicer suburbs (despite my living in one of them) and taking expensive late-model cars from driveways, always with the key fob in the unlocked car, in the middle of the night back to Newark.

I would guess that each of these thefts took place within 5-10 minutes drive of major highways (Parkway, Turnpike, 80, etc.) to allow a quick return to home base.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:

These are not thefts of opportunity. These are planned: thieves are from out-of-town (Newark), traveling to the nicer suburbs (despite my living in one of them) and taking expensive late-model cars from driveways, always with the key fob in the unlocked car, in the middle of the night back to Newark.

I would guess that each of these thefts took place within 5-10 minutes drive of major highways (Parkway, Turnpike, 80, etc.) to allow a quick return to home base.

I guess that's my question - why are these folks leaving their key fobs in their cars? Do they keep the doors to their houses unlocked as well?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a recent run on this in my area (SE Denver metro), included in the stupidity, leaving a garage door opener in cars parked on the street or driveway. So not only are cars being stolen.ransacked, but garages being cleaned out of anything valuable.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
klehner wrote:
JSA wrote:

I guess that's my question - why are these folks leaving their key fobs in their cars? Do they keep the doors to their houses unlocked as well?

I have no clue why anyone would do that. Same for those leaving their car idling when they go in for bagels.

I don't always lock my house when I'm home, but nobody is going to steal my house.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My nurse's brother works at local Honda dealership. Arrived at 7 today to open up. Parked his new truck. Walked to door to open up dealership for the day. Had keys with him. Looked outside and literally 45 seconds later someone is driving off in his truck. Still trying to figure out that one. Can some vehicles start with button if key fob is within say 50 metres? Then can you drive off without the fob.?

BLeP wrote:
ubdawg wrote:
. But leaving the key fob in the car, whole other level of stupid

I agree. But I've done it twice at work. Just forgot to grab it out of the cup holder. Obviously.... don't put it in the cup holder. I try to leave it in my work bag at all times now.

But it's not like the old days with a key that you physically remove from the car. The fob just needs to be in the car. So it's not difficult to forget it.

The argument could be made that I should have it to lock my car. Well, I generally don't bother locking my car when there's nothing in it. If thieves want it that badly, me locking it won't stop them. (assuming the fob is not in the car...)

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. But then you can’t start them again.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
My nurse's brother works at local Honda dealership. Arrived at 7 today to open up. Parked his new truck. Walked to door to open up dealership for the day. Had keys with him. Looked outside and literally 45 seconds later someone is driving off in his truck. Still trying to figure out that one. Can some vehicles start with button if key fob is within say 50 metres? Then can you drive off without the fob.?

Depends on the car. Most cars give a warning when the fob has left the interior of the vehicle. The car is supposed to stop and turn off after reaching a certain distance. However, there are devices out there that "trick" the car into thinking the fob is present.

This is a early version: https://www.wired.com/...dgets-can-steal-car/

They have advanced since.

Quote Reply
Re: If you are that stupid... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Yup. But then you can’t start them again.

Not quite true.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply