Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

two Long distance races less than month apart
Quote | Reply
Hello

Anyone has done two full IM races month or less apart?

I am registered for Challange Roth in 07.07.2019
And there is also Ironman Tallinn in 03.08.2019

Since I live 300km from Tallinn it is a big temptation to do the race, but it is 3 weeks from Roth

Anyone has experience racing two full distances in 3 weeks?

My PB is 10:03 in IM Austria 2018 and 2 weeks after I raced Olympic distance (no-draft) and finished 2:03 and I kinda felt that I recovered, but full IM is a different beast than Olympic.
Quote Reply
Re: two Long distance races less than month apart [hrkama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Life is short. Go for it.

And don't hold back at Roth.
Quote Reply
Re: two Long distance races less than month apart [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
And don't hold back at Roth.

I will not hold back, I finally want to do sub 10 :)
I am afraid that my body will hold me back too much for Tallinn :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only one way to find out.

Tick all your boxes in recovery after Roth, from the moment you cross the finish line. Fluids, food, massage, stretch, ice, whatever works for you.

Be mobile the next day. Walk, swim/wallow, stretch, etc.

Gradually return to swimming, cycling, then running. There's no magic or secret recipe.

Then taper again.

Two IM for the price of one training preparation.
Quote Reply
Re: two Long distance races less than month apart [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
satanellus wrote:
Two IM for the price of one training preparation.
Ha Ha. I like that idea :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you and long/what experience in the sport?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: two Long distance races less than month apart [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
How old are you and long/what experience in the sport?

I am 35 have done 3 full IM PB 10:03

5 full seasons AS triathlete, but have done track and long distance running before that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very young!!! :-)!

I think it would be interesting to give it a try. When I was in your age range I several times did IMs 5 weeks apart with week 3 being a big training week. I also did a number of fulls with a half 2 or 3 weeks later with decent results. Be sure to let us know how it goes.

PS - I have done Roth 8 times . . . you will LOVE it!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: two Long distance races less than month apart [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
When I was in your age range I several times did IMs 5 weeks apart with week 3 being a big training week!

Thank's for the encouraging words, most probably I will give it a try
Will do some recovery swims and short rides week after Roth
Second week will do some longer swims and one longer bike, some runs
And then taper week again :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hrkama wrote:
Hello

Anyone has done two full IM races month or less apart?

as mentioned in the fitness chick attempting 50 in 50....

Hillary Biscay did two full IM's a week apart. And WON the second one.

So, yes, someone has done it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go for it. The worst thing that happens is your second IM is a fun day spent swimming, biking and running, and not really a "race". Right?

I am tempted to do something similar with Roth next year and then Lake Placid two weeks later, with Placid being just for funsies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knowing is half the battle, Roth is 11 Months away, Tallin 12 months. You have plenty of time to get fit.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: two Long distance races less than month apart [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha Ha. Interesting. I taught everyone will tell "it will be too hard".
But now i am confident that with proper recovery i can put good performance in both.
By the way IM Tallinn was first time this year and water temperature un Baltic sea was..... 15c :)
Last edited by: hrkama: Aug 8, 18 12:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, go for it. I've done it a few times, both with full/full, full/half and half/full combinations

If I go hard out on the first full, I make the second more sedate unless I want to crash mid run section or get into a mental funk mid bike. If I go a little easier in the first and recover well, the second is usually pretty fast.

Have fun!

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced IM France and IM Austria a week apart a few years ago. I changed my training from going for time in each to focused on recovery in my training and knew when to push and not push in the first to leave my body as recovered as possible for the next. I ran 30 min slower than I normally would have so I didn't go deep in to the pain I would have normally gone. A week later I went 20 min faster for the race (on a much faster and easier course)
A few things I did on the 6 days between was to make sure I kept running and swimming (bike was taken apart for transport through 2 other countries in between)
Drank lots of recovery drinks along with plenty of wine and beer ( hey it was a race-cation in France, Italy and Austria )

My thoughts after the experience were that when you get in the kind of shape you need to be in for a long event, for me was easier to do 2 events close together than try to maintain fitness physically and mentally over multiple weeks or months. It worked for me but like I said I kept my expectations for the races tempered that I wasn't going after any AG or KQ spots that I might normally be chasing and instead focused on the challenge of completing both events.
hope this helps
Chris

---
You'e opinion is only as good as your signature line
-Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hrkama wrote:
Ha Ha. Interesting. I taught everyone will tell "it will be too hard".
But now i am confident that with proper recovery i can put good performance in both.
By the way IM Tallinn was first time this year and water temperature un Baltic sea was..... 15c :)

Of course it will be hard. That's the point of doing any of this right?

If you smash Roth, me mindful of recovery, then treat Tallinn as a party, you will have a great time. If you try to race both, you probably will hate your life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not 2 IMs, but IM followed 13 days later by a tough 100km trail run (harder than IM; average finish times about 40% longer).

Worked out great: PB and age-group win in the IM, PB and 2nd place AG in the Ultra.

Go for it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did Roth and finally got my sub10 in 9:36
First week after Roth did some hiking in Austria
In weekend did long ride
Feeling good and will do little training over the week and some 3hour ride + 45min run in weekend
Will report back how it will go in Tallinn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In 2007 I did IM Louisville and two weeks later did a 24 hour downtown ally cat solo. After 16 hours of racing the Ally Cat, I forgot how to shift gears and had to take a nap. I rode 304 downtown miles, finished 2nd, and completely wrecked my body. I was lethargic and was getting weird rashes. It took a while to get back to normal.

So, to answer your question: Yes! You should!

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply